Educational

Author Topic: Big bust in NYC  (Read 503 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Big bust in NYC
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Federal drug agents have seized 50,000 pounds of pot and arrested 10 people in the scheme, which used hidden compartments in cars to smuggle weed across the border
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/02/21/2009-02-21_queens_pot_bust_among_biggest_ever_smugg.html

Holy crap what would 50,000 lbs even look like?   And all because some idiot with a suspended license got caught transporting 9 lbs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

Re: Big bust in NYC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »
My brother works on a Federal installation now, when he was a local K9 cop he did a lot of drug interdiction and he told me that it is fairly common to bust people who are either transporting dope or have other warrants over petty little shit like unregistered vehicle or broken tail light. 25 tons of pot would sure take up a lot of space.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
Federal drug agents have seized 50,000 pounds of pot and arrested 10 people in the scheme, which used hidden compartments in cars to smuggle weed across the border
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/02/21/2009-02-21_queens_pot_bust_among_biggest_ever_smugg.html

Holy crap what would 50,000 lbs even look like?   And all because some idiot with a suspended license got caught transporting 9 lbs

You need approximately 230 cubic feet to store a ton of grass hay, so if the marijuana is of similar density, it could be stored in as little as 5750 cubic feet.

Assuming it was perfectly stacked in a solid cube six feet tall, it could fit into a 1000 square foot warehouse.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
Oh. That kind of bust. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »

You were expecting this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 02:26:28 AM »
It would have made the topic more interesting. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:27:53 AM »

You were expecting this?

:plus: for geek math application and excellent Danni Ashe bust picture. :green:

WTF? I messed up the pic. :grrr:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:32:02 AM by PPK »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
I'm hurt. I came up with the association but didn't get plussed. :P

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »
I'm hurt. I came up with the association but didn't get plussed. :P
In that case odeon, here is a  :plus: and here is a pic of Danni's hot 40 year old self.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »

You need approximately 230 cubic feet to store a ton of grass hay, so if the marijuana is of similar density, it could be stored in as little as 5750 cubic feet.

Assuming it was perfectly stacked in a solid cube six feet tall, it could fit into a 1000 square foot warehouse.

:o

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:55:47 PM »
yay queeen Ramonee land  :orly:
Park.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31:15 AM »

I'd assume that pot would be heaveir than hay due to the resiny oils in it if it was mostly bud, which I would assume it was.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »

I'd assume that pot would be heaveir than hay due to the resiny oils in it if it was mostly bud, which I would assume it was.

You're probably correct, in which case it could fit into an even smaller warehouse if it was efficiently packed.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
Still I just can't get my head around that much they said street value was around 150 million yet another number I have a hard time with
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »
Still I just can't get my head around that much they said street value was around 150 million yet another number I have a hard time with

Well, just start smoking it until there is enough left that you can get your head around.