Educational

Author Topic: object-oriented Perl  (Read 841 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
object-oriented Perl
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
I've been programming in Perl for years, but for a project I've got going now, I really need to write it in object-oriented form.  Anyone here know any websites that have information on the proper syntax, etc. for object-oriented Perl?  There's a book I could get that's about $13 used on Amazon (and $40 new in stores), but I'd prefer to save the money.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: object-oriented Perl
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
Not any sites that I can recall, right now, but get Damian Conway's book on object-oriented Perl. It's brilliant.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
 :thumbup:  That's the exact book I was thinking about getting.

On the web, I can find bits and pieces at best, so I guess I'll have to buy the book.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
Like I said, it's brilliant. There is the O'Reilly book on object-oriented Perl, too, but I like Conway a lot better.

How long have you been coding in Perl?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
I've been using it on-and-off since 1996.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
I ordered a used copy of the Conway book.  Should have it in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, I'll be able to re-organize the project I've been working on just for fun.  The code is currently written procedurally and looks like shit.  Too many variables to keep track of.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:37:14 AM »
Good luck with it. It's been a while since I used Perl, at all. My only programming has been with XSLT.

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
That's the thing about I.T.  Turn your attention elsewhere for even a short time, and when you look again, there's a whole new bumper-crop of acronyms you've never heard of.  That's how it feels whenever I visit the computer books section in Borders.  Maybe I need to subscibe to some journals.

The project I keep mentioning is a just-for-fun project on one of my home computers.  If I ever want to get to where the real money is in I.T., I need to keep up with all the latest shit.  (I currently work in a small niche field in I.T.)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
Me, I'm sort of backwards cos I want to master C programming. Who cares about object orientation? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
I think I got ripped-off on Amazon.  I ordered a used copy from one of those third-party sellers who sell through Amazon.  There was a window of time for the delivery estimate.  That ended yesterday.  Still no book.  I left a message for the seller and haven't heard back yet.  I'll probably be filing a claim for a refund as per Amazon's policies.

That was a first-time seller.  (Never buying from one of those again.)  Let's see how they like a shitty review from their first customer if I don't get either the book or my fuckin' money back real soon.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »
This is all I think of when I see this post :laugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
I'm learning C++ at the moment.  I've used Python on and off for about 4 years, but I've gotten frustrated at how slow it is for the things I want to do.  I'm learning by reading and reverse-engineering code snippets I find online, and by going through online tutorials and things.  The learning curve is pretty steep, but I'm starting to get the hang of the basics, and it's satisfying being able to control things at the level of individual bytes after having had all the low level details hidden from me with Python.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 06:13:42 AM »
I studied C++ for a couple of years, can't remember much though, haven't used it since. Something about Orange Oriental Pro-growing. ???
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »
I think I got ripped-off on Amazon.  I ordered a used copy from one of those third-party sellers who sell through Amazon.  There was a window of time for the delivery estimate.  That ended yesterday.  Still no book.  I left a message for the seller and haven't heard back yet.  I'll probably be filing a claim for a refund as per Amazon's policies.

That was a first-time seller.  (Never buying from one of those again.)  Let's see how they like a shitty review from their first customer if I don't get either the book or my fuckin' money back real soon.

The thing to remember is that these are only estimates. A couple of days more is certainly not unheard of. :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
The book arrived today.  So, I cancelled my rip-off claim.  It was advertised as "used - like new", but I'd estimate its condition as "fair" because it has some water damage with a few pages sticking together but easily separated.  (I hope that was just water, anyway.)  It was FedEx'ed with the date on the form being five days after the time estimate ended (in an addressed kraft envelope inside a FedEx envelope).  I guess Amazon got on their ass or otherwise reminded them they were sitting on paid-for merchandise.  They better hope I'm in a good mood when prompted for a review.

Now that that shit's over with, I can get on to re-coding my project and turning it into something truly useful.