Educational

Author Topic: Study turns up 10 autism clusters in California  (Read 658 times)

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Study turns up 10 autism clusters in California
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
"My child is naughty, let's get a diagnosis! Of some sort."

Ya, it's the same with ADHD when in some cases the child's behavior is due poor and lazy parenting

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
IMO, there's a huge difference between a child with ADHD or autism and one with lazy and poor parents, even though some people assume otherwise if they see a child acting out.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 01:56:56 AM »

Ya, it's the same with ADHD when in some cases the child's behavior is due poor and lazy parenting

IMO, there's a huge difference between a child with ADHD or autism and one with lazy and poor parents, even though some people assume otherwise if they see a child acting out.

IMO, you're right, Callaway. :) It would be silly to deny that "in some cases" where the parents are doing a terrible job of raising their kids, their kids' misbehaviour could look like the popular conception of autistic or ADHD behaviour. To the casual observer. For maybe about five minutes. Then "in some cases" it becomes apparent that Mum's seemingly-unconcerned detachment is actually a thin layer of hard-won calm and steely self-discipline over a seething cauldron of "these assholes watching me and judging me get to put up with my kid for maybe another few minutes, and then it's over. I get to handle it for another decade. At least. Fuck 'em." :grrr:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 05:35:20 AM »
Poor parenting doesn't help though, just like with NT's. I read a big book recently on parental experiences and the obvious theme is that they were parenting too nicely. We need strict but fair parenting, which encourages a sense of respect. Including the odd beating here and there if needs be.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
I don't find it surprising, like attracts like. People of certain ethnic cultures and beliefs form clusters in different communities, why not those with autism or the same traits as well?

If you have the money and are looking to buy a home and raise kids, are you going to pick the neighborhood with people you can relate to and hope to fit in with, or with those you can't?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
I don't find it surprising, like attracts like. People of certain ethnic cultures and beliefs form clusters in different communities, why not those with autism or the same traits as well?

If you have the money and are looking to buy a home and raise kids, are you going to pick the neighborhood with people you can relate to and hope to fit in with, or with those you can't?
The difference is that it would have to be done deliberately for your theory to work. Unless all those towns have a hi-tech emphasis or a university / something else on those lines, then those observations cannot be explained entirely by your theory.

They could be better explained by the social expecations being more difficult to meet, especially as it is a lot harder for my generation to meet them as opposed your generation, and again with the generation coming up below me.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
Poor parenting doesn't help though, just like with NT's. I read a big book recently on parental experiences and the obvious theme is that they were parenting too nicely. We need strict but fair parenting, which encourages a sense of respect. Including the odd beating here and there if needs be.

I hope you are kidding or just exaggerating and trying to make some point here, Hadron.

I think that if children were beaten, it would only make them more aggressive toward other people, which would be less respectful toward others instead of more.

Were you ever beaten?

Even though I know of many parents who believe that physical discipline is never justified under any circumstances, I'm not saying that.  I have spanked my daughter myself a few times because I was unable to find another way to impress upon her the devastating consequences that could result from behavior which endangered her life.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

IMO, you're right, Callaway. :) It would be silly to deny that "in some cases" where the parents are doing a terrible job of raising their kids, their kids' misbehaviour could look like the popular conception of autistic or ADHD behaviour. To the casual observer. For maybe about five minutes. Then "in some cases" it becomes apparent that Mum's seemingly-unconcerned detachment is actually a thin layer of hard-won calm and steely self-discipline over a seething cauldron of "these assholes watching me and judging me get to put up with my kid for maybe another few minutes, and then it's over. I get to handle it for another decade. At least. Fuck 'em." :grrr:

I think you have an excellent understanding of the real situation, SleepyDragon.

;D

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »

I hope you are kidding or just exaggerating and trying to make some point here, Hadron.

I think that if children were beaten, it would only make them more aggressive toward other people, which would be less respectful toward others instead of more.

Were you ever beaten?

Even though I know of many parents who believe that physical discipline is never justified under any circumstances, I'm not saying that.  I have spanked my daughter myself a few times because I was unable to find another way to impress upon her the devastating consequences that could result from behavior which endangered her life.
No I wasn't, but I did have strict parents. But one thing I will say is that beating and the cane worked, schools previously had discipline and now they lack it. The consequences of the loony lefts convinction against spanking means instead now children are being utterly failed by the system. What happens is they are wrapped in cotton wool until 16, it gets cut off and they get wrecked by the real world. The world is a cruel place and children need to learn it when growing up. Even more, they need to learn respect. In the UK, our society is degenerating. I am not sure it has quite hit the US yet, but there is lots of evidence that I am right.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »

Polarities (yes, there is middleground):

"Please help my child; I've tried, but there's something about him/her that I can't take care of on my own."
versus
"Give my kid a pill so I don't have to sit and help him with his homework."
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.