Educational

Author Topic: Noisy northbridge  (Read 594 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Noisy northbridge
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:30:27 AM »
It could die tomorrow, but I think it's likely to keep on functioning until I decide to upgrade.  I'm using an Athlon 2600XP with 1GB DDR 333 RAM, a Radeon 9600 AGP graphics card and a variety of fairly slow HD's, so an upgrade right now would be quite nice, but I'm holding off at the moment until flash SSD's become faster and more affordable and the price of DDR3 RAM drops a bit, and also until I have more money available.

Considering flash ram doesn't have an indefinite ability to re-write to itself, do you think SSDs are a good idea right now? I'd just settle with a large current HDD, they arent that expensive to replace these days.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:39 AM »
I hope it continues to live. :)

I have been wanting a new case with more fans for my computer but by the time I can afford that it will probably be time for a new computer.

You need a Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P60.

Of if you have the money and like pretty things, then the Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80R is in order.  :green:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »

Oooo red one's fans go faster. :drool:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 07:10:47 AM »
Now go check the price and have a heart attack.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:52 AM »
 :o Heart attacked.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Remember, at that price it is without a power supply.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »
It could die tomorrow, but I think it's likely to keep on functioning until I decide to upgrade.  I'm using an Athlon 2600XP with 1GB DDR 333 RAM, a Radeon 9600 AGP graphics card and a variety of fairly slow HD's, so an upgrade right now would be quite nice, but I'm holding off at the moment until flash SSD's become faster and more affordable and the price of DDR3 RAM drops a bit, and also until I have more money available.

Considering flash ram doesn't have an indefinite ability to re-write to itself, do you think SSDs are a good idea right now? I'd just settle with a large current HDD, they arent that expensive to replace these days.

I've already got large, cheap magnetic HDD's for my bulk storage requirements, but I want a low-latency, high-throughput solution for my OS and applications.  My current HDD's often have a noticable delay when accessing files and folders, even when spun up and fully defragmented, and flash is supposed to provide a much snappier and responsive experience.  I also already buy HDD's based partly on how much noise they make, and even the quiet ones have head-movement clicks that I find slightly irritating, so a silent drive would be quite appealing, and much better than getting fast, noisy magnetic HDD's, and the re-write limit isn't really that much of an issue either for current flash SSD's in most applications, from what I've read.  120-240GB of flash would be enough for me at the moment, preferably as 60-120GB drives in RAID-0; all my video files and similar things can happily remain on their big, slow, cheap magnetic HDD's.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »

I've already got large, cheap magnetic HDD's for my bulk storage requirements, but I want a low-latency, high-throughput solution for my OS and applications.  My current HDD's often have a noticable delay when accessing files and folders, even when spun up and fully defragmented, and flash is supposed to provide a much snappier and responsive experience.  I also already buy HDD's based partly on how much noise they make, and even the quiet ones have head-movement clicks that I find slightly irritating, so a silent drive would be quite appealing, and much better than getting fast, noisy magnetic HDD's, and the re-write limit isn't really that much of an issue either for current flash SSD's in most applications, from what I've read.  120-240GB of flash would be enough for me at the moment, preferably as 60-120GB drives in RAID-0; all my video files and similar things can happily remain on their big, slow, cheap magnetic HDD's.

What about the Western Digital Raptor line of hard drives? One or maybe 2 in a raid config would be fast. Haven't looked to see how they compare to SSDs for price per gig though.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
Raptors are fucking expensive and have only ever served for wank-factor.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »
I hope it continues to live. :)

I have been wanting a new case with more fans for my computer but by the time I can afford that it will probably be time for a new computer.

You need a Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P60.

Of if you have the money and like pretty things, then the Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80R is in order.  :green:

I have an Antec P182, which I got for £80.  It's got great features; sound-absorbing panels, HDD bays that slide out and have vibration-dampening silicone washers, a separate compartment for the PSU, space for extra PSU cables to be stored out of the way, excellent air-flow design and a generally spacious and well-thought-out layout that makes it easy to work in.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 07:45:41 AM »
Noice case. :thumbup:

I'm a bit over my antec 1080amg and the psu fans have died. However, I have inherited my younger brother's box since he got a laptop, a nice little (miniATX, in BTX config) Coolermaster, which is heaps quiet too. :asthing: w00t

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 07:46:49 AM »

What about the Western Digital Raptor line of hard drives? One or maybe 2 in a raid config would be fast. Haven't looked to see how they compare to SSDs for price per gig though.

Very noisy, the latency is still an order of magnitude or more lower than a good flash SSD, the price gap is closing rapidly in favour of flash SSD's and flash SSD's are increasingly kicking high-performance magnetic HDD's asses when it comes to throughput.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
Wow, Intel X25-M SSDs are around AUD$700 for an 80GB model. Is getting rid of the lag and noise worth that much? I wonder how long until they go down in price.

(Intel X25-M SSDs being one of if not the fasted SSDs around)

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 04:48:26 AM »
Wow, Intel X25-M SSDs are around AUD$700 for an 80GB model. Is getting rid of the lag and noise worth that much? I wonder how long until they go down in price.

(Intel X25-M SSDs being one of if not the fasted SSDs around)

No, it's not worth that much to me, thus why I'm going to put up with the lag and the various other failings of my current setup until flash SSD's become more affordable.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 03:14:23 AM »
But that's the thing, if the SSDs are all you are waiting for, then might as well build now with regular HDDs and then upgrade to SSDs later. Or even you might be ready for a new build by the time SSDs become viable.