Author Topic: Ask Soleiyu some shit  (Read 11703 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Ask Soleiyu some shit
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
Five years is not long enough to eliminate conventions supported by several generations.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Untermensch

• Galactic Dictator
  • Constant Poster
  • Sub-human scum
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
Yes, over here we get to use the wonderful name dunny.

:zoinks:
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
-- Richard Dawkins

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2009, 07:40:24 AM »
Some explanations for the origin of the term "loo" are given HERE and HERE. I think the one that is closest to being correct is this one:

When people flung their potty waste out of the window, they would shout "Gardez l'eau" [gar-day low]. That's French for "watch out for the water".

... except that I think they might have been saying "Gardez lieu!" [Gardy-loo, i.e. "Don't move, stay put!"] as they merrily tossed the contents of the chamber pot out the window. That's my theory, anyway. ;D

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
Some explanations for the origin of the term "loo" are given HERE and HERE. I think the one that is closest to being correct is this one:

When people flung their potty waste out of the window, they would shout "Gardez l'eau" [gar-day low]. That's French for "watch out for the water".

... except that I think they might have been saying "Gardez lieu!" [Gardy-loo, i.e. "Don't move, stay put!"] as they merrily tossed the contents of the chamber pot out the window. That's my theory, anyway. ;D

People back then were no better than monkeys, flinging their poop.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
The word 'toilet' is often used in some form on public signs here, and common alternatives are 'ladies'/'gents', or male and female pictograms, with the latter two being more common in more up-market environments.  Toilet is also commonly used in the names of and advertising for toilet cleaner, toilet brushes, toilet paper etc, and is considered perfectly acceptable for use in day-time TV adverts.  There's also eau du toilette (toilet water), which is a weak perfume that I think is supposed to be applied over the course of an evening as the original, stronger application of perfume wears off.  

Lavatory might be a preferred alternative to toilet among certain elite social groups, and the usage of lavatory vs toilet between social groups might have been what Vivi was referring to, but toilet has a very high degree of public acceptance, and using it wouldn't mark someone as filth unless you take 'filth' as encompassing >99% of the population.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »
Five years is not long enough to eliminate conventions supported by several generations.
It is in this country.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2009, 10:48:33 AM »
Loo, shitter, toilet, lavatory... does it really matter?

Poor Irish spud farmers used to call them "lavatories" before turning to the more modern "bog".

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2009, 02:35:15 PM »
It is in this country.

You're kidding,. right?! Your country is still a strict class hierarchy. Ask any sociologist. Takes a lot longer than five years to change that (and a lot more than the desire to change the facts).

Lavatory might be a preferred alternative to toilet among certain elite social groups, and the usage of lavatory vs toilet between social groups might have been what Vivi was referring to, but toilet has a very high degree of public acceptance, and using it wouldn't mark someone as filth unless you take 'filth' as encompassing >99% of the population.

Acceptance is one thing, actual usage is another. Vivi was specifically talking about the word "loo" as opposed to "toilet", an considering what she does for a living, her words carry a lot of weight.

Loo, shitter, toilet, lavatory... does it really matter?

No, of course not. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
I act posh according to friends :toporly:  Also, apparently I have a posh voice :aff:  Just cause I don't say stuff like "safe blud" or "wag 1".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:43:15 PM by Miss Bint »

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »
It is in this country.

You're kidding,. right?! Your country is still a strict class hierarchy. Ask any sociologist. Takes a lot longer than five years to change that (and a lot more than the desire to change the facts).

The upper class frequently ditch terms, for the simple reason if the lower classes copy something, they have to ditch it. It can happen very quickly on occasion.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
It is in this country.

The upper class frequently ditch terms, for the simple reason if the lower classes copy something, they have to ditch it. It can happen very quickly on occasion.

Doesn't happen that fast; a sociological change takes longer than that for such a group because they are, in fact, not one group in that they can act as a group on a single issue.

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
But it makes you wonder though, can social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter, be powerful enough to exert faster sociological change once most of the population is using it?
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2009, 03:34:47 AM »
It is in this country.

Doesn't happen that fast; a sociological change takes longer than that for such a group because they are, in fact, not one group in that they can act as a group on a single issue.

Its not a sociological change, its a linguistic change. Remember in the UK, most people aspire to be a higher class.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:58 AM »

These are very interesting links, SleepyDragon.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »
But it makes you wonder though, can social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter, be powerful enough to exert faster sociological change once most of the population is using it?

Probably if a big enough part is using it.

- Albert Einstein