Author Topic: dead TV set  (Read 1587 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: dead TV set
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2009, 05:04:54 PM »

Yeah. I wish I had tears, sometimes.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »
Been looking at TV sets.  Visio has a decent-looking 26" HDTV for less than $350 at Wallyworld.  Anyone here know anything about Visio products?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
Yes.

I would suggest that you learn some of the basics of LCD televisions, their connectivity, how they might work with the rest of your equipment, etc. before you buy anything, if you don't already have a grasp of the new technology. Can't do that at a Walmart store.

I have no clue where you live, but if there is a Circuit City in your area - that corporate entity has entered Chapter Seven bankruptcy and are liquidating their assets.

I have heard of some crazy fucking deals going on right now. Don't wait too long!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:51:13 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »
Thanks, but actually I was in a Circuit City store just this afternoon.  Even in its death throes, it's trying to rip people off.  They say "10% off" but what they really did was raise the prices 20% and then drop 10% off of that.  Everybody I've talked to knows that, and people are pissed off at the attempted wool-over job.

I stopped by today to see if they're selling off the store displays yet.  They are, so I asked for the price of the 26" Toshiba that I had mentioned earlier in this thread.  $419 for something that's out of the box and has had all kinds of people fucking with it.  If they'd drop the price below $350, I might consider it.  They also had an HD-DVD player (same model I've already got) in the box, so for the hell of it I asked about it.  About $135.  I thought maybe since HD-DVD's dead, I might consider getting a spare for when my player wears out or if I decide I have a use for a second one in a few years, but for me to have bought that one, they would have had to drop it below $100.  There was also a camera tripod I had looked at a week earlier, but they wouldn't sell it then because they weren't allowed to sell off store displays yet.  I looked at it again today and there was a part missing.  Screw that.

A co-worker told me about a regular swap meet that goes on every few weeks in a nearby town, where one might find a working LaserDisc player.  I imagine HD-DVD players will enter that realm by the time I'm in the market for another.

Of course, I'm not buying shit until I get my tax return (expected later this week).  Most likely I'm going to Wallyworld when I do get the money.

One thing I'm now figuring out...  The computer desk is right next to the entertainment center in my living room.  I'm considering using the same UPS for both the computer stuff and the TV stuff.  I'll have to estimate how many watts max that it might all pull, and make sure the UPS can handle it.  (This is Florida I'm talking about... nasty, nasty lightning storms.  I don't think I trust a regular surge suppressor with any of my equipment.)  Battery backup would be good for both the HD-DVD player and the Blu-Ray player.  From what I've heard, if either is pulling a firmware update off the Internet when the power goes out, it might fuck it up so that it's useful only as a boat anchor.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »

That sucks!
It is totally different at the local CC stores around here. They are discounting to the basement already, selling below cost. It could be a different liquidation company.

I would hesitate to buy a display model television. It is likely that it has already run half it's life expectancy away from being on, adjusted to "maximum"  or  "dynamic"  or "store display"  settings, sixteen hours per day, every day, literally for months. Use caution.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
Good point about the display models.  I think I'll pass on those.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »
Done.  My tax return came in.  Got a 26" Sanyo HDTV, and a Samsung Blu-Ray player.  Now I've just got to get the carcass of the old TV out of here.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
Our town has days where you can throw things like that out to be recycled.  I wonder if your town might have something similar?

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »
Done.  My tax return came in.  Got a 26" Sanyo HDTV, and a Samsung Blu-Ray player.  Now I've just got to get the carcass of the old TV out of here.

just leave it on the street with a bit of paper taped to it that says "PLEASE DO NOT STEAL THIS TV".

It will be gone by morning.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »

If your local hazardous materials disposal hub won't do it for free, Best Buy charges ten dollars to recycle most old televisions. If there's a BB near you, it might be worth giving them a call.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »
I've got some info on where and when to get rid of it, so I'll just have to use that info.

Meanwhile, the new set has been properly initiated with zombie movies (Dawn of the Dead on Blu-Ray and Shaun of the Dead on HD-DVD.  I hooked up a six-dollar antenna from Big Lots today to see what it can tune in... a few soon-to-be-static analog channels and some digital channels.  I'm currently watching a show about aircraft carriers, and seeing what it looks like for a digital signal to go weak and cut out every few minutes.  Looks just like when my first camcorder kept eating tapes and croaked.  Maybe it needs an amplified antenna.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 07:15:50 AM »
I found a dead pixel on the new set last night, near the center of the screen.  It's dim enough so I could probably just ignore it.  Is that normal for most LCD TV's or did I just get one that slipped past quality control?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 07:34:17 AM »
It's not normal. In any case, shouldn't the set have a dead pixel guarantee? Our Samsung's got one. No dead pixels allowed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
I found a dead pixel on the new set last night, near the center of the screen.  It's dim enough so I could probably just ignore it.  Is that normal for most LCD TV's or did I just get one that slipped past quality control?

No, it should not be doing that.  I think that you are still within the store's warranty period, so I would take it back to the store and get a replacement.  Otherwise, call the manufacturer.

We have a Philips large screen plasma TV that had a weird vertical bar appear near the middle of the screen within the first month and the store brought us a new one to replace it.  Philips was much less helpful, once they helped us figure out that the problem was with the set by having us disconnect the power for a period of time and then restarting it.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
Thankfully, I've still got the receipt and packaging.  It'll suck having to box it back up and haul it back and all that, but I can't put up with dead pixels on something I blew a portion of my tax return on.

I once took a dehumidifier back to Wal-Mart after having it for a couple of months.  It was just running as normal one day and then suddenly croaked.  I had no trouble at all returning it, so hopefully this TV after only a couple of weeks won't be a problem.

Question...  Are these dead pixels something that accumulates over the life of an LCD monitor or TV?  Would it help to use a UPS with EMI/RFI protection on it instead of just a surge suppressor?