Educational

Author Topic: people's preoccupation with each other / gossiping / nosey bastards  (Read 1306 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: people's preoccupation with each other / gossiping / nosey bastards
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 06:44:32 AM »
You have to know what's going on around you where you live. I think it's a safety issue.

Plus being too friendly with neighbours can be a curse. Sometimes they think they can impose on you more than you are willing to give, and when you say no, they make it their lifes work to get revenge.

Yeah, and that's why I prefer the 'keeps to themselves but somewhat friendly' type neighbours. But on an unrelated note: I find it awkward when someone's too friendly with me, because I'm extremely shy or disinterested in small talk in public. It's especially uncomfortable when I'm in a hotel room and people are gathered outside at the tables (this one place I go to has a outdoor dining area), I wonder if "should I say G'day or not? as I walk by, or leave them alone?"

I feel the same way.  I never know when I should say hi so mostly I avoid people at all costs  
I've learned to vaguely smile and hold up a hand as I walk by and say "Morning/afternoon/evining/night" or "hihowyadoin'."  Seems to be the standard.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:24 AM »
I think I'm very friendly to people actually. I don't talk much, but that's because I'm not good at conversations and so I don't think of a response fast enough sometimes. I try though, and I smile/laugh at their jokes. I also help them if I can, like when a dog escapes or if they don't have enough money at the shop. I think I probably put more effort into being nice to neighbours than most people do tbh

I just don't get why anyone cares if I dress weird or they don't know what sex I am

I can understand them gossipping about me having AS though, or not having a job

People talk about me that way too. About the job etc, I stopped caring. But it annoys me that I can't go out in riding boots and cape without people thinking I'm crazy.

Meh, fuck em. I'll wear my black jedi cloak in public sometimes and people look and stuff. I think it's amusing.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
i do try to get on with people if i meet them. IMO i put more effort into being nice to people than most do

i don't know if people do talk behind my back or not, but i've heard people say things about other people behind their back (which could easily be applied to me), when they'd be nice to them to their face obviously

i don't expect people to treat each other like shit or anything, but sitting slagging them off and going on about how that weirdo over the street has a penis (omg) or that guy down the road is a bit weird and never goes out. that kinda thing annoys me. if you actually think there's something you need to be concerned about, then fine. but people usually just do it coz they like moaning about people and sticking their nose into things that are none of their business

anyway i smile at people i walk past (except teenagers and young people, as i could get a punch in the face from some of them), and i respond if people talk to me.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
i do try to get on with people if i meet them. IMO i put more effort into being nice to people than most do

i don't know if people do talk behind my back or not, but i've heard people say things about other people behind their back (which could easily be applied to me), when they'd be nice to them to their face obviously

i don't expect people to treat each other like shit or anything, but sitting slagging them off and going on about how that weirdo over the street has a penis (omg) or that guy down the road is a bit weird and never goes out. that kinda thing annoys me. if you actually think there's something you need to be concerned about, then fine. but people usually just do it coz they like moaning about people and sticking their nose into things that are none of their business

anyway i smile at people i walk past (except teenagers and young people, as i could get a punch in the face from some of them), and i respond if people talk to me.

If people you know talk about other behind their back in front of you, then you can be sure they do the same to you. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless they are out to get you or frame you for shit they are doing.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:51 AM »
yeah I try not to think about it too much really. I wouldn't say it;s something I worry about as such, just something i find really annoying, like women who talk too much in general. it just irritates me. people can think what they like though, and will.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »
Me, I just dress how I feel and do what I want. I don't let anyone get to me when I'm walking around. If some dickwad says something, I'll just keep walking as if I didn't hear them. As far as clothes are concerned, I mostly wear football jerseys and sports stuff, with my bandannas, so as far as trying to tart myself up, fuck it.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »
it's the extremes I don't like - people either just give you a dirty look but don't actually say anything (can't blame them for that though... and my mum reckons I imagine this  :P ), or you risk getting beaten up

if I'm in a bad mood though, I do it too. usually when I see an ugly and/or fat slut dressed like a prostitute

Offline Soleiyu

• Racist leach sucking on the government tit
  • SINBINNED
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
it's the extremes I don't like - people either just give you a dirty look but don't actually say anything (can't blame them for that though... and my mum reckons I imagine this  :P ), or you risk getting beaten up

if I'm in a bad mood though, I do it too. usually when I see an ugly and/or fat slut dressed like a prostitute

My mom made an entire society alienate and patronize me when she went public with the diagnosis, people started avoiding me etc, and yet she claims I must have been imagining.
Kick me

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
A lot of us do tend to think it's worse than it actually is, I think (probably because of bad experiences in school and other social situations, so we assume everyone's thinking this and that), but we don't imagine ALL of it

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »
As I said to my supervisor today, "See?  People ARE saying and thinking bad things about me!!!"   :green:

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 12:59:01 AM »
Not all gossip is malicious, as others have pointed out. At its most harmless, it keeps everyone in the neighbourhood well-enough informed about each other's doings that basic civility is maintained and anomalies are noticed. For example, Mr and Mrs X are away for the week, and therefore no-one should be prowling around their house and yard. The Y family has just bought one of those massive 4WDs in some hideous colour, and since we know it's theirs, we just do a quiet eyeroll when it passes in the street instead of going, "Who in flamin' hell is that?!" The Z house is up for sale because a) Mr and Mrs Z have both found more congenial partners in other parts of town, or b) sadly, the lady they were renting it from has passed away, or c) they've just won Lotto and have moved to Queensland.

Then there are the people who have a sense of community-mindedness and a genuine desire to help others. Usually they are active in the local church etc., and can be tolerated as long as they are not overzealous in sticking their snouts into your affairs.

And then there are all the ones who are malicious or judgmental. I used to worry quite a lot about what such people might be saying about me & mine. But I'm finding as I grow older that I don't give a rat's arse about what they say. So long as they don't do anything actively harmful, they can think whatever they damned-well want.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 02:23:43 AM »
And then there are the neighbours who will help you fix up things if you are having trouble doing it yourself, like fixing the fence or mowing the lawn, or cleaning the gutters.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 02:32:10 AM »
And then there are neighbours who know where to buy weed for you  :evillaugh:

Offline Untermensch

• Galactic Dictator
  • Constant Poster
  • Sub-human scum
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 03:12:36 AM »
And then there are neighbours who know where to buy weed for you  :evillaugh:

I actually had a next door neighbour who was a drug dealer. However I did not know this fact for five years, until she was arrested and the story made the local newspaper.  :facepalm:
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
-- Richard Dawkins

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 04:24:06 AM »
I actually had a next door neighbour who was a drug dealer. However I did not know this fact for five years, until she was arrested and the story made the local newspaper.  :facepalm:
Oooh, scaaaarrrrry.    :laugh:

I'm finding as I grow older that I don't give a rat's arse about what they say. So long as they don't do anything actively harmful, they can think whatever they damned-well want.
I've noticed that this is one of the major upsides of getting older- stupid shit bothers you less.