Educational

Author Topic: Cognitive behavioral therapy  (Read 1208 times)

Blasted

Re: Cognitive behavioral therapy
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »
 :-*

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Blasted

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
When I was younger, for "social anxiety".

What my counselor couldn't seem to grasp at the time was that their was no "anxiety", I just don't really like being around people. :laugh:

Blasted

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
What did you have to do as part of the therapy?  :P

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
Obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't be here.  If I attempted suicide, it'd work.  I wouldn't just do it for attention, or to try and be more emo, like some people eh!

:hahaha:
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Blasted

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
Obviously not, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I'm sorry you didn't succeed  :(

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
Haha good one, like I said, its not something i'd fuck up.

And people usually who cut themselves don't blab about it, they're ashamed, but can't help it.  Why don't you just try being yourself?  Cutting and trying to find a sexuality group you can fit into, isn't cool.

Blasted

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
Haha good one, like I said, its not something i'd fuck up.

And people usually who cut themselves don't blab about it, they're ashamed, but can't help it.  Why don't you just try being yourself?  Cutting and trying to find a sexuality group you can fit into, isn't cool.

Where did you get the impression that I cut myself?  :lol:

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »
your face

Blasted

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 04:55:18 PM »
I bet your arms are full of scars :moon:

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
My arms are actually perfect, my best feature.  I wouldn't spoil them with scars.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »
Has anyone had it?  Does it work?

It's one of the more popular forms of therapy now to my understanding, because it's so concrete and measurable (and possibly because it's so teachable, lol).  The idea is that you can control your behaviors and your thoughts, and that is you control those things you can (in a slightly more roundabout way) control your emotions.  It's sorta cerebral; I like the theoretic background probably because of that, and because it gives so much control.  The homework part comes into play because you're supposed to be learning how to deal with your everyday shit, so you're supposed to put it in practice between sessions.

Don't think CBT is usually used to "treat autism" but I think it would be useful for the common comorbid anxiety/depressive shit, especially- behavioral interventions are typically very good for anxiety, and cognitive/CBT things are typically very good for depression.

I'd add that DBT (dialectical-behavioral therapy) might get thrown at you someday, Bint, if you have BPD (I think you said you did- apologies if wrong).  Last I checked it was the New Big Thing for BPD- a bit like EMDR for PTSD, although either EMDR was a Big Thing, or it's a bit on the fringe, still- not totally sure, it seems "out there" to me but hey, if it helps, it helps.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Blasted

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
Has anyone had it?  Does it work?

It's one of the more popular forms of therapy now to my understanding, because it's so concrete and measurable (and possibly because it's so teachable, lol).  The idea is that you can control your behaviors and your thoughts, and that is you control those things you can (in a slightly more roundabout way) control your emotions.  It's sorta cerebral; I like the theoretic background probably because of that, and because it gives so much control.  The homework part comes into play because you're supposed to be learning how to deal with your everyday shit, so you're supposed to put it in practice between sessions.

Don't think CBT is usually used to "treat autism" but I think it would be useful for the common comorbid anxiety/depressive shit, especially- behavioral interventions are typically very good for anxiety, and cognitive/CBT things are typically very good for depression.

I'd add that DBT (dialectical-behavioral therapy) might get thrown at you someday, Bint, if you have BPD (I think you said you did- apologies if wrong).  Last I checked it was the New Big Thing for BPD- a bit like EMDR for PTSD, although either EMDR was a Big Thing, or it's a bit on the fringe, still- not totally sure, it seems "out there" to me but hey, if it helps, it helps.

Thanks for that, yeah I do have BPD and a host of other shit I need to sort out  :laugh:

I'm not sure whether I'm keen on the "homework" part of this but I'll see.  Whatever it's gonna be, it's definitely better than sitting in a group of silly woman listening to a guy chat shit at me.

TheoK

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Don't do it.  :thumbdn: