Educational

Author Topic: Random names for random objects  (Read 435 times)

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
Random names for random objects
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
This started since I could first talk I used to call wood knots "E.T." in our trailer when we used to go south to birch bay in Washington for vacation. My mother had hard time putting me to sleep because I would be all "ET MOMMY LOOK IT'S ET!" all night long. I have always had a sleep disorder since the day I was born and when I finally learned to talk at age three. I would keep people up all night with my nonsense.
I do remember calling them "E.T." was because I thought the knots looked like aliens.

When I was twelve I remember bunking with my grandma because guests were over or something and had to have her room.
I saw the moonlight and it shined on the fingerprints on the wall. I started screaming "NELSON LIGHTS NELSON LIGHTS GRANDMA SAY NELSON LIGHTS!"  I would keep freaking out unitl she actual " said "Nelson lights" and I would laugh "SAY IT AGAIN, SAY IT AGAIN"
and keep her up the entire night obsessing over these "nelson lights" I had no idea where "Nelson lights" came from. I just made it up on the spot and thought it was funny.

Than for about two years when I was seven to nine years old I would go into mental breakdown laughing at plastic grocery bags and the Safeway logo. I don't why it was funny it just was. Behaviors like that ended me up in a child psychiatry unit where I was multiply diagnosed with AS, OCD, ADHD, TS the whole nine yards.

Now-a-days I still call objects names. ALL locks on doors are called "Commie-Cons" and I don't know why.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:55:10 PM by Marlys »
Park.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random names for random objects
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »
My daughter does this too.  She picks names for things that only make sense to her.

When she was little, she called colors the name of the Sesame Street character they were, like she called red "Elmo" and blue "Cookie Monster" and yellow "Big Bird".

Now, for example, if she says "Paranoia Recess?" she means, "Is it September 8th yet?"

This is because her special teacher put soap in her mouth the first time on September 8 when she was in the second grade, but unless you knew that it would not make any sense.

She wants other people to repeat these things too.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Soap in the mouth? That's pure cruelty. Or maybe I was just raised by over protective sissy over-liberal parents.  "Marlys bad girl, go to the peace the peace table and build a sand castle"
Park.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
Soap in the mouth? That's pure cruelty. Or maybe I was just raised by over protective sissy over-liberal parents.  "Marlys bad girl, go to the peace the peace table and build a sand castle"
Pure cruelty in my view too.

Only knew it proverbial here, "go and wash your mouth (with green soap)"

Did this happen more than once Callaway? Since you said "the first time".

I would not be surprised if a teacher could get sacked here if she did that to a kid.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:53:22 AM »
Oh, random names,

Yes we have them. And we also had some that were inherited from previous generations, because they stuck with others in the household.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »

I would not be surprised if a teacher could get sacked here if she did that to a kid.

Yes, it happened a second time, but the teacher who did it denied doing it both times and did not get sacked because it was her word against my daughter's.

When it happened the first time, I did not find about it until later when I was washing my daughter's hair and I told her to keep her mouth closed so the soap wouldn't get into her mouth.  She asked me why she shouldn't get soap in her mouth and I told her it because it could make her sick.  Then she told me about the special education teacher "Mrs C" putting soap in her mouth at school.  I told her that was wrong, that the teacher should not have done that and I told her if it ever happened again, she should tell me right away as soon as I picked her up from school.  I also talked to the teacher, telling her what my daughter said and she denied doing it but said that it was possible that someone else could have done it instead, since my daughter at that time had difficulty recognizing people.  I said that some people might think it was an appropriate punishment but my husband and I did not and would never do that ourselves and if it happened, we wanted it to never happen again.  I told her it could make kids sick and she argued that she didn't think it could.  I knew my daughter recognized people well enough to tell her special education teacher apart from the other adults working with her, but I wanted to let the teacher save face, since I was sure it must have been a misunderstanding about appropriate discipline and it would not happen again.

The second time was late in October and my daughter ran away from school right after it happened.  She ran to the park right next to the school I often took her to after school, but the teacher and the principal caught her quickly and called me to come to school and get her.  As soon as I got there, she said she ran away because Mrs C put soap in her mouth again, so I waited to talk to Mrs C and she denied doing it again.  When I got my daughter home, she wanted me to call her doctor to make sure she was OK because of the soap in her mouth.  Her mouth smelled like soap to me.  It was a Thursday, her pediatrician's day off, so I wound up calling poison control, who wanted to know how much I thought she had ingested.  I wasn't sure, but I thought only a small amount from what my daughter said, and they told me they thought she would be OK and told me what things to watch out for.

As far as I know, Mrs C is still a special education teacher at the same school, but I heard she is retiring soon.

My daughter is still very angry with her.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:44:36 AM »
The expression "Go wash your mouth out with soap" had some currency in my youth. Occasionally a tale would be passed around the playground about some unfortunate kid whose mom had actually made good on the threat. Most of the time it was taken no more seriously than "Bite your tongue!" or "Go piss up a rope!" or "Drop on your pointed little head!" or "Go jump in the lake!" which were also popular with children in those days. You wouldn't say them in front of a grownup, though, for fear of punishment, which could consist — it could never be ruled out! — of being marched off to the laundry sink and having Sunlight soap applied to your tongue with a battered old toothbrush.

A guy my husband works with would tell his kids, with a perfectly straight face, that the correct name for kookaburras is "ha-ha pigeons." He says that the kids are starting to get wise to him, and he doesn't get away with such jokes as frequently as before.

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »

Yes, it happened a second time, but the teacher who did it denied doing it both times and did not get sacked because it was her word against my daughter's.

When it happened the first time, I did not find about it until later when I was washing my daughter's hair and I told her to keep her mouth closed so the soap wouldn't get into her mouth.  She asked me why she shouldn't get soap in her mouth and I told her it because it could make her sick.  Then she told me about the special education teacher "Mrs C" putting soap in her mouth at school.  I told her that was wrong, that the teacher should not have done that and I told her if it ever happened again, she should tell me right away as soon as I picked her up from school.  I also talked to the teacher, telling her what my daughter said and she denied doing it but said that it was possible that someone else could have done it instead, since my daughter at that time had difficulty recognizing people.  I said that some people might think it was an appropriate punishment but my husband and I did not and would never do that ourselves and if it happened, we wanted it to never happen again.  I told her it could make kids sick and she argued that she didn't think it could.  I knew my daughter recognized people well enough to tell her special education teacher apart from the other adults working with her, but I wanted to let the teacher save face, since I was sure it must have been a misunderstanding about appropriate discipline and it would not happen again.

The second time was late in October and my daughter ran away from school right after it happened.  She ran to the park right next to the school I often took her to after school, but the teacher and the principal caught her quickly and called me to come to school and get her.  As soon as I got there, she said she ran away because Mrs C put soap in her mouth again, so I waited to talk to Mrs C and she denied doing it again.  When I got my daughter home, she wanted me to call her doctor to make sure she was OK because of the soap in her mouth.  Her mouth smelled like soap to me.  It was a Thursday, her pediatrician's day off, so I wound up calling poison control, who wanted to know how much I thought she had ingested.  I wasn't sure, but I thought only a small amount from what my daughter said, and they told me they thought she would be OK and told me what things to watch out for.

As far as I know, Mrs C is still a special education teacher at the same school, but I heard she is retiring soon.

My daughter is still very angry with her.

Teachers in Sweden actually had the right to wash the pupils' mouths with soap when my parents went to school. And kids who chewed on their finger nails got creosote smeared on them...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »
My old partner at work used to make up random name for people on job site then call them that the rest of the time we were there.  I have my own language with my dogs that my wife doesn't even understand and have names for most of my things
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
I had lots of random names for stuff when I was a kid.  For example, when I was two or three years old, I made up a random name for the stick of butter on the dinner table, just because it had been sliced diagonally.  I kept calling it that, and got everyone all confused.  It just never occurred to me that others wouldn't know what I was talking about.  It's pretty disturbing now to hear that a kid can be labeled "crazy" if the wrong people hear it and misunderstand.

Damn, I thought that soap in the mouth thing had gone the way of gladiator games and witch burnings... a thing of the past that simply doesn't happen now.  I guess I was naïve to assume that.  That really pisses me off that not only would a special ed teacher get off on my-word-against-a-kid's, but that she took advantage of the kid's disability to get herself off the hook.  ("Oh, she can't always recognize everyone.  Must've been someone else."  Yeah, right!)  I would have found a doctor while the kid's mouth still smelled like soap, just to get it documented.  That teacher was probably thinking "Oh shit, I better use unscented soap next time."  What's it take to bring justice into situations like that?

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:03:23 AM »
Oh, and even if it was somebody else who put soap in the kid's mouth, isn't the teacher still responsible for protecting the kids?

What's the likelihood of her losing retirement benefits if the powers-that-be find out about an incident after she retires?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:05:36 AM by garmonbozia »

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:15 AM »
Oh, and one more thing that's occurred to me...

At some point before recorded history, some early ancestor of ours had to invent the first human language.  The root words that form languages had to come from somewhere.  Perhaps the random-words thing is a vestigial instinct that once served to prime spoken language in human evolution.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
My daughter does this too.  She picks names for things that only make sense to her.

When she was little, she called colors the name of the Sesame Street character they were, like she called red "Elmo" and blue "Cookie Monster" and yellow "Big Bird".

Now, for example, if she says "Paranoia Recess?" she means, "Is it September 8th yet?"

This is because her special teacher put soap in her mouth the first time on September 8 when she was in the second grade, but unless you knew that it would not make any sense.

She wants other people to repeat these things too.

Who the hell puts soap in a childs mouth to get them to behave? Funny how these so called teachers are supposed to be the 'normal' ones?

I must say I love the term she came up with "Paranoia Recess"...it's going to stick with me too!

Sounds like a great name for a band! 

xx's to your daughter for great words!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
MMMMMMmmmmm soap yummie :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline key Stats

• Frequent Poster
  • Unermuedlich Aufwiegelung
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 02:46:41 AM »
That teacher was probably thinking "Oh shit, I better use unscented soap next time."  What's it take to bring justice into situations like that?

Let them eat soap. My father, God bless his soul, tried that one out on me once but he was fuckwut who had issues. Maybe a greatgrandmother too, I don't properly recall.

Teachers can be utter petty dictators. I remember getting hit by teachers but no soap thankfully. The old bitch in that incidence sounds like a right eugenicist fraud of a being. The time will be here soon, let her starve  ::) edit] but not of soap, she can plenty of soap and try use it to wash her sins away  :'(    :soapbox::hitler: imo edit) j/k haha biblical inflection was humourous to me *shrugs*

I refer to things as 'fingi ma bobs' quite often probably but that's more a case of not wanting to put names on things I think and I picked the expression up off someone else.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:56:28 PM by key Stats »
"The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds." Ronald David Laing