Author Topic: LOOK at our super new awesome cool crossing  (Read 673 times)

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: LOOK at our super new awesome cool crossing
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »
It's weird in the video because you see everybody from all 4 directions come into the center and more or less stop.  It's like the majority of people don't realize that you can walk right over the paint lines to where you're going, instead they all walk straight into the center and get stuck.  Then again, I can think of far worse intersections here in the US, but they're not usually brand new like that.

For the amount of money that looks like it was spent on designing this intersection, one would think they could've just built a footbridge that connects to all 4 corners allowing pedestrians to cross without ever stopping the traffic.

In the link in the OP, there's a video showing the intersection, I noticed that the volume in the flash player not only shows the number, but it goes up to eleven.  I wonder if the web designer at the BBC that created this player was a Spinal-Tap fan
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Blasted

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
I used it. Wasnt that great, too many people. Cant imagine it closer to xmas :aff:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »

Minneapolis has a skyway system through most of downtown:

Traffic isn't that bad, the city isn't anywhere near the size of London. Really nice in the winter though.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
is that the light rail you were telling me about?

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

Nope, light rail is on the ground:

The skyway is an interconnected elevated walkway between most of the taller buildings downtown.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
Oooh! right. Now I remember. Streetcar meets above ground subway.

We have something called PATH in Toronto. It's a city underground and a huge chunk of the downtown core can be accessed by it. You can leave your hotel, go underground and walk blocks to your meeting and never step foot outside. There's lots of stores and things there too. It's a total of 27 kms in underground pathways. It's in the Guiness Book of World Records.

http://www.toronto.ca/path/

When the oldest was a toddler, he had awful sleep cycles so I used to take him there in the winter and let him run around since it was nearly empty later at night. It's never really busy at all.

Blasted

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
Warsaw has a lot of undergroumd tunnels like that. They are full of dodgy people tho

P7PSP

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 01:21:38 AM »
Warsaw has a lot of undergroumd tunnels like that. They are full of dodgy people tho
Poles?

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 01:44:08 AM »
Someone is going to get hit by a car there soon.   It is just something that happens at street intersections that have a lot of pedestrian traffic.

it should have a round platform in the middle. that way you could cross safely.
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon

Blasted

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
Yes, most Polskis are dodgy people :( drunks and tramps the lot of them.

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 03:56:20 AM »
underground tunnels are disgusting. all the dodgies gather there to loiter and pee.
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon

Celticgoddess

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »
The ones here are really clean and safe. They look like malls.

I just realized we have a second crossing like that at Yonge/Bloor. I was driving downtown last night and saw it.

I don't think you need a centre thingy to cross safely. I've used them a bunch of time. Lots of time to cross here.

P7PSP

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »

I just realized we have a second crossing like that at Yonge/Bloor. I was driving downtown last night and saw it.

I don't think you need a centre thingy to cross safely. I've used them a bunch of time. Lots of time to cross here.
Canadians have to try and make everyone else look bad. Here we like to have dodgie people and urine smelling underground stuff to keep in touch with our European roots. :zoinks: :thumbup: :indeed:

Celticgoddess

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:06 AM »

Canadians have to try and make everyone else look bad. Here we like to have dodgie people and urine smelling underground stuff to keep in touch with our European roots. :zoinks: :thumbup: :indeed:

:lol:

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
Back in the early 70s a young Western-Canadian woman of my acquaintance was very excited at the idea of going to Toronto for the first time and getting to see "a grubby subway." Imagine her disappointment when she got there and discovered that they were all spick 'n' span and looked like they were completely done up in bathroom tiles. Booooorrrring. Moviemakers who were using Toronto for a shooting location had to strew garbage around the sets to make them look more authentically gritty-urban-American. Montreal is a bit funkier, and I like the fact that, similar to Toronto and Winnipeg, you can wander around the subterranean pathways under Montreal for miles without having to go up to street level and face the bitter winter winds.