Educational

Author Topic: Assisted suicide  (Read 481 times)

Blasted

Re: Assisted suicide
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
I agree.  I don't want to get old and slowly loose my dignity so I will probably pull a Maude if I ever get to 80.

P7PSP

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »
And plenty of them are physically capable of doing it alone anyway

It's a shit excuse imo

Why should they have to use a gun (which is pretty rare in Europe anyway), hang themselves, throw themselves in front of a train or die in a "car accident", when they could just take a suicide pill?
We have a lot of religious traditionalists in this country who whine a lot.

Swedish doctors actually often kill incurably sick people who don't want to live anymore (with cancer, for instance), by increasing their morphin doses until they die. This is not allowed of course, so they can't say it openly.
My Aunt and Mother had the DNR order on my Grandmother last year. The Hospital gave her 3 mg of Morphine every two hours and it depressed her breathing and she was gone within 12 hours.

TheoK

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »
I think only the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerlands actually allow assisted suicide in Europe.  :-\

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »
Taking away choice when someone is in the last phases of Cancer, MS, AIDS or some other real fucked disease is just fucking barbaric.  :thumbdn:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 02:30:36 AM »
I think only the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerlands actually allow assisted suicide in Europe.  :-\
In the UK they are incredibly lenient on it. Did anyone hear about the suicidal woman who was given an ASBO for being suicidal?

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »
I read this story earlier today. Given their combined infirmities, continued life for them would have been no life at all--just prolonged torture.

BTW, Bint: "pulling a Maude" is my new favorite expression. Ta!
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
In the UK they are incredibly lenient on it. Did anyone hear about the suicidal woman who was given an ASBO for being suicidal?

No, what was that?

I did read about the woman who was in court for breaching her asbo over having noisy sex though  :P

TheoK

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 04:28:46 AM »
What the hell, "Anti Social Behaviour Order". The UK is sicker than Sweden.  :thumbdn:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 04:52:25 AM »

No, what was that?

I did read about the woman who was in court for breaching her asbo over having noisy sex though  :P
What the hell, "Anti Social Behaviour Order". The UK is sicker than Sweden.  :thumbdn:

They are a way of keeping certain people out of prisons - not a bad thing in most cases. Except the few for which they are misapplied:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-467980/Woman-gets-Asbo-banning-sea-50-suicide-attempts-cost-taxpayers-1m.html

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 05:23:37 AM »
She actually rang up the police on several occasions though. There are less public ways of doing it that are more likely to work.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »
Under certain conditions, the assisted suicide sounds like the best thing. E.g., terminal illness (I mean, hell, if I had a TI and were slated to die a very prolonged horrible painful death, you can better believe I'd be killing myself off before then!), or other situations like the above with the elderly couple. If there were certain conditions under which assisted suicide were legal, like terminal or chronic and progressive illnesses, extreme old age, etc., AND if assisted suicide weren't expensive but also wasn't easy to get the legal okay to do it, then I see little problem with it. --Provided the person is deemed capable of choosing it for themselves (which is of course a whole can of legal worms, but ah well).

Provided the person is not making a rash decision, then I don't see an issue.
Flibbit.

Blasted

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
Victory?

From today's Independent:

Leading article: Assisted suicide calls for the wise exercise of discretion

Debbie Purdy won a victory for clarity, but dilemmas remain

Debbie Purdy said she was ecstatic about her legal victory in the House of Lords, as well she might have been. The ruling represents a complete vindication for her in her long battle through the courts and means that the law on assisted suicide must be clarified. It also brings the whole subject of euthanasia back into the public arena.

In their final ruling before the summer recess and their re-emergence in the autumn as Supreme Court justices, the law lords said that the law as it stands was not as clear and precise as it should be. They instructed the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to set out the factors he would take into account when deciding whether prosecutions should be brought. That meets Mrs Purdy's demand that those contemplating assisted suicide, and those who would help them, should have a better idea of where they stand in relation to the law.

Mrs Purdy also won on a second point, when the Law Lords agreed, citing the European Convention on Human Rights, that she had the right to choose how she died. The central purpose of her fight had been to ensure that her husband, Omar Puente, would not face prosecution if he helped her to end her life abroad. She seems to have achieved this, and quite a bit more.

The ruling is significant not just for what it said. It also crowned an inspiring personal campaign. Rebuffed in two lower courts, Mrs Purdy – who suffers from multiple sclerosis – insisted on fighting on. Her victory demonstrates that one determined individual, well-informed and passionate about a cause, has a fair chance against what often seems an impenetrable wall of political and judicial authority. That says something good about our country, its institutions and its courts. Where others went before and lost – notably the late Diane Pretty, who strove for the right to an assisted suicide in Britain – Mrs Purdy, with a narrower agenda, has prevailed.

For all the joy and relief in the air around Westminster yesterday, however, there will be those who do not share Mrs Purdy's elation, and we admit to misgivings of our own. We would particularly question her description of the ruling as "a huge step towards a more compassionate law". In principle, clarity in the law is highly desirable, even essential. But there are instances – and difficult ethical issues are among them – where exactitude can be more of a hindrance than a help.

The DPP has now to identify considerations that will militate for or against prosecution in cases of assisted suicide. Spelling these out could turn out to be limiting rather than liberating. It risks giving rise to perverse judgments that match the letter rather than the spirit of the law and invite reversal on appeal. The wise exercise of discretion has a role.

The reality is that so far no one in the UK has been prosecuted for accompanying someone to commit suicide abroad. But it is not impossible to conceive of situations in which the motives of friends or relatives might be neither noble nor compassionate – to use Mrs Purdy's words. There are dangers in reversing the presumption that helping to end someone else's life prematurely is a bad thing. Not to be ignored either is the negative message any change in the law could send to those with terminal or progressive illnesses.

As the population ages and a new generation increasingly expects to have control over death as well as life, these questions need to be debated. Debbie Purdy's victory must be the beginning of such a discussion, not its end.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/leading-article-assisted-suicide-calls-for-the-wise-exercise-of-discretion-1765230.html