Educational

Author Topic: Room temperature  (Read 869 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Room temperature
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
I often encounter the term 'room temperature'.  "This species of triops prefers room temperature", "that species of ant should be kept at room temperature" or "this plant does well at room temperature".  At the current temperature of my room, however, the ants semi-hibernate and the triops are sluggish, stunted and prone to dying.  At the moment, the temperature in my room is 18.8C (66F), and it stays within a degree or two of that temperature during winter.  In the summer, when the sun shines through the big south-facing bay windows, it easily gets up to 35C (95F) in my room (and opening the window isn't that great an option due to the heavy traffic).

What's the temperature of your rooms?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

Re: Room temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
Usually 18-19 oC, preferrably not over 20. Though I think 25 oC is more common.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
I often encounter the term 'room temperature'.  "This species of triops prefers room temperature", "that species of ant should be kept at room temperature" or "this plant does well at room temperature".  At the current temperature of my room, however, the ants semi-hibernate and the triops are sluggish, stunted and prone to dying.  At the moment, the temperature in my room is 18.8C (66F), and it stays within a degree or two of that temperature during winter.  In the summer, when the sun shines through the big south-facing bay windows, it easily gets up to 35C (95F) in my room (and opening the window isn't that great an option due to the heavy traffic).

What's the temperature of your rooms?
Depends where you stand. I imagine keeping your plants and ants near the radiator in winter and away from the window in summer :)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
I keep my thermostat set on 68°F (20°C) in the daytime in the winter, but it could be much warmer than that in the summer here.

I thought that "room temperature" usually meant around 70°F (21°C).

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
In Sweden it's usually pretty warm indoors in the winter. When people are inside they wear as little clothes as possible. I can't even sleep if it's much more than 20 oC in the room.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »
Without heat really working to well right now it 60F or lower that right now in My apartment.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
I don't know what my room temperature is because I don't use the standard heater. I use the fake fireplace.

P7PSP

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:34:31 AM »
Variable in my place. Thermostat doesn't work well so it'll get too hot and turn it down until it gets too cold and start over.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:17:11 AM »
About 62F down stairs 70F upstairs where the duct work is new in the summer what ever it is outside
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline the evil one

• Part of the Chaos
  • badder than death
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »
I rely on a fan and 2 tiny space heaters, so I'm sure my apartment has a variety of "micro-climates".

P7PSP

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
Is your dog part of the micro climate technology in your place? I haven't met a dog big enough to think it's not a lap dog. I think your county has shittier weather than mine (Solano).

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:43:28 PM »
68 degrees just like my grandmother and grandfather.  I got the cuffs slapped on to me, I have a $178 gas bill.  My house has problems, this is way out of controll. :finger:  I get up cold, so I put on my grandfather's old sweater, and then another jacket.  After lunch I typically start to sweat, and at dinner to.  By the end of the day, if I haven' already jacked off,  I am almost insane from not doing so.  I think it would be best for me to start eating junkfood again, reform my habits :laugh:  I would makes lots of intresting orders to, get a herpes sore, and a mouth sore.  Then verbally attack people here because I am in  foul mood. :laugh:
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
72 degrees is optimal for working conditions, or higher.  I would turn in up, but my gas bill is already high.  I could be wrong and I saw in entruepeanur.  I sense manipulation, and I threw out all the old magazines :'(  I get amused reading them, but I don't laugh so much anymore.
I talk to myself, but its because I think someone is watching me.  In my own home, alone, I don't usually do that.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
It's 19C in my study, right now. Around 20 in the house.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »
i'm too green to put the heating up much, so i'd say it's about 16oC tops in the house overall.  there's no heating in my workroom, though, so it's cold in here.  brrrrr.