Author Topic: cursing  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: cursing
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
Jay and Silent Bob have made me immune to cursing.
Cursing has never really bothered me. My mom is probably the only person I know who curses in anger. My friends curse a lot, but not in a way that makes people uncomfortable. I think it helps that they use a normal tone of voice when they curse, and sometimes even do the sing-song voice like in the video I posted. I don't hold it against anyone's intelligence if they curse a lot. The only time I view it in a negative way is if cursing is used in an aggressive manner during a debate because the person can't handle hearing different opinions, or when people curse around little kids(the possible result is funny in movies((again see video)) but in real life not so funny.

Okay replaced the video with the added minute of their moms.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:33:17 PM by How do you like me so far? »
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
You wouldn't last a day in London  :laugh:  Out of curiosity, what is the penalty for someone swearing in public?  Do they go jail or pay a fine? :aff:

It depends on where you live in the US.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/wb/xp-51711

When Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control agents swooped down upon Corned Beef & Co. a year ago, they busted more than just the downtown nightspot. Fourteen patrons got a ride in the paddy wagon, arrested for, among other things, swearing or intoxication.

Swearing or intoxication. Virginia law lumps the two into the same statute. "If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public ... he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor." Stumble down the street blitzed or swear in Fishburn Park, and you face up to a $250 fine....

I checked with Roanoke Commonwealth Attorney Don Caldwell to find out if his office had ever prosecuted someone for swearing in public.

"I'm sure we have," he responded.

I'm sure I'm flabbergasted.

Caldwell explained that public swearing prosecutions, though uncommon, do happen. More common are charges under a different swearing statute that prohibits violent, abusive language directed toward someone or his relatives "under circumstances calculated to provoke a breach of the peace." That Class 3 misdemeanor could cost you $500...

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »
There was a Dr Phil episode on TV here yesterday about the n-word, or nigger as we all know it to be. Blacks were arguing that, even though it was a word made up by whites to denigrate them 200-odd years ago, they should be able to use it whenever they see fit. But if a white person said nigger, then the blacks would scream bloody murder and have them for racial hatred.

The point is, these words like nigger, cunt, bastard, fuckstick etc are only WORDS, and while someone might get offended, the word will still exist. Some of these idiots on this show suggested that the word nigger be expunged from the language.... My reaction would have been 'then if it's one out, all out'. Nobody then would be able to use any word, be it shit, cunt, faggot, turd or anything else.

We had some dude here write this book called 'Bastards I Have Met' and he was an ocker Aussie named Sam Weller. The book gives examples of how the word is used, and has a lighthearted look at the etimology and use of it. Do a search on Google or Amazon, it might still be in print.

Just checked. Try this link: http://www.booksandcollectibles.com.au/dump/COBARGO_ANTIQUES_BOOKS_COLLECTIBLES/books-0000/796.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:27:09 PM by The_Chosen_One »

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »
You wouldn't last a day in London  :laugh:  Out of curiosity, what is the penalty for someone swearing in public?  Do they go jail or pay a fine? :aff:

No they just get kicked out of places or get asked to leave or refrain from the swearing. I heard people used to get arrested for cursing in public but that changed simply because it was a violation of freedom of speech and it's in our constitution. But it doesn't cover public places like stores or restaurants, businesses, buses, trains, so they are allowed to make their own rules and so are people in their homes.

PS I've been to London and didn't hear any swearing. I guess I wasn't in the right spots to hear it.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
Jay and Silent Bob have made me immune to cursing.
Lol, on the right day, I can match that level of profanity.

Then again I hang out with New Englanders who use "fuckin'" as an acceptable substitute for "umm" and "err."
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »

It depends on where you live in the US.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/wb/xp-51711

When Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control agents swooped down upon Corned Beef & Co. a year ago, they busted more than just the downtown nightspot. Fourteen patrons got a ride in the paddy wagon, arrested for, among other things, swearing or intoxication.

Swearing or intoxication. Virginia law lumps the two into the same statute. "If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public ... he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor." Stumble down the street blitzed or swear in Fishburn Park, and you face up to a $250 fine....

I checked with Roanoke Commonwealth Attorney Don Caldwell to find out if his office had ever prosecuted someone for swearing in public.

"I'm sure we have," he responded.

I'm sure I'm flabbergasted.

Caldwell explained that public swearing prosecutions, though uncommon, do happen. More common are charges under a different swearing statute that prohibits violent, abusive language directed toward someone or his relatives "under circumstances calculated to provoke a breach of the peace." That Class 3 misdemeanor could cost you $500...

People can still get arrested for cursing? Wow. My parents said it wasn't illegal anymore.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »
Check out these weird laws from the US. These ones are real, and still on the books:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~swenze1/laws.html

http://www.azzit.de/humor/30.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:28:42 PM by The_Chosen_One »

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
"In Globe, it is illigal to play cards in the street with a Native American."

i know the story behind this one...

there was a native in globe who made a living giving tarrot readings on the street. the old christian rednecks got scared. while they couldnt illegalize tarrot readings, they could illegalize playing cards. political history in that town is flat out something out of the twilight zone.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »

That's just it. They sound ridiculous, but there is always a story behind them.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
"In Globe, it is illigal to play cards in the street with a Native American."

i know the story behind this one...

there was a native in globe who made a living giving tarrot readings on the street. the old christian rednecks got scared. while they couldnt illegalize tarrot readings, they could illegalize playing cards. political history in that town is flat out something out of the twilight zone.

There are some funny fucking things there.

This one is a scream:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
Lol in Spokane:

No one may kneel on a pedestrian skywalk.
Spitting on city buses is outlawed.
Persons may not wear a life jacket near the Spokane River.
TV’s may not be bought on Sundays.

www.dumblaws.com

In Washington, you can't drive down to Oregon to buy stuff to avoid sales tax and lollipops are banned.

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 10:08:52 PM »
We have weird laws in Europe too. For example: in Sweden it's legal to buy as much ammonium nitrate as you want, as long as it's not supposed to be used as an explosive. AN was the explosive used in the Oklahoma City bomb. It's also allowed to buy most chemicals but not to mix them. You also cannot be prosecuted for making an illegal explosive if it isn't on a list by an authority called SÄI ("Explosive Materials Inspection").

You can claim an illegal substance as your property - it's your legal right.

Zoophilia is also legal, as long as the animal "doesn't suffer physical or mental pain", in which case it can be up to two years in jail.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:14:11 PM »
We have weird laws in Europe too. For example: in Sweden it's legal to buy as much ammonium nitrate as you want, as long as it's not supposed to be used as an explosive. AN was the explosive used in the Oklahoma City bomb. It's also allowed to buy most chemicals but not to mix them. You also cannot be prosecuted for making an illegal explosive if it isn't on a list by an authority called SÄI ("Explosive Materials Inspection").

You can claim an illegal substance as your property - it's your legal right.

Zoophilia is also legal, as long as the animal "doesn't suffer physical or mental pain", in which case it can be up to two years in jail.

Emotional pain in an animal..... fuck, how would they measure that?

Lassie's gone off her feed because Freddie fucked her up the arse when she wasn't looking....  :lol:

And what do they expect you to do with chemicals.....  :duh:

TheoK

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
Another weird law: smokeless gunpowder and black powder substitute are both license free, while real black powder is licensed.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »
On any given day in Wollongong Mall, there's usually a group of maybe half-a-dozen time-rich, attention-starved people sitting around doing not much, except for having loud conversations replete with cusswords. One gets the distinct impression that an argument with a passerby, or perhaps a blue with the police, would make their day. ;D

I find that the really bad swearwords retain maximum impact the more seldom you use them. I once reduced a table of coworkers to complete silence by dropping the f-word. In something like 6 months working in the same place, they'd never heard me swear. Fuck a duck!!! but that was hilarious. :evillaugh: