Author Topic: Self-awareness  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Self-awareness
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
Post things you've noticed about yourself.  Over the years, I've gotten the impression that most people are largely oblivious to what's going on with their own minds and bodies.  Once, while drinking in a bar, I mentioned to a girl that alcohol makes my lips numb, and she was surprised to find that it made hers numb too; she'd never noticed before.

Other things I've noticed:

When I'm dehydrated, my heart and pulse are much more noticeable, to the point of being intrusive.  My eyes get dry and bloodshot when I'm tired.  Salt makes me pee more.  My ability to produce body heat is greatly reduced when I'm hungry.  Moderate doses of alcohol have a powerful analgesic effect on me (which I demonstrated once by holding a flame directly under my left forearm for 5 seconds; I didn't feel any pain at all, and I still have a scar from it).  Capsaicin irritates my intestines.  Often my brain stalls and puts me into a semi-lucid, inattentive state for 5-10 seconds (my mum has the same problem, but she's not aware of it unless I point it out to her, while I'm always aware that it's happening).  Grapefruit makes my lips tingle.  Kiwi fruit makes my tongue sore.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Self-awareness
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
Kiwi fruit makes my tongue sore.

Kiwi fruit has an enzyme that digests protein called actinidin, so I wonder if it may be starting to digest your tongue.  Does fresh pineapple do the same thing to you?

Asparagus makes my urine smell funny.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »
Drinking tea makes my urine smell of tea.

I no longer drink coffee, but when I did my urine smelled of coffee.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
I'm pretty bad at noticing physical things about myself.

Um... when I was little my eyes were green, and now they're more like hazel brown.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »
My irises are light blue like crackled glass with dark blue rings.

My daughter's eyes are green with dark rings.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »
I have a slightly twisted nose but it has never been broken... it just developed that way.

When I was a teenager, my Mother was scared of me :(

I have a longing to be wanted by people... though when certain people do want my company, I tend to discount it and find it difficult to believe or accept.

PS... I have never even considered drinking urine to check whether or not my urine will then smell of urine :lol:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
 :laugh: My nose is twisted as well, but it's because of a trampoline accident when I was about eight. We were playing crack the egg (where one person sits crosslegged with their arms around their legs and the others jump as hard as they can, to make the "egg" fall over and let go). I sat with my knees too high and my nose slammed into one of them.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
I sat with my knees too high and my nose slammed into one of them.

Ouch! :o Poor you.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »

Kiwi fruit has an enzyme that digests protein called actinidin, so I wonder if it may be starting to digest your tongue.  Does fresh pineapple do the same thing to you?

I have that problem with tomatoes, at least just the pips/juice.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
I am currently drinking acai berry juice with a splash of vodka. I am, as Dave Lister (RED DWARF) would put it, "nicely drunk."
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »

Pineapple does it too, though I notice it irritating the skin around my mouth more than my tongue.  Raw onion makes my tongue sore, but that's from the sulphuric acid, rather than enzymes.

I can voluntarily flex my stomach (not my abdominal muscles, but the actual stomach wall); doing it too vigorously uncomfortably strains the ligaments in my chest cavity though.  When I'm dehydrated, the skin on my face dries and flakes off.  I get an electric buzzing sensation through my body when I'm very tired, and see coloured lights if I close my eyes.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »
Pineapple does it too, though I notice it irritating the skin around my mouth more than my tongue.

My wife is deadly allergic to pineapple. Her mouth, tongue and throat would swell up... it would be a real hospital emergency if she accidentally ate some. We keep it well out of house, and check ingrediaents to make sure pineapple isn't in it. Our biggest surprise was that some brands of Carrot Cake contain pineapple... go figure.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »
When I was a teenager, my Mother was scared of me :(

Any particular reason for this?

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
I get really cold when I'm over tired, confused when I'm totally exhausted.

Black walnuts give me blisters on the roof of my mouth.

If I cry my eyes turn from green to emerald.

I can burp at will.  :zoinks:

I can touch my chin with the tip of my tongue.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »
I can barely get my tongue out of my mouth.  I can burp at will though.