Educational

Author Topic: Can Aspies stand up to "salespeople"  (Read 770 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Can Aspies stand up to "salespeople"
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:05:02 AM »
I went into the Vodafone shop last week to ask about my phone bill and I had to talk to a slick indian guy - he kept saying "by the looks of this you need the more expensive package" and things like "I'll just upgrade you to the more expensive package because you need that". I had to keep saying "no, I don't want that". I said "I don't want the more expensive package, I want to stay on the one I'm on" and he shrugged and said "well, it's not that much more expensive, so I'll put you on it now" and I had to just keep repeating it.

Also in the shop I work in we let entrepreneur type people set up stands to sell people things in the entrance, and some of them were trying to sell perfume sets to passers by for £30. The one guy kept bothering us (the staff) and trying to sell it to us too. I said "I don't want it, I can't afford it, have noone to buy it for" and he kept arguing with me saying "Even if you don't have a girlfirend surely you have a mother" and "you have a debit card don't you".

Also, I think he was trying use some kind of neurological programming to hypnotise us. He kept repeating phases in a soft voice and copying my movements. That's why I didn't look at him and ignored him.

duncvis

Re: Can Aspies stand up to "salespeople"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:48:54 AM »
'Read my lips - BACK OFF' seems to work well.  >:(

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »
It doesn't get you a discount though. The best trick is to go into a shop knowing what you want, then use the terminology. That way they know that you cannot be fooled.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:46 AM »
Everytime I go to the Bank they try to offer me a credit card. I made a serious comment to a woman that works there about closing my account while sitting one on one with her in her office. She then just ignores it and said something like "Oh you would be interested in a credit card". Man, I just shut down on people when they do that shit to me. I just stared her straight in the eyes and said, "NO." I was perfectly polite the whole time, until that moment. They are just so blindly desperate for your money that they drive you away. Their methods just seem self defeatist to me. I mean it must work on morons, or they would hesitate?

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:12 AM »
I went into the Vodafone shop last week to ask about my phone bill and I had to talk to a slick indian guy - he kept saying "by the looks of this you need the more expensive package" and things like "I'll just upgrade you to the more expensive package because you need that". I had to keep saying "no, I don't want that". I said "I don't want the more expensive package, I want to stay on the one I'm on" and he shrugged and said "well, it's not that much more expensive, so I'll put you on it now" and I had to just keep repeating it.

Also in the shop I work in we let entrepreneur type people set up stands to sell people things in the entrance, and some of them were trying to sell perfume sets to passers by for £30. The one guy kept bothering us (the staff) and trying to sell it to us too. I said "I don't want it, I can't afford it, have noone to buy it for" and he kept arguing with me saying "Even if you don't have a girlfirend surely you have a mother" and "you have a debit card don't you".

Also, I think he was trying use some kind of neurological programming to hypnotise us. He kept repeating phases in a soft voice and copying my movements. That's why I didn't look at him and ignored him.

Richard Bandler did a course for salesman.

In the vodaphone example, it seems you knew exactly what you wanted. I would have said, "I want X,Y,Z: if you can't sort it out, then I will go elsewhere." Phone shops don't have a monopoly.
In the shop where you work example, I would make it clear that I wasn't interested. Any further pestering would result in me telling him to stick his sales-products up his arse.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:02:59 AM by Kos »
batcat

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »
I actually sold shoes about 4 years or so ago.   Surprisingly I did fairly well after I got used to the job, though I was a bit robotic in how I approached the customer (like I was reading a script haha).  You can definitely stand up to salespeople.    Just be knowledgeable and research your options before you go.   Don't let them try to bully you or act like they know more than you.   My dad loves to take me car shopping because I usually know a lot more than the car salesperson about their own cars (Car and Driver + Road and Track subscriptions ftw).   
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:43 AM »
I used to be more of a sucker for those things than I am now.  Now when people get pushy I turn around and walk out not saying a word sometimes they give chase but I give them that "if you don't back off I'll kill you"  look and it seams fine then again it's hard to go back to that store after that :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
To answer the question...absolutely!

I will not deal with people like that. When I shop, I know what I want, and if they try to sell me anything else I walk away.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
My dad loves to take me car shopping because I usually know a lot more than the car salesperson about their own cars (Car and Driver + Road and Track subscriptions ftw).

:laugh: I need someone like you, when I finally get around to buying a car.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
It doesn't get you a discount though. The best trick is to go into a shop knowing what you want, then use the terminology. That way they know that you cannot be fooled.

True, unfortunately.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
If I already know exactly what I want, I'll buy it online. No spotty wankers trying to sell warranties, and it usually works out cheaper. In real shops I save haggling until I've already selected what I want with the sales gloits safely on the other side of the shop. And I generally do get the discount.  :eyebrows:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
My dad loves to take me car shopping because I usually know a lot more than the car salesperson about their own cars (Car and Driver + Road and Track subscriptions ftw).

You could just go to a few dealerships, learn the terminology, then go to the one that has the car you want.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
This is why I buy all my shit online.

I hate salesmen.  I can usually say no.

I sold tires for almost two years.  It's easy to get lost of the fact that you're dealing with a person.  I ripped a couple people off, but I tried really, really hard to be good.  Especially people you could tell were hard up.  Like this one girl who came in... she had plates from a couple states away, her car was loaded with shit, and she looked like she'd been on the road for a while.  She needed one tire because it had gone flat and been fucked up.  I worked out a quote that was about $60 and she got really sad, and said she couldn't afford it.  Once my boss walked away I was able to lower it to $25 and she was on her way.

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »

There are plenty of us around it seems.   You are moving somewhere that isn't very far from me anyways.   The thing is you have to walk out on the salesperson and can't take the first deal they put in front of you ever.   Just knowing everything about the car is not enough.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
Good to know.

I could learn the terminology if I spent enough time at it, but cars really don't interest me. I'm one of those ditzes who cares foremost about the color.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.