Educational

Author Topic: Noisy northbridge  (Read 596 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Noisy northbridge
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:28:36 AM »
Does anyone else have a really noisy northbridge on their motherboard?  Mine makes an annoying buzzing sound all the time, and I can also hear it through my earphones plugged into the PCI sound-card.  I've got a microphone that makes it easy to isolate exactly where a sound is coming from, and it's definitely coming from the northbridge; not the hard drives, fans, graphics card or anything else.  It's an MSI KT4V motherboard, and the northbridge is passively cooled.

WMA recording
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Noisy northbridge
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:36:47 AM »
Has it just started doing that? If so then it could wearing out or something.

I was hoping to hear you speak on that recording.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44:27 AM »
It started doing it when I set the FSB speed to what it was supposed to be.  Previously, I'd had it underclocked and the system was unstable as a result, but when I increased the speed on the FSB, the northbridge started buzzing and sputtering, even though it made the system much more stable.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
How old is it?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:52:55 AM »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
my laptop is noisy cuz of the fan but my PC is REALLY noisy, really annoying.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:13:07 AM »
http://www.donutey.com/fan.php

???

He said it's passively cooled, so fan noise is not the issue, otherwise I'd have suggested the replacement I made for my Abit board - a passive Zalman blue thingy (sorry I forget the model name/number... something with "N's" and "J's").

So Pete, you're running an Athlon at stock speeds... it's probably about time to upgrade your MB/CPU/RAM anyways.
I have an AthlonXP 2500+ which I have always run at 3200+ speeds and it is still going alright.

The noise might go away once the chip is used to the extra electrons running through it. Have you modified modified the voltage of the chipset or RAM? Perhaps try a different voltage setting on the northbridge if your MB BIOS will allow you to make such finicky changes.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »
How old is it?

Quite old, but still useful.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:35:14 AM »
http://www.donutey.com/fan.php

???

He said it's passively cooled, so fan noise is not the issue, otherwise I'd have suggested the replacement I made for my Abit board - a passive Zalman blue thingy (sorry I forget the model name/number... something with "N's" and "J's").

So Pete, you're running an Athlon at stock speeds... it's probably about time to upgrade your MB/CPU/RAM anyways.
I have an AthlonXP 2500+ which I have always run at 3200+ speeds and it is still going alright.

The noise might go away once the chip is used to the extra electrons running through it. Have you modified modified the voltage of the chipset or RAM? Perhaps try a different voltage setting on the northbridge if your MB BIOS will allow you to make such finicky changes.

Yeah, it's not a fan that's making the noise; it's the chip itself.  I changed the FSB speed months ago, and it's still buzzing away.  I've not played around with the voltage, but I'll give it a go at some point and see if it helps.  It would be nice to upgrade, but I don't want to spend the money at the moment, my current comp does everything I need it to do, if a little slowly, and I'd like to hold out while the price drops on DDR3 and SSD's.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
Sounds like it's about to die to me. Does it make a noise all the time while the computer is on? are you 100% sure its coming from the northbridge? If the noise happens all the time, you could disconnect everything just to make sure. Even stopping the CPU fan with a pen or something for a couple of seconds just to be sure etc.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:45:29 AM »
Sounds like it's about to die to me. Does it make a noise all the time while the computer is on? are you 100% sure its coming from the northbridge? If the noise happens all the time, you could disconnect everything just to make sure. Even stopping the CPU fan with a pen or something for a couple of seconds just to be sure etc.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure it's coming from the northbridge, and yes, it does it 100% of the time, though sometimes it seems louder than at other times.  I've been over the entire inside of my computer with a microphone, so I'm quite confident that I have the source of the noise pinned down.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 05:04:13 AM »
I think you will need a new one, I hope it doesn't cost much. Computer part costs are a mystery to me.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:47:59 AM »
It could die tomorrow, but I think it's likely to keep on functioning until I decide to upgrade.  I'm using an Athlon 2600XP with 1GB DDR 333 RAM, a Radeon 9600 AGP graphics card and a variety of fairly slow HD's, so an upgrade right now would be quite nice, but I'm holding off at the moment until flash SSD's become faster and more affordable and the price of DDR3 RAM drops a bit, and also until I have more money available.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:14 AM »
I hope it continues to live. :)

I have been wanting a new case with more fans for my computer but by the time I can afford that it will probably be time for a new computer.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »
Better to quit than be fired. Destroy it before it destroys itself.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."