Author Topic: Interesting Facts  (Read 2092 times)

TheoK

Re: Interesting Facts
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
My town was ceded by Denmark to Sweden on the 26th of February 1658.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

TheoK

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »
You didn't need a driver's license for driving an automobile in Sweden until 1918.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:57 AM »
The toothbrush was invented in 1498.

Back then they called it the toilet brush  ;D

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
You didn't need a driver's license for driving an automobile in Sweden until 1918.

The Boston Red Sox had last one the World Series in 1918, prior to their amazing 2004 and subsequent 2007 World Series Championships. New York fans would incessantly chant, "Nineteen-eighteen!" It got really bad when you would watch a Red Sox game in Tampa Bay, or go to a one in Baltimore, when some of their fans would have 1918 signs. Until last year, Tampa Bay had never even made the playoffs. The Orioles have been pathetic for over a decade. In fact, the last game of the regular season was in Baltimore in 2004 and I was there. I was wearing my "Boston 2004 World Series Champions" shirt that I had bought on 25 July 2004, the day of the Varitek-A-Fraud brawl, as well as the debut of *“Tessie” by the Dropkick Murphys prior to the start of the game, when the Red Sox came back late in the ninth and beat Mariano Rivera and started an amazing run to make the playoffs and go on to vanquish the Yankees after being down three games to none in the ALCS. I bought the shirt outside Fenway from some college kids who made them in order to jinx the curse. I talked with them a bit, being jazzed up by the amazing game that day, and bought a shirt. Those same kids were in Baltimore, along with 20,000+ Red Sox fans, to see the Sox off to the playoffs. They saw me wearing the shirt and remembered me and we had a great laugh. A bunch of Baltimore fans had 1918 signs and were ragging us all game, but we didn't care. We could feel something special with that team! Long story short, after the Red Sox went down three games to none, I turned my hat inside out for the ultimate rally cap and wore it like that everywhere I went! Miracle wins in Games 4 and 5 and I never turned the hat back right-side out. I ended up at Games 1 and 2 at Fenway Park for the World Series and had my picture taken during Game 2 in which I am wearing the hat inside out and showing off my "Boston 2004 World Series Champions" jinx the curse shirt. Remember, they hadn’t won yet!!! Everybody kept asking me about the hat and shirt. Once I explained the situation, each and every person told me not to change the hat back or take off the shirt. I never did change the hat back, as I retired it after they won the World Series. It sits in a shrine with other relics from that season.

* “Tessie” was an old tune from the early 1900’s when the Red Sox won five World Series titles and was dusted off, revamped, and recorded by the Dropkick Murphys to raise funds for the Jimmy Fund. They first played it at Fenway that fateful day, and went on to play it at the World Series as well. Now they play it after every Red Sox win at Fenway.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
In the Roman Empire those kids were indeed thrown away like dirt.

But I heard, don't know where anymore, that in the mideaval times there were groups of 'different' people living in the woods, apart from society. And some of them took care of abandoned kids. Together having a community. And indeed, doing nightly chores in exchange for food in the 'normal' world. Since part of the abandoned people were dwarves, stories about the little folk did get more substance.

I'll try if I can find links or references to this. Found it an amazing story.

Can't find a link.

Did find a lot of things though.

Midieval disabled that did survive could end up in mainly three groups, woodpeople (where I heard this story about, but can't get that backed up with references) vagabonds, and institutionalised people.

Some people did well on display, well that went on till long after the middle ages. Dwarves could become confidants and jesters of rulers. Mute people could sometimes get a role like that too.

And of course, disabled people were quite often seen as work of the devil. Parents were to blame. Either for being involved in witchcraft, or having had wrong sex. (during period, or.... even worse, having enjoyed the act of procreation)

Not all disability was seen as coming from the devil though. Epileptics could get a visionary status.

The woodpeople, the group were I had once heard this about, seem also to be the type of people Robin Hood is seen with in the stories about him.

Sorry, bit rambling facts.  And alas, could not find a link.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »
There were a lot of woodpeople in Sweden some hundred years ago. Even today 75% of the country is covered by forests and the population density is 20 people/km2. Imagine when there were only about 2 people/km2 (17th Century) and almost no roads.  :ninja:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 05:09:25 AM »
The first case against child abuse filed in the U.S. was filed in 1874, through the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, because there were no agencies to protect children from cruel treatment at the time.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 05:13:53 AM »
In the 13th Century it was still legal to kill anyone coming farther away from Sweden than Germany. Those were the days.  :-\                                                       

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »
Australia has a liberal migration policy; they let me come here, for heaven's sake. ;D This morning I rode in a taxi driven by what must surely be Sydney's nicest-ever cab driver — a gent who migrated to Sydney from Peru, together with his wife, 3 decades ago, and has 2 grown sons. Mucho gusto, Daniel.  8)

TheoK

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »
The Swedish school system is almost a copy of the German one in many respects. Even the names of the different levels are the same. Grundskola=Grundschule=elementary school; gymnasium=Gymnasium=high school; högskola=Hochschule=college; universitet=Universität=university.

As you can see, English and US "high school" in Sweden and German speaking countries is a lower level than högskola/Hochschule. Except for Chalmers technical in Gothenburg and the Royal technical in Stockholm a högskola is much less prestigious than a university.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
I am considering moving to Australia. Except beiing too far away from Boston. Maybe I should just visit.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »
^^

Interesting fact indeed.

South, I wanna go South.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
The London show is sold out already (sorry, Britons), but you folk in Sweden (and much of Europe, for that matter) will have an oppurtunity to see CHICKENFOOT before I will.

:'(
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Interesting Farts
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 06:41:14 PM »
Had a huge one today that squeaked out slowly at my desk. :zombiefuck:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me