Educational

Author Topic: Neurotypical  (Read 1362 times)

Offline JustGiveIn

• Part of the Chaos
Neurotypical
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »
"Neurotypical" ? "Nt's" ? are you fucking kidding me. The first time I read the word I literally lol-ed. I thought it was a joke or bad attempt at one.

Tell me after the first time you read the term you didnt understand why some dumb aspie decided to coin it. I didn't know the "Neurodiverse" would try to disguise such a crappy sly dig as medical jargon. Then again most of the autistic community out there could use a ego or confidence boost and if calling the majority of those around them Neurotypical  makes them stop crying so much, Im all for it.

For Tony Atwood or whatever other crappy author decides to publish the next guide to ASD  "Not having Schizophrenia = The Voiceless" Not corny enough?

Neurotypicals are so...." NT's just dont understand" ... Nt's this, Nt's that.    Jealous much?? How am I supposed to take you seriously when you refer to everyone who dosent have your condition as Neurotypical. -random thought since finding WP other AS/ASD communities and torturing myself to read atwoods book. This is actually a widely used term....rly?

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Neurotypical
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
What name would you suggest? "non-autistic individual"?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
don't feed the sad old troll. he's not even a good one.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »
Yeah- to properly troll it would have to be meaner, to be proper satire it would have to be funnier.  I mean, he is pointing out the obvious to an audience that doesnt want to hear it, but there's no edge or finesse.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »
What justgivein is saying is true to the small minority of intelligent people who post on AS forums. When i first heard the term 5 years ago I felt the exact same way - utterly ridicoulous bullshit and doing nothing for us but helping making us more of a figure of fun.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
and you're just an anal twat. get over it. there is a term for non autistics and that's it. boohoo. ::)
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
Yeah- to properly troll it would have to be meaner, to be proper satire it would have to be funnier.  I mean, he is pointing out the obvious to an audience that doesn't want to hear it, but there's no edge or finesse.

Tru,  dat.

... but, I have oft wondered from whence came this most vulgar and highly incendiary term?

*offers naught but effluent towards OP*
 :wanker:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »
"Neurotypical" ? "Nt's" ? are you fucking kidding me. The first time I read the word I literally lol-ed. I thought it was a joke or bad attempt at one.

Tell me after the first time you read the term you didnt understand why some dumb aspie decided to coin it. I didn't know the "Neurodiverse" would try to disguise such a crappy sly dig as medical jargon. Then again most of the autistic community out there could use a ego or confidence boost and if calling the majority of those around them Neurotypical  makes them stop crying so much, Im all for it.

For Tony Atwood or whatever other crappy author decides to publish the next guide to ASD  "Not having Schizophrenia = The Voiceless" Not corny enough?

Neurotypicals are so...." NT's just dont understand" ... Nt's this, Nt's that.    Jealous much?? How am I supposed to take you seriously when you refer to everyone who dosent have your condition as Neurotypical. -random thought since finding WP other AS/ASD communities and torturing myself to read atwoods book. This is actually a widely used term....rly?

Sucks to be you  :hahaha:

Offline JustGiveIn

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
Yeah- to properly troll it would have to be meaner, to be proper satire it would have to be funnier.  I mean, he is pointing out the obvious to an audience that doesnt want to hear it, but there's no edge or finesse.

Clarification, Im autistic and this post is not a troll.

The term was made up by one author and subsequently caught on like wildfire. Its not a real word and not even a official term in any viable sense. Neurodiversity IS, even sovanu could see the difference between the implications of the two. Then again sovanu's most likely a typical aspie.

do I expect a group of people who generally beleive everything they read, take most points to their most literal interpretation and are resistant to change to ACTUALLY get anything from this thread. nope.

thankfully not everyones so typical.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
What author, do you know?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline JustGiveIn

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »
What author, do you know?

Tony atwood I beleive

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
I agree Neurotypical is a retarded term. I only use it specifically on Autism boards in arguments relevant to it's use (so others on there don't lay into me when I say ordinary people) and even then I only say NT, otherwise I wouldn't be caught dead using it. Sort of reminds me of how Political Correctness fucks everything up by adding over complicated terms to things to minimize offense to all parties, please. ::)
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
Who cares.

Offline JustGiveIn

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
Before I get crucified from people taking what I wrote literally.

Tony Atwood most likely did not create or makeup "Neurotypical" Kinda hard to peg the first time someone says a made up word. he coined it with mentions in his book and definitions of it.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
Apparently Atwood has lost the plot recently anyway.