Educational

Author Topic: people's preoccupation with each other / gossiping / nosey bastards  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
this is one of the things which really annoys me about people, and has made me more cynical about people

why does practically everyone seem to interested in what their neighbours are up to?

i find it very hard to trust people who are being nice to my face, because you know they are probably judging you badly for being a bit of a spazz, or dressing weirdly or whatever

obviously this is nothing to, and you get it in various ways (ie the kind you get in high schools), but i find it really annoying

maybe because i'm just not interested at all, and can't see why people would enjoy discussing boring things about the bloke down the road

the parents of other kids at my brothers' school are often nice to me, but i just know that the majority of them are thinking "wow, i wonder what's wrong with that idiot?"

i don't get why people care about other people so much

and about such trivial fucking things like what they're wearing or something

jeeeeeeeeeeez

(i've finished now :wanker: )

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: people's preoccupation with each other / gossiping / nosey bastards
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
this is one of the things which really annoys me about people, and has made me more cynical about people

why does practically everyone seem to interested in what their neighbours are up to?

i find it very hard to trust people who are being nice to my face, because you know they are probably judging you badly for being a bit of a spazz, or dressing weirdly or whatever

obviously this is nothing to, and you get it in various ways (ie the kind you get in high schools), but i find it really annoying

maybe because i'm just not interested at all, and can't see why people would enjoy discussing boring things about the bloke down the road

the parents of other kids at my brothers' school are often nice to me, but i just know that the majority of them are thinking "wow, i wonder what's wrong with that idiot?"

i don't get why people care about other people so much

and about such trivial fucking things like what they're wearing or something

jeeeeeeeeeeez

(i've finished now :wanker: )

This is easy.

Because looking at other people's flaws is a diversion from their own. It's human nature to look at other people's problem so you can feel better about your own.

Another reason is Jealousy. Why do you think tabloids exist? People are jealous of celebrities and their success and it makes them feel better to look their (the celebrities) dirty laundry so they won;t feel as bad about being an average loser.

Now with all that said someone who is mentally healthy, has high self esteem, is mature, etc will  not have the need to bring others down to feel better about themselves.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »

If you know what types of people you're living near, you know what types of problems, if any, you may encounter with them.

If you're friendly with your neighbors, you might become friends with them, or at the very least, build up enough of a positive association with them that they'd help you in a pinch (for example, letting you use their phone if you got locked out of your house).

Fellow neighbors and their eccentricities seem likely fodder for "small talk" 1. because it's something you have in common with your other neighbors and 2. because it's a way to validate (or disconfirm) opinions, intruitions or concerns about the people you live close to.  Like office gossip.  It may suck that it happens, but it makes perfect sense that it does, too.

That kind of paranoia's self-fulfilling.  If you expect to not be liked by others, you'll act unfriendly, which turns people off to you.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:02:16 PM »
I think I'm very friendly to people actually. I don't talk much, but that's because I'm not good at conversations and so I don't think of a response fast enough sometimes. I try though, and I smile/laugh at their jokes. I also help them if I can, like when a dog escapes or if they don't have enough money at the shop. I think I probably put more effort into being nice to neighbours than most people do tbh

I just don't get why anyone cares if I dress weird or they don't know what sex I am

I can understand them gossipping about me having AS though, or not having a job
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:03:56 PM by bgfrdjfjhkb »

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
I think I'm very friendly to people actually. I don't talk much, but that's because I'm not good at conversations and so I don't think of a response fast enough sometimes. I try though, and I smile/laugh at their jokes. I also help them if I can, like when a dog escapes or if they don't have enough money at the shop. I think I probably put more effort into being nice to neighbours than most people do tbh

I just don't get why anyone cares if I dress weird or they don't know what sex I am

are you sure people are talking about you or are you just paranoid/insecure?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
I only want to know what the neighbors are up to in case it affects me.  I don't gossip though and don't care what people do as long as they leave me alone
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »
I only want to know what the neighbors are up to in case it affects me.  I don't gossip though and don't care what people do as long as they leave me alone

Same here.

I basically just like to have a "heads up" in case shit hits the fan. I hate surprises, and waking up to 6 police cars lined up next to my house at 7:00 am would really screw up my morning coffee.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »
I only want to know what the neighbors are up to in case it affects me.  I don't gossip though and don't care what people do as long as they leave me alone

Same here.

I basically just like to have a "heads up" in case shit hits the fan. I hate surprises, and waking up to 6 police cars lined up next to my house at 7:00 am would really screw up my morning coffee.

Same here also. Although funnily enough, that's actually happened, but with a few undercover cars and they raided a house a few house spaces from ours. Turns out the neighbours there had stolen a lot of electrical goods from all over town. There has been an attempted murder too at the same house (different owner back then though).
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
It's better to try to get on with your neighbours if something happens, but it's also wise to keep to yourself as well so as to not cause trouble. Ay for example you decide to take up drumming or want to have a party, a 'heads up' to them isn't a bad idea. Generally they won't give a shit. Same as if they came to you and did the same thing - you'd probably say 'meh, go ahead' if it wasn't a problem.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:06:29 AM »
You have to know what's going on around you where you live. I think it's a safety issue.

Plus being too friendly with neighbours can be a curse. Sometimes they think they can impose on you more than you are willing to give, and when you say no, they make it their lifes work to get revenge.

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:06 AM »
Denial and projection. Simplest psychology.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 03:18:52 AM »
You have to know what's going on around you where you live. I think it's a safety issue.

Plus being too friendly with neighbours can be a curse. Sometimes they think they can impose on you more than you are willing to give, and when you say no, they make it their lifes work to get revenge.

Yeah, and that's why I prefer the 'keeps to themselves but somewhat friendly' type neighbours. But on an unrelated note: I find it awkward when someone's too friendly with me, because I'm extremely shy or disinterested in small talk in public. It's especially uncomfortable when I'm in a hotel room and people are gathered outside at the tables (this one place I go to has a outdoor dining area), I wonder if "should I say G'day or not? as I walk by, or leave them alone?"
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59:09 AM »

Yeah, and that's why I prefer the 'keeps to themselves but somewhat friendly' type neighbours. But on an unrelated note: I find it awkward when someone's too friendly with me, because I'm extremely shy or disinterested in small talk in public. It's especially uncomfortable when I'm in a hotel room and people are gathered outside at the tables (this one place I go to has a outdoor dining area), I wonder if "should I say G'day or not? as I walk by, or leave them alone?"

I feel the same way.  I never know when I should say hi so mostly I avoid people at all costs 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 05:00:02 AM »

I'm the same, I like neighbours that I know nothing about and don't even know what they look like because they keep to themselves that much.

Offline Soleiyu

• Racist leach sucking on the government tit
  • SINBINNED
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 05:29:27 AM »

People talk about me that way too. About the job etc, I stopped caring. But it annoys me that I can't go out in riding boots and cape without people thinking I'm crazy.
Kick me