Educational

Author Topic: Smell the fear  (Read 669 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Smell the fear
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »
ScienceDaily (Mar. 8, 2009) — When threatened, many animals release chemicals as a warning signal to members of their own species, who in turn react to the signals and take action. Research by Rice University psychologist Denise Chen suggests a similar phenomenon occurs in humans.

hen and graduate student Wen Zhou collected “fearful sweat” samples from male volunteers. The volunteers kept gauze pads in their armpits while they were shown films that dealt with topics known to inspire fear.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090306142536.htm

Smell it!!!

The guy in the photo in the article looks like Alex :laugh:  Is he afraid or did he fart smell it :stinker:

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

Re: Smell the fear
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:28 AM »
That's pretty well known. It's the same that the breath smells a bit like aceton when someone is nervous.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »
That guy does look like Alex.
Park.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:07:18 AM »
Someone once told me that the weird smell at the vet's when you take your dog/cat/bird, etc in is the smell of the pets' fear. This could be completely false....
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
Someone once told me that the weird smell at the vet's when you take your dog/cat/bird, etc in is the smell of the pets' fear. This could be completely false....

Well animals do emit pheromones in various situations and emotions such as fear for example, so it's possible. Whenever or not a human can consciously smell it, I have no idea.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »

Well animals do emit pheromones in various situations and emotions such as fear for example, so it's possible. Whenever or not a human can consciously smell it, I have no idea.

It seems that humans, or at least some of them, have the right hardware for it, but it's not wired in. So whether the function is present in humans is debatable.

However there is no reported evidence that humans have active sensory neurons like those in working vomeronasal systems of other animals. Furthermore, there is no evidence to date that suggests there are nerve and axon connections between any existing sensory receptor cells that may be in the adult human VNO and the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomeronasal_organ

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:30:02 AM »
I remember smelling fear one time in my mother's sweat after she could not find me when she came to pick me up from school.

It was kind of a sharp acrid smell and that's how I realized that I had really frightened her.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:17:40 AM »
I remember smelling fear one time in my mother's sweat after she could not find me when she came to pick me up from school.

It was kind of a sharp acrid smell and that's how I realized that I had really frightened her.

Have smelled it in my daughter once. After a huge anxiety attack.
It's a very pugnant smell.

Poor kid at that moment. Shaking all over.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »
or they are just smelly bastards.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:27:55 AM »
or they are just smelly bastards.

No, it was a unique smell, not like my mom's usual scent at all.  I don't think you could mistake it if you ever smell it.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:29:54 AM »
no, your mom's a smelly bastard instead :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
I can smell the fear....

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
SMELL THE GLOVE...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
smell my ass  :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
Actually, I think if you lived in Tornado Alley you'd definitely smell the fear, especially when those (hate group who must not be named) s approach. See, when the heavy stormcells merge and then create a supercell, then usual a twister will drop soon after. Mostly these (hate group who must not be named) s appear any time between Feb and June, and given that Tornado Alley lies east of the Rockies from the Texas panhandle to at least Ohio, there could be a lot of damage. Take May 1999, when a mammoth (hate group who must not be named) developed into a supercell and dropped several twisters, a shitload of damage and loss of life was caused then, and all in a short period.