Author Topic: stamps  (Read 420 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
stamps
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
I have a lot of stamps but know litt about then they are a collection from the 30's and 40' anybody here collect them to give in sight some are much older
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

Re: stamps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
If someone wants a stamp desperately enough, you can make big money. I was offered 10000 kronor or about $1200 for the stamp of Hitler called "Hitler stamp 1941", though it would usually be worth $3-4. I refused, though.  8)  Hitler stamps

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »
Philately was a semi-obsessive pursuit of mine as a child. As an older teen, with a job, I even gathered some rare items into my collection. Most of what I have of value is of USA origin, though, and I have sent many of the more rare items be authenticated by "experts."  Some of the rarities are worth much more after being assessed by so-called experts. Such things as frankings by presidents, postmasters and senators was an interest for a time, but I also became enamored of many engravers who created the art behind the printing of the stamps we take for granted.

I do have some cool stuff from collapsed African nations and many former Brit colonies in proper "complete collection" form and I also maintained a subscription to several postal authorities (many tiny nations and islands, such as Guernsey, Tuvalu, Isle of Man, Sierra Leone, etc.) for new issues of commemorative items, including the US Postal Service.  I pretty much ignored them as an adult, and just filed them away when they piled up, but I kept up my subscriptions, buying the yearly issues from USPS, until around '95. My collection of US commemorative issues is complete in MNH condition from the early twenties to around that time.

Some of the interesting (to me) things are more related to the knuckles and elbows of the printing industry, such as sets of color separation proofs and errors where some of the printing is out of registry or even inverted.

If you go to your local library, you can find an issue of Scott's Stamp Catalog and find listings of everything that has ever been minted by the USPS and many foreign nations as well. It is very easy to use and it is considered a retail reference to the value of such common philatelic items. For a more in depth study, I would recommend Minkus, however.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:59:00 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:01:32 AM »
The most expensive stamp in the world is actually the Swedish "2 shilling banco" in wrong colours. It was worth several million $ the last time I read about it.                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:08 AM »
If someone wants a stamp desperately enough, you can make big money. I was offered 10000 kronor or about $1200 for the stamp of Hitler called "Hitler stamp 1941", though it would usually be worth $3-4. I refused, though.  8)  Hitler stamps

If you are serious about beginning a collection of "Hitler" related stamps, you would do well to look into semi-common definitive issues of "other nation" stamps that were Overprinted by Nazis as they stomped through Europe. I have a few that are from Danzig, Austria, etc. overprinted with various Nazi symbols to indicate that they were "legal"  to use within the new regimes at the time.

Of course most of my German stamps are not really of great value, just interest.

Again, Minkus.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:13:55 AM »
I have lots of Hitler stamps but only from the "old" Reich.  :-\

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:21:55 AM »

Literally ALL of the more valued items from "Germany" I have are from the DDR.

I do have a huge collection of letters, covers, aerograms and things from the US airbase that my uncle mailed home during the fifties and sixties. They are common issues, but with proper historical cancellation markings, they are quite interesting to me.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:35 AM »
Thanks dawg will check the library next trip,  have a lot of prewar German stamps well prewar everything very little after

George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:32 AM »
I have some old Australian stamps. I have some triangular stamps.

My favourite stamps are from the UK and The Netherlands, they are colourful.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
My stamp collection is probably too small to merit a closer look, but there are a few old Swedish and Finnish stamps that someone claimed to be worth something. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
I have one that belonged to my father that was supposed to be worth $200 in 1948 but I have no clue which one it is other than it's German

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
I had a small collection at one time, nothing really very valuable.

There isn't much I "haven't" collected over the years.  :laugh:

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
I have a lot of stamps but know litt about then they are a collection from the 30's and 40' anybody here collect them to give in sight some are much older

In the Dark Ages before email, we used to stick 'em on envelopes and they counted as payment for postage - how bizarre!
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

In the Dark Ages before email, we used to stick 'em on envelopes and they counted as payment for postage - how bizarre!

... and most people "licked" them and sent their respective diseases to the addressees.

How further bizarre!

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »
You don't have to lick the new Swedish stamps. They have that kind of glue that works wothout licking it. 5.50 kronor for a stamp within Sweden. Almost 70 cents.  :grrr: