Author Topic: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Hand in your Geek Card. What movies are a must see?
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
Here's a few foreign films I enjoyed

La Dolce Vita - Federico Fellini
Les Quatre cents coups (The 400 Blows) Francois Traffaut
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie) - Luis Buñuel
Everything Is Illuminated - Directed by Liev Schreiber (adapted from the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer)
Umberto D. - Vittorio De Sica
Le Temps qui reste (Time to Leave) - Francois Ozon

All of Kubricks films as well

Don't know what you consider "foreign" but "Illuminated..." is American.

Yeah America is foreign to me. Very Foreign  :laugh:

Sure, its the odd one out. I was thinking foreign events etc.

Where do you live? :-\

Ireland dude

Well, that explains it. Foreign films. :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Who is the "Master"?

Alfred Hitchcock is often called 'The Master of Suspense' and this in tern is often just shortened to 'The Master' :green:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
"Peeping Tom" is such a boring film, though.

Whaaaaat?!!! :o

Its a work of genius.

It's *boring*.

It is not 'boring' in the least. Somebody might find it not to their taste and may be bored by it, but that does NOT make the movie itself 'boring'.

I don't have to have anyone agreeing with me to know that I think "Harry" is better. ;D

::)

You 'know' and so you 'think' you are!!! :lol:

When you want to have a proper discussion about cinema... let me know.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
It is, and remains, my informed opinion that "Peeping Tom" is one of the most overrated films of all time, right up there with some of Bergman's junk, that "Vertigo", while good, is not Hitchcock's best film, and that "Harry", among others, is a better film.

Apart from your opinions (and seemingly those of some others) differing from mine, what makes yours more *proper* and worthy of a discussion?  :finger:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »
temper, temper, you two.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
There's a lot of political correctness to be dealt with if you want to talk about films. I've been showing so-called classics for 20+ years and this whole holier-than-thou attitude still pisses me off. You have no idea of how many times I've heard variations of Nocti's comments.

WTF happened to free will, being allowed to prefer one film over another, etc?

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
There's a lot of political correctness to be dealt with if you want to talk about films. I've been showing so-called classics for 20+ years and this whole holier-than-thou attitude still pisses me off. You have no idea of how many times I've heard variations of Nocti's comments.

I think the film you are referring to is actually titled, "Free Willy."

*snort*

I agree with you BTW, not necessarily your choices, but certainly the statement that political correctness making one film "better" than another is foolish.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:11:18 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

*snort*

:laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
I don't know that what I'm actually holding could be called a Geek Card, but if I don't get a hotfix of Milla Jovovich occasionally,  I get all rotten inside.

:hahaha:

I :pinkbeat: Milla Jovovich!

Cool pics! I have used several of Milla Jovovich's old model shoots as avatars over the years. I probably won't stray far from the one I have now, though. It's "ME."

Quite a listing of movies you have there. WoW!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »

They should have made two versions: the familiar one in which Willy makes it through the jump into the open sea, and one where he doesn't make it and squashes the kid.   >:D  That way, you could have gone to the theater to see it not knowing which version it is until toward the end when Willy makes the jump.  That would be some real suspense.

Somebody mentioned Mulholland Drive.  Haven't seen it yet, but I did notice that a used HD-DVD of it is now $100 on Amazon.  I'm damn sure not paying that much for any movie, let alone a used copy.  Maybe I'll get it when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
It is, and remains, my informed opinion that "Peeping Tom" is one of the most overrated films of all time, right up there with some of Bergman's junk, that "Vertigo", while good, is not Hitchcock's best film, and that "Harry", among others, is a better film.

If your opinion is 'informed' then please give me some INFORMED rationale from you as to why you are right. Then I will either see your point, or furnish you with a counter argument.

As to trying to ride rough shod over each other's opinions... that is fruitless, uninformed and anything but a serious discussion regarding cinema. I've seen no evidence of an 'informed' opinion in what you have said. Indeed, its seems singularly uninformed presently.

I agree only with you on the point that majority opinion is not always correct. However, the onus is on the minority opinion to be evidenced as worthwhile to pay any heed to. Most serious students of film would be aghast at what you have said about 'Peeping Tom' and 'Vertigo'.

If your opinion is 'informed' then inform rather than just ignorantly state contrariwise to the positions of experts both within and without the industry.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »

My comment, Sonny Jim, has NOTHING to do with political correctness.

I know the movies in question, 'Peeping Tom', 'Vertigo' and 'The Trouble with Harry' very well indeed. I watch them many times and they are part of my extensive film collection on DVD. I could not give two hoots about political correctness, Odeon... and you should have known me long enough to realise that.

You might show old classics, Sirrah and imagine yourself an expert, however I have studied film since as far back as I can remember... something like 35 years. I've given you NO holier-than-thou attitude mate - you are the one who has attacked, not I. You have simply picked a lesser known Hitchcock movie to try and show how clever and rebelious you are - well it doesn't wash with me unless you can back yourself up rationally and with knowledge.

I like 'The Trouble with Harry' very much indeed, but to claim it is Hitchcock's best movie is frankly bizaare and stinks of being deliberately against the tide for the sake of being against the tide rather for any rational reason. True, it could be the very best in any other Director's catalogue, but not in Hitchcock's. What? does it rate higher than 'Shadow of a Doubt', 'Psycho', 'Rear Window', 'The Wrong Man' or even a piece of Hitchock confectionary like 'North by Northwest'. Possibly on a par with 'North by Northwest' but no better.

There is so much genius and excellence in Hitchcock's canon that it is difficult to say which of his movies are best. However, 'Vertigo' certainly stands ahead of most, if not all. 'Marnie' is underrated and deserves better just like 'The Trouble with Harry' does... I agree. However, get pissy with somebody else, if the above is an example of the limits of your knowledge.

I think you picked on 'The Trouble with Harry' only because you are attracted to going against the flow for no better reason than to go against the flow. Maybe you thought I would be unfamiliar with the movie - think again. Hey its a really good movie, I'm not saying otherwise... a great movie indeed... but in that canon of movies. No. Not the best by any stretch - and I do not think anybody with serious knowledge would even suggest it.

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

...And I have at no time said you should not have your own preferences. Don't try shifting the goal posts.

Hey, I like 'Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace' and enjoy watching it... but I'm not about to call it even a good movie... its very and deeply flawed.

I do not mind you finding 'Peeping Tom' personally boring. However you railed against my suggestion that the movie is one to watch by stating that it is 'boring'... not your preference but a condemnation. Many people find the movie far from boring. You have every right to your preferences... but don't beat me over the head with them - especially not by such empty statement. 'Its boring'... So god has spoken has he! I think not. I think the person who said that ought to have some humility and recognise it is just his personal preference rather than a condemnation of a work of art.

As for 'Vertigo's significance. It is recognised as significant and worthy of preservation by the American Library of Congress, and also highly ranked by the American Film Institute. Whilst this doesn't PROVE its a better film than 'The Trouble with Harry' it is at least worthy of note that the latter has not been so honoured (I agree that America has never given the movie the respect it deserves... however you pay it too much, Odeon).

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2008/06/18/afi-topmovies-list.html

You want a SERIOUS conversation about cinema. Then adjust your ego and realise that YOU saying a movie I suggest for viewing is 'boring' is not necessarilly good enough. No. Not good enough by far. Shame on you, Odeon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:00:22 PM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2008, 01:14:04 AM »

If your opinion is 'informed' then please give me some INFORMED rationale from you as to why you are right. Then I will either see your point, or furnish you with a counter argument.

As to trying to ride rough shod over each other's opinions... that is fruitless, uninformed and anything but a serious discussion regarding cinema. I've seen no evidence of an 'informed' opinion in what you have said. Indeed, its seems singularly uninformed presently.

I agree only with you on the point that majority opinion is not always correct. However, the onus is on the minority opinion to be evidenced as worthwhile to pay any heed to. Most serious students of film would be aghast at what you have said about 'Peeping Tom' and 'Vertigo'.

If your opinion is 'informed' then inform rather than just ignorantly state contrariwise to the positions of experts both within and without the industry.

Again, please tell me why your opinions (or those of film students, or the Library of Congress, or the American Film Institute, or...) should account for more than mine. That's what it boils down to, Nocti. Art is in the eyes of the beholder and there are no universal truths re film A being *better* than film B, even if the snob in you wishes to join the party line (or, indeed, if you actually prefer A to B).

See, what pisses me off is your less than subtle hint saying that even though I'm allowed to form my own opinion re Peeping Tom (thank you, massah), everyone (whose opinions *matters*) *knows* that it is one of the great films of all time so while you so graciously allow me to differ, the "experts" know better.

I find that sort of attitude patronising and extremely annoying. And please know that while it's mostly irrelevant in this context, I have studied films for as long as you--longer, actually--and have most likely seen more films than you. My love for film is the reason why I became a projectionist, apart from the technical side of the profession.

You should listen to your own advice. Have some humility and recognise that your opinions are just that, your opinions. Nothing more. I don't give a fuck if the Library of Congress agrees with you or not because frankly, that's irrelevant. In the end all we are talking about are opinions.

Want a *serious* discussion about film? Get rid of the holier-than-thou attitude.

- Albert Einstein

GalileoAce

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2008, 01:25:50 AM »
I like 'The Trouble with Harry' very much indeed, but to claim it is Hitchcock's best movie is frankly bizaare and stinks of being deliberately against the tide for the sake of being against the tide rather for any rational reason. True, it could be the very best in any other Director's catalogue, but not in Hitchcock's. What? does it rate higher than 'Shadow of a Doubt', 'Psycho', 'Rear Window', 'The Wrong Man' or even a piece of Hitchock confectionary like 'North by Northwest'. Possibly on a par with 'North by Northwest' but no better.

I don't claim to be a "film buff" or some such elitist fanboyism, but Psycho sucked balls. You call Hitchcock the master of suspense which I'll grant you given Rear Window and NbNW. But Psycho was in no way suspenseful... I'll chalk it up to a pathetic script.

Based off of the three Hitchcock films I've seen (Psycho, RW and NbNW) Rear Window is the best. I loved that film. Though NbNW was pretty good (even if I didn't get to see the end :'( )