Author Topic: Transferring Video to Laptop  (Read 151 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Transferring Video to Laptop
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »
I am finally ready to start transferring all of my Beta, HI8, and VHS videos to my PC to edit, in come cases burn to DVD, and maybe even upload to YouTube. I have almost a decade of concert footage I shot in the '90s of quite a few bands, plus plenty of personal stuff like my rendition of the original Star Wars Trilogy in Spanish class in college using vintage figures as props, the time I was interviewed on TV for having ticket #1 after sleeping outside all night for the Special Edition release of Star Wars, the time I was on Headline News Sports and ESPN Sports Center wearing my 7M3 shirt, which was totally planned to plug my boys and they saw it and freaked out, etc. Good stuff!

Does anybody have any experience in doing this? Suggestions? Advice?

I was looking around and stumbled upon this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000O5RIWO/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:41:10 PM by Trigger11 »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Transferring Video to PC
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
There is that. You could also get an internal TV tuner card, that way you can use it for other things when you have finished transferring all your tapes. Or you could get a basic DVDRecorder/VHSRecorder combo and then transfer all you tapes to DVD. That way you could just rip them from DVD to PC later on.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Re: Transferring Video to Laptop
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Problem is, I am talking about a laptop. Haven't seen one of those for a laptop yet. Used to have one on an old PC, but wound up never using it due to slow processor and data storage. That was like Windows 2000 days.

I am wondering if I can use the thing I linked to just for audio and how well it would work. Seems like it would be, but can I interface to an audio only record program so I don't end up with a blank video file with great audio.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Transferring Video to Laptop
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:59:21 AM »
Yeah dunno about that, might be funky drivers etc. It might not even show up as an audio device.

I suppose the laptop has line in? Even if it does it might end up being shitty quality. There is always those creative PCMCIA audio cards I guess.

Failing that you could always google for some hardware reviews of potential hardware.