Author Topic: Self-awareness  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
Re: Self-awareness
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
When I was a teenager, my Mother was scared of me :(

Any particular reason for this?

To this day I do not know why. It was my Dad who told me that I scare her and that, even when I was at school she was scared of even going into my bedroom. I do not believe that I was a monster... and I never objected to my Mum tidying my room if she felt the inclination.

I've never been able to figure it :(

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
I'm a fifty three year old man who awakens (no longer on the hour, sadly  :'( ) every other day with a high pitched, "ping" sounding hardon and I have a fucking pimple to chase, once a week.

Not much more to add here, that I haven't talked about for a couple of years. Read my old posts. Most of them are about my awareness of self and how it annoys me to be me. I certainly wouldn't want to be anyone else, though!!!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
I'm a fifty three year old man who awakens (no longer on the hour, sadly  :'( ) every other day with a high pitched, "ping" sounding hardon and I have a fucking pimple to chase, once a week.

Not much more to add here, that I haven't talked about for a couple of years. Read my old posts. Most of them are about my awareness of self and how it annoys me to be me. I certainly wouldn't want to be anyone else, though!!!!

To quote Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List: "Never waste a hard-on." ; )
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

To quote Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List: "Never waste a hard-on." ; )

That's from the three rules of middle age or some such tripe.

1. Never waste a hardon.

2. Never pass up a place to piss.

3. Never, EVER trust a fart.

Ya gotta luv it

OH, I have to see The Bucket List.   I love both of those old guys. 

(waiting for it to come back around for $3.99 at work, which is below employee cost and only forty cents more than renting the fucking thing)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:44:45 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »

To this day I do not know why. It was my Dad who told me that I scare her and that, even when I was at school she was scared of even going into my bedroom. I do not believe that I was a monster... and I never objected to my Mum tidying my room if she felt the inclination.

Why didn't you ask her?

Is she still alive?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 05:40:33 AM »
I'm, like, fully awesome. :green:
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
I'm probably more of a spaz than I realise.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
Why didn't you ask her?

Is she still alive?

She is still alive. I didn't consider asking her at the time... it was sufficient that my Dad told me. Now is a couple of decades after the fact and she doesn't have a good memory. I'd also feel uncomfortable asking her.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
Why didn't you ask her?

Is she still alive?

She is still alive. I didn't consider asking her at the time... it was sufficient that my Dad told me. Now is a couple of decades after the fact and she doesn't have a good memory. I'd also feel uncomfortable asking her.

I don't understand why you would be uncomfortable asking her whether she was afraid of you when you were a teenager and if so, then why.

Even if her memory is poor now, she probably has a much better memory for what happened back then than for what she ate for breakfast and encouraging her to talk about her past could be a good way to find a connection with her.

I learned all sorts of things from my parents even after I was grown up because I wasn't too shy to ask them questions.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »
Why didn't you ask her?

Is she still alive?

I don't understand why you would be uncomfortable asking her whether she was afraid of you when you were a teenager and if so, then why.

Even if her memory is poor now, she probably has a much better memory for what happened back then than for what she ate for breakfast and encouraging her to talk about her past could be a good way to find a connection with her.

I learned all sorts of things from my parents even after I was grown up because I wasn't too shy to ask them questions.

My mother refuses to talk about anything that happened in the past unless its superficial.

Perhaps Nocti just gave off that serial killer vibe that some of us have and thats what frightened his mother?

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:42 AM »

It would just be too intense.

Wrong way around. Her short term memory is good, its her long term memory that leave much to be desired. :(

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 06:51:31 AM »
Perhaps Nocti just gave off that serial killer vibe that some of us have and thats what frightened his mother?

That's what my guess is.

I do seem to be an off-putting sort of person at the best of times. People don't tend to wish to know me on the most part. Thank goodness my wife is Swiss and didn't listen to the person who warned her not to associate with me.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »

I am not surprised. That is an awful thing to say without sorting it out with you. And you have let it follow you for all these years thinking there was definitely a reason for her thoughts? Do you think that as anyone gets to know you, they will eventually see what your mum thinks she saw? What a horrible blow to your self esteem. :hug:

I know that when I was taking Tegretol (an anti-epileptic), I was told not to eat grapefruit. That was the only restriction.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 07:14:05 PM »
And you have let it follow you for all these years thinking there was definitely a reason for her thoughts?

I would imagine there would have to be a reason. My parents made mistakes (because it wasn't understood that I was differently wired) but they were generally very loving.

One of the joys of my two children is that they are totally at ease with me and totally natural. Everybody else seems to be more distant in varying degrees. Many people think negative things about me. From a female company director who thought me chauvenistic... to some who find me patronising or arrogant. My wife tells me that I can look very scarey when I am angry... she says my lips turn white and my eyes go black... sounds scarey to me. Fortunately I seldom let myself get so very angry that that happens - she's only seen it one or two times early on in our marriage.

Perhaps that is why my Mother was once scared of me.

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
Now that I am back at school again I have become aware that people think things of me that are not true. Arrogant, snobbish, aloof, stuck-up. A few of the other students have told me that there is one person that thinks all these things about me yet she has only spoken to me once and that was after I made my speech to the class about why I want to study psychology. She sort of apologised about "anything I may have said to you" but I honestly can't remember us having any kind of converation before that. I can't figure it out.

My tutor really likes me and I can't figure that out either.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae