Educational

Author Topic: Being a vegetarian  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
Being a vegetarian
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »
I don't think I'll cope with a vegan diet, but I might manage with the vegetarian one. I ain't doing it because of the poor little animals, I'm doing it for health reasons, that's all.

Anyone got any advice on how to manage a veggie diet? Is it more expensive than eating meat?
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Being a vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »
Nah its cheaper, plus there are substitutes for everything nower days. Just get yourself a good veggie cookbook if you get stuck.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »
Nah its cheaper, plus there are substitutes for everything nower days. Just get yourself a good veggie cookbook if you get stuck.

Are you a vegetarian?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

At your age I would say that it might be more expensive, depending on your local conditions, since your metabolism is still working in full force. Your demand for food is probably three times as high as mine. The most nutritional veggies are grown in areas close to you, so it becomes important that you eat fresh vegetables from farmers markets or locally supported co-op shops.

Proteins will be an issue of cost, because protein-rich foods such as legumes and nuts are seasonal and canned varieties are not as nutritious. Importing them costs a fortune. Just ask Lucifer about the cost of proteins. It's not that you need as many proteins as most peoples use, though. If you are seriously planning to change your diet, then some research is your next plan. Learning what your body actually needs is a process, not a quick trip. Then it changes with weather, stress, expenditure of internal resources, etc.

I have managed a half-way balance between veggie and carnage, for about fifteen years. I use my urges as a reference. When meat looks good I eat some. Moderation is the key. I mostly eat vegetables, fruits and nuts, when I can, though. Unless you have a problem related to your health requiring you to abandon meat products, I would advise against a complete veggie diet at your age.

Mostly plants for a diet is good, but keep track of your body's needs as well as you can. Vitamin B12 is another "always"  issue in a veggie diet. As I mentioned, research. There are reasons why you want something when you encounter it. Just remember to eat lightly of the things that may impact your overall health, later in life.

Personal research and a bit of trial and error and error and error, until you get things right.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »

Oh, and the poor little animals are not as comfortable next to the rice or the potatoes, so make casseroles, FTW.

You know a bit about culinary prowess, yourself, so explore!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »
i've been a veggie since the age of 18, dawg, and my health improved rather than having any problems, so i don't think pea's age is an issue.

but dawg's right, pea - get yourself some reliable information about nutrition, so you can ensure a balanced diet.  i'll help wherever i can, but i'm a typical aspie in that you'll have to ask me specific questions, or you'll be in several comas by the time i've finished droning on about everything and anything, nutrition-wise.  :laugh:  and i have an eating disorder, so it'd be do as i say, not as i do, too.

it's still far cheaper than eating meat, though, and i buy organic and high quality food as much as i can.

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
I turned into skin and bone as a veggie over a few months when I was 16. Mind you, I couldn't cook. I did alright during another veggie spell about six years ago, cos Mel can.  :zoinks:

I like meat though, and have no ethical problem with eating other creatures, but waste offends me. In general, my current attitude to vegetarianism is best summed up by :

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
i've been a veggie since the age of 18, dawg, and my health improved rather than having any problems, so i don't think pea's age is an issue.

but dawg's right, pea - get yourself some reliable information about nutrition, so you can ensure a balanced diet.  i'll help wherever i can, but i'm a typical aspie in that you'll have to ask me specific questions, or you'll be in several comas by the time i've finished droning on about everything and anything, nutrition-wise.  :laugh:  and i have an eating disorder, so it'd be do as i say, not as i do, too.

it's still far cheaper than eating meat, though, and i buy organic and high quality food as much as i can.

Ah, but your story is typical of females. P has to deal with twenty (plus!) per cent greater muscles mass than you.
Protein is an issue. I never said his health would deteriorate, anyway. What I said was that he needed to do research on his own and become well acquainted with his own physical needs. His needs are unique to him and only he can make the proper choices for himself. He just needs to learn about what to look for and how to be aware of when extra foods in certain areas are needed.

... but, I say, GO FOR IT!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:05:53 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »

Are you a vegetarian?
One who eats fish now - though I was one for a while. (note I am not doing this for ethical reasons - like you)

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 08:02:19 AM »

Are you a vegetarian?
One who eats fish now - though I was one for a while. (note I am not doing this for ethical reasons - like you)

You're a pescetarian then -- not a proper veggie.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
Eating fish is one of the most environmentally destructive and inhumane ways to get protein.  Entire populations have gone extinct through overfishing, a lot of fishing today is essentially mining deep-water fish like orange roughy that grow and reproduce on a timescale of decades to centuries, bottom trawling destroys vast areas of seabed habitat and there's enormous wastage through bycatch.  Once the fish are caught, they aren't given anything remotely resembling a humane death, despite being intelligent, complex animals with well developed nervous systems.  When a cow is slaughtered, it gets a bolt through it's brain and loses consciousness before it can feel any pain, but fish just get dumped into a refrigerated hold to suffocate, freeze or be crushed to death.  It's also unhealthy; as marine predators, fish accumulate a lot of heavy metals and persistent organic pollutants through bioaccumulation up the food chain.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »
When I was a teenager still living at home, my parents decided to go vegetarian.  I ate no meat, fish, or poultry for eight years.  Although, I kept milk and eggs.  The biggest hurdle is knowing how to cook that way.  Some of your usual recipes will have to be thrown out, because if you try to replace your favorite ground beef recipe with tofu or one of the other substitutes, you'll be disappointed.  Try learning ethnic dishes that were created as vegetarian foods, indian, chinese, japanese... many of these dishes started out vegetarian because meat was just too expensive for them, it was only when westerners began eating it was meat added.  You'll need to learn about complete proteins, and how to combine foods so that you can get what your body needs.  With that said, Europeans, and Americans especially eat FAR too much protein than their bodies actually need.  Humans were not designed to eat meat at every meal, it was just too difficult for us to get before we started domesticating animals.  It's not as difficult as many believe to get complete proteins in their diet, and all that your body actually needs... not what we've been led to believe.  Combing rice and beans, salad with chickpeas, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, hummus... 

I say go for it P, it's not nearly as difficult as it may seem, and it's a very good thing to do, not only for your own health, but the planet's as well.  It's also gotten a lot easier since I was a vegetarian to find vegetarian food at restaurants. 
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
I don't think I'll cope with a vegan diet, but I might manage with the vegetarian one. I ain't doing it because of the poor little animals, I'm doing it for health reasons, that's all.

Anyone got any advice on how to manage a veggie diet? Is it more expensive than eating meat?
this means you will not be allowed to eat dick.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »

Oh... shit!

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »

oh dear - what happens if you're a veggie and you do?  :hide: