Author Topic: National Autistic Society takes on Plank  (Read 894 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
National Autistic Society takes on Plank
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
I wonder how much of an empire he will have left once this takes off...
http://www.autism.org.uk/founders

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
Re: National Autistic Society takes on Plank
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
 :thumbdn:

I thought you meant they were gonna get him done for fraud.  This won't mean shit, people will still go on WP
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »

I thought you meant they were gonna get him done for fraud.  This won't mean shit, people will still go on WP
Yeah - but it makes Plank a lot weaker if he is no longer running anything like the number 1 site...

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
In what way does this initiative compete with Wrong Planet? According to its own stated aims, the NAS is not out to undermine previously-established sites, but to work collaboratively with them:

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2578&a=21126

Firstly we can provide a space that caters for a wide range of people, secondly we have the moderation resources to create a safe space where people new to online networking can gain confidence and thirdly we are planning to promote existing communities and work with them for the benefit of all those affected by autism....

Will there be links to other communities?

Yes we want to make visitors to the NAS site aware of the diverse range of communities already in existence.  Whilst we are aiming to create a successful NAS community we appreciate that many users may value the particular focus and culture of communities that are already established.

We plan to add a listing of existing communities to the home page of the NAS community.

It's a smorgasbord out there. Just because there's going to be a salad bar? Doesn't mean everyone will stop having the soup. (And a big rubber cookie to anyone who mentions drinking Kool-Aid. :smarty: )

The title of this thread is a tad misleading.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:57 AM »
Cool, they are going to open a new community, I hope lot of people join, I wonder if anyone around the world can?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but right now my brain is casting up images of the NAS site as a barren wasteland of security-moms, PC brigadiers, topic-Nazis and house-trained aspies.  I don't think it'll compete with the more grass-roots sites as a place where people can hang out, bitch about their lives and talk about their freakish sexual habits.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:33:06 AM »
This is just sad:

NAS Community Founders

We're very happy that you would like to become a founder of the new NAS Online Community by getting involved in discussions and activities.

How would you like to participate in the community?
I would like to read and comment on discussions
I would like to start a discussion/post a message

If you would like to start a discussion - which topics are you interested in?
Diagnosis
General autism and Asperger issues
Getting support
Education issues
Employment and benefits
Family and relationships
Social skills
Leisure, sports, arts and hobbies
Advocacy
Other

Please give us some more details about what you'd like to discuss...
Please note: if we find lots of people want to start a discussion on the same subject, we will choose one person to start it and everyone else will be free to contribute after that.

Which of these applies to you?
NAS member
NAS volunteer
Staff member
Supporter of the NAS
Professional working with people with autism
Person on the autism spectrum

When I read 'community founder', I thought it would be something a little more glamorous than simply posting on their site.  It's also a nice touch that they have 'Person on the autistic spectrum' at the bottom of their list, and it's nice to know that they'll manage our discussions for us and ensure that we conduct our communications in an orderly and officially sanctioned manner.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:46:26 AM »
Gah. That is condescending. My impression of the NAS was that it was more than just an "Autism-Speaks"-Lite; clearly I was wrong.

Quote from: Peter
a barren wasteland of security-moms, PC brigadiers, topic-Nazis and house-trained aspies

I like it better here. :indeed:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
In what way does this initiative compete with Wrong Planet? According to its own stated aims, the NAS is not out to undermine previously-established sites, but to work collaboratively with them:

Firstly we can provide a space that caters for a wide range of people, secondly we have the moderation resources to create a safe space where people new to online networking can gain confidence and thirdly we are planning to promote existing communities and work with them for the benefit of all those affected by autism....

Yes we want to make visitors to the NAS site aware of the diverse range of communities already in existence.  Whilst we are aiming to create a successful NAS community we appreciate that many users may value the particular focus and culture of communities that are already established.

We plan to add a listing of existing communities to the home page of the NAS community.

It's a smorgasbord out there. Just because there's going to be a salad bar? Doesn't mean everyone will stop having the soup. (And a big rubber cookie to anyone who mentions drinking Kool-Aid. :smarty: )

I so wonder if they will link us  :laugh:

Especially in the light of Peters post.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:11:08 AM »

Thinking......"No"
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 05:20:26 AM »

Yeah - but it makes Plank a lot weaker if he is no longer running anything like the number 1 site...
you assume that he has power.

all he has is the ability to ban people from his website.  thank god for intensity and others like it.  now people have options.
Misunderstood.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »

They should, but OH NOES! We tend to say whatever we feel like, including very naughty things. :zoinks:

So yeah, we won't be likely featured.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:30 AM »

Read between the lines - the fact that they are even mentioning it kind of shows the thinking behind it. Of course I could just email my contacts and ask, they would know certainly what is going on...

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:26 AM »

you assume that he has power.

all he has is the ability to ban people from his website.  thank god for intensity and others like it.  now people have options.
The problem is people like Alex represent us in real life to the politicians, the media and the general problem. It isn't as simple as having a website, but his website happens to be his current main selling point.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »
This is just sad:

NAS Community Founders

We're very happy that you would like to become a founder of the new NAS Online Community by getting involved in discussions and activities.

How would you like to participate in the community?
I would like to read and comment on discussions
I would like to start a discussion/post a message

If you would like to start a discussion - which topics are you interested in?
Diagnosis
General autism and Asperger issues
Getting support
Education issues
Employment and benefits
Family and relationships
Social skills
Leisure, sports, arts and hobbies
Advocacy
Other

Please give us some more details about what you'd like to discuss...
Please note: if we find lots of people want to start a discussion on the same subject, we will choose one person to start it and everyone else will be free to contribute after that.

Which of these applies to you?
NAS member
NAS volunteer
Staff member
Supporter of the NAS
Professional working with people with autism
Person on the autism spectrum

When I read 'community founder', I thought it would be something a little more glamorous than simply posting on their site.  It's also a nice touch that they have 'Person on the autistic spectrum' at the bottom of their list, and it's nice to know that they'll manage our discussions for us and ensure that we conduct our communications in an orderly and officially sanctioned manner.
Don't you see the symmetry here - look at Wrong Planet...