Educational

Author Topic: New TV. not by choice!  (Read 835 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
New TV. not by choice!
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
my son, apparently, did not want to watch Charlie Brown today.  so he took his sippy cup and threw it at the TV and shattered it.

we had just bought the TV for christmas and the cost to replace it was $600, which i did so reluctantly.
Misunderstood.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: New TV. not by choice!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:07:46 AM »
$2 sippy cup vs. $600 television set, and the sippy cup wins! What a world we live in...  :eyebrow:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »
$2 sippy cup vs. $600 television set, and the sippy cup wins! What a world we live in...  :eyebrow:
he loves his sippy cups.  but today he made a decision to lose them forever.
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:37:32 AM »
That sucks!

My 2yo daughter decided to draw on with black permanent marker, my white wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, a mobile/cell phone, my PS3 controller, a roll of white tape, my white coffee mug, one of the new lounge chairs.

:grrr:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »
Gee, and I thought mine was out of control when he drew a jewel on his forehead in permanant marker and tried to streak naked through the yard when he was 4.

(He was pretending to be an evil "mummy") :zombiefuck:

I got off lucky.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:39 AM »
That sucks!

My 2yo daughter decided to draw on with black permanent marker, my white wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, a mobile/cell phone, my PS3 controller, a roll of white tape, my white coffee mug, one of the new lounge chairs.

Sometimes, a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol will remove black permanent marker marks.  If it won't, then fingernail polish remover might, but you have to be more careful with fingernail polish remover on plastic surfaces.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:22:47 AM »
That sucks!

Sometimes, a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol will remove black permanent marker marks.  If it won't, then fingernail polish remover might, but you have to be more careful with fingernail polish remover on plastic surfaces.

Please do a patch test on my suggestion first, but, I'm pretty sure by memory, the other (weird) option is to squiggle over the permanent marker with fresh permanent marker and it reacts and softens the original mark. You must wipe off immediately while still wet.

Do a patch test first, but I am sure this works.

Your lounge chair is fucked though, most likely  :(. However, do not do anything to try to remove it. Contact a professional carpet/upholstery cleaner. Once you start adding chemicals to fabrics, it makes them unable to guarantee the chemical reaction with your removers with theirs. You'd be surprised what they can remove though, but please don't play with it beforehand.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:46:55 AM by Eclair »

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »
my son, apparently, did not want to watch Charlie Brown today.  so he took his sippy cup and threw it at the TV and shattered it.

we had just bought the TV for christmas and the cost to replace it was $600, which i did so reluctantly.

Is this the toddler version of 'Spitting the Dummy'? (Wonder where he gets that from :laugh:)

No insurance?

You know of course, the real revenge is knowing that you can use this story at really inappropriate times in his life!

My daughter, when she was 8 (and old enough to know better), was left in the car to wait by my ex husband (totally unacceptable, but he never did it again after this). She was hungry and frustrated with waiting and decided to vent her frustrations on the cream vinyl upholstery in his van.

She carved, with her school compass, the words "I STARVING!!" in 3 inch letters diagonally across the upholstery. He kept the car, even as she ventured into high school, which was kind of funny when friends got a lift.

(Don't know why she didn't say "I'm" as she was classed as a gifted child...which makes the story all the more funny.)

To this day, we still say "I starving!!!!" when we are famished. So it's kind of nice that that day is etched in everyones memories.

Maybe your family saying will come to be, "don't throw your sippy cup, get over it"!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:43:31 AM by Eclair »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »
insurance?

we are planning on buying the same model in a month, then puting the broken one back in the box and telling them it must have broken during shipping.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »
insurance?

we are planning on buying the same model in a month, then puting the broken one back in the box and telling them it must have broken during shipping.

A plan, I suppose. I have home and contents insurance, so if something breaks, even by accident, it is replaced.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:56:03 AM »
That sucks!

...I don't see the problem with the PS3 controller - it's black anyway.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »
That sucks!

It was on the analogue stick, and it wiped off okay. It also wiped off the coffee mug with a bit of effort. Keyboard and mouse it isn't budging, lounge chair I'm leaving for the wife to investigate (she used to do doll restoration, so she knows where to get the information from).

If it helps, it was a standard black sharpie.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
insurance?

Good idea. I've done that with dead video game controllers before.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »
My foster sons little brother shot out their new LCD TV when he was about three with an air soft gun only days after they got it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »
That sucks!

It was on the analogue stick, and it wiped off okay. It also wiped off the coffee mug with a bit of effort. Keyboard and mouse it isn't budging, lounge chair I'm leaving for the wife to investigate (she used to do doll restoration, so she knows where to get the information from).

If it helps, it was a standard black sharpie.

Well, maybe the doll restoration stuff will help. Not sure. My father worked in the carpet and upholstery industry for many years, so we always pull in the big guns if it's a dodgy stain that you don't want to muck around with.