Educational

Author Topic: Alex Plank is getting sued...  (Read 9182 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Alex Plank is getting sued...
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
Cultural genocide? Care to elaborate?
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

Do you know what "genocide" means?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
I don't really have time to write an essay, but I am happy to sketch it out. Essentially what we have here is a group of people (ourselves) are forced to behave in a certain manner that we would otherwise would not by NT society and their bullying / browbeating. I really don't need to go further, I am sure Lit will be more direct here.

They kill us spiritually or at least try to do their best to do so.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »

Why don't you focus on the places where people are actually being killed?

The general public is not going to take seriously a trumped up bullying accusation by a resentful young man calling it a genocide.
Because we first need to rally our own base, if we can do that then we have some sort of movement. The best way to rally our people is to use their experiences to persuade them and the majority of the people who we can rally are aspies who are going to be more bothered about having been bullied at school for being one, rather than a distant person on the spectrum dying off. Brutal sounding I know, but its more pragmatic.

But lets assume we get the general public rallied around over those killings. What will it actually do about our lives? Not a lot really - there will be some murmurings and then 6 weeks down the line its business as usual.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »

They kill us spiritually or at least try to do their best to do so.

Yes, they do. However it's damn hard to convince people of that without something concrete to explain it with.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

duncvis

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
I'm with Pyraxis on this one. Less amateur dramatics would help your point better than calling the insensitive actions of 'normal' people 'genocide' - most people don't even understand how we see the world, never mind actively persecute 'our culture' for being different. They simply aren't aware of it, or of how little they'd have to do to accommodate our needs.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »

Tibet.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »

The general public is not going to take seriously a trumped up bullying accusation by a resentful young man calling it a genocide.
Because we first need to rally our own base, if we can do that then we have some sort of movement. The best way to rally our people is to use their experiences to persuade them and the majority of the people who we can rally are aspies who are going to be more bothered about having been bullied at school for being one, rather than a distant person on the spectrum dying off. Brutal sounding I know, but its more pragmatic.

But lets assume we get the general public rallied around over those killings. What will it actually do about our lives? Not a lot really - there will be some murmurings and then 6 weeks down the line its business as usual.

Let's face it. Neither you nor Lit have enough credibility to speak for any cause, let alone "our" cause.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »

Tibet.

Try again.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
I'm with Pyraxis on this one. Less amateur dramatics would help your point better than calling the insensitive actions of 'normal' people 'genocide' - most people don't even understand how we see the world, never mind actively persecute 'our culture' for being different. They simply aren't aware of it, or of how little they'd have to do to accommodate our needs.
Its about selling it to our own people, the rest of the world are going to be by and large indifferent unless we do something that affects them. Which requires ourselves having an effective movement, possibly expanding it to the aegis of Disability Rights.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

Tibet.

Try again.
Check out what "cultural genocide" means - its different to plain vanilla "genocide".

TheoK

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »

And yet they always stress how "empathic" the fucking NTs are...

duncvis

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »
If you try selling it to 'our' people as genocide, I suspect most people will just tell you to fuck off. The few who would agree with such a hysterical position are AFF members, most likely, and I certainly wouldn't throw in my lot with hypersensitive crybabies like that - and I doubt they're representative of most folk on the spectrum.

TheoK

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »

Let's face it. Neither you nor Lit have enough credibility to speak for any cause, let alone "our" cause.

We'll see about that. I have a friend in the Attention movement.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »

Yeah, fine job you do of rallying our base, though. The only person who ever gets rallied is Lit, and he does more to hurt the cause than help it, cause he's so easy to write off as a nutcase.

Alex may be an ass with a crappy website but he's much more politically savvy than anyone here. (Or leeching off his father's savvy, but it doesn't really matter.)

The murders do make ripples through the spectrum communities, even if they fade quickly.

But if your idea behind protesting bullying is to start local, then probably one of the most helpful things will be to develop your own skills, persistence, and charisma.

Which means losing the arrogant sensationalist crap.  :zoinks:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
If you try selling it to 'our' people as genocide, I suspect most people will just tell you to fuck off. The few who would agree with such a hysterical position are AFF members, most likely, and I certainly wouldn't throw in my lot with hypersensitive crybabies like that - and I doubt they're representative of most folk on the spectrum.
Cultural genocide is a notch down - do your research here please. There are already schemes going off in the UK to get rid of us (even if this one is laughably ineffective):
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article676000.ece

AFF are yes hysterical, but when serious stuff begins to come out on the lines of prenatal testing, people will jump on board.