Educational

Author Topic: The new scouge of America  (Read 607 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: The new scouge of America
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 07:17:27 AM »
And er, what did that have to do with motorised chairs? Perhaps he'd like to be in one.....

I have a 'diabled' stciker I keep in mum's car for when I'm at her place. As I don't drive, it's still valid for when I'm being driven around. They aren't just for wheelchars, but blind and other diasbilities as well.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »
Nothing, I guess.

I thought "indicating" meant signaling a turn in traffic, since over here, they call those little flashing lights on cars which you use to signal a turn, turn indicators if they want to seem uppity. We expect word usages from outside our borders to be different, since we mostly change everything to suit ourselves.

:asthing:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:11:29 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:05 AM »
Actually, I was referring to hardon's vid. These posts tend to get screwed up if you aren't quick enough.

We call 'em indicators, or blinkers. In the old days you had to hand-signal. Straight out for right hand turn (as we drive on the left), and bent up for left turn.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:17:56 AM by The_Chosen_One »

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:52 PM »
It's these motorized wheel chairs that are everywhere on the streets,sidewalks and stores.   Nobody seems to watch what they do and think the world revolves abound them with their reckless driving and deserving attitude.  I figure less than half need them judging but the wear on their shoes.   And who pays or this we do all thouse adds on the TV saying they will get them for you for free from the government teat.  I have no problem with the people who need them but there are so many who don't >:(

Yeah I have read about medicare fraud in the local paper here. People are forging doctor's sigs to get themselves a power chair and they charge the medicare company. Now they have found out lot of it was fraud and the doctor's prescribed no such thing to those people. Now Medicare has lost thousands of dollars.

I have seen young people in one but she really needed it. There was something wrong with her legs. How do I know, I lived in Montana and she lived in the same town as me and her kids went to school so I saw her a lot with her kids, at sport games, as school events, etc. I have even seen her walking using a cane and she was limping. She was in her 30's.

But how can you tell who doesn't need one? They will look normal but how can we tell there isn't something wrong with their legs?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
Look at their shoes and see how much wear is on them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »
I have seen a person park their car in a disabled bay and then run to catch the train. They probably didn't have an ACROD sticker either. >:(

There is a guy in my class who uses a motorised wheelchair most of the time but he uses a scooter when he goes grocery shopping because then he can carry more bags.

I met a guy who found a handicapped parking permit in a parking lot and he picked it up and took it with him. He said he uses it sometimes so he wouldn't have to walk far but most of the time he doesn't because he is nice to let others use it who really do need it. But I still didn't like the idea of him ever using it, it's dishonest and it wouldn't work for him anyway because it's not registered to his car. So if a officer saw the permit and saw it's not registered to his car, he will write him a ticket.

I don't know if he was trying to impress me but it sure didn't. He did other things I didn't like like road rage. Not something I want my child to learn or the dishonesty. After one day I decided he wasn't for me.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »

Do you compare it with how worn their clothes look?  Some people might have worn shoes because they haven't bought a new pair in the past 20 years.  I only buy a new pair of boots when my current ones are falling apart.  :P
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »

Do you compare it with how worn their clothes look?  Some people might have worn shoes because they haven't bought a new pair in the past 20 years.  I only buy a new pair of boots when my current ones are falling apart.  :P

Actually I do :green: also the condition of the uppers as apposed to the soles tells a lot.  BTW my shoes are falling apart too

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
The biggest problem I see is motorists who don't indicate or cyclists riding on the footpaths.

Abso-fraggin-lutely.

Cyclists are permitted to ride on the pavement in the town where I live... it never used to be so... and they are so reckless and unthinking of pedestrians. In the news one girl even got killed by a cyclist on the pavement and several children have been hurt (these in different towns). In a road around the corner from where I live, the pavement has been completely given to being a cycle-way and pedestrians are not supposed to use it (and its a normal pavement with curb and everything)... we do, its the quickest route we can take to our nearest Tesco (not being car drivers). Strangely enough, the cyclists along there (very few) tend to be more careful with the pedestrians than the ones cycling on pedestrian pavements. Go figure! ???

Oh god I hate cyclists, bad ones. They get in your way and they don't move out of your way when you are coming. One time I left my doctor's appointment and I had to go to The Dollar Tree. Well I had to drive like ten miles per hour on a 35 mph zone because of a cyclist. I couldn't go around him because of upcoming traffic coming towards me and the guy just would not go on the side walk to let me by. There were a line of cars behind me and then all of a sudden, the guy behind me honked and they guy moved onto the sidewalk. I sped up and said "Thank you you stupid cyclist." Yeah it took him a few minutes to move aside and he knew I was behind him because he saw me.

I have read of cyclists getting hit by cars here because they weren't looking when they were riding or the driver got impatient and tried to go by them or they tried beating them to an intersection.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »

But that just tells you how often they buy new shoes. There could be poor people who do a little walking but don't replace their shoes for years and years. Of course there could also be people who bought their shoes yesterday but still don't need the chair. Looking at the shoes is a potentially false assumption.

Edit: lol, just finished reading the thread, should have kept my mouth shut cause Peter got there first.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
If you see someone in a chair that is only wearing socks or moccasins, it's a pointer to them needing the chair. Muscular dystrophy, MS, Spina Bifida and other problems can be hidden, but the ones who definitely need the chairs can't be denied them cos of the lazy buggers. The things cost mostly around $5000 or upward, so nobody is going to go out and buy one if they can help it, and the waiting list for replacements is quite long.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
If you see someone in a chair that is only wearing socks or moccasins, it's a pointer to them needing the chair. Muscular dystrophy, MS, Spina Bifida and other problems can be hidden, but the ones who definitely need the chairs can't be denied them cos of the lazy buggers. The things cost mostly around $5000 or upward, so nobody is going to go out and buy one if they can help it, and the waiting list for replacements is quite long.

I saw one trashed in a garbage pile.  In the US they run adds about them by companies that sell them saying they will get you one for free from the government.  I know some people need them and have no problem with that but it's been an explosion of them around here.  I also see many who could use the but don't have them.  Mostly I see severely overweight people in them

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 06:28:11 PM »
welcome to victim nation, people with handicapped plates on their cars are also a menace, they drive like they have a giant chip on their shoulder

some people can walk just fine, but are in bad pain every step and can't take it for long, so it's likely a pair of shoe would get worn at some point, juts might take many years.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
Mostly I see severely overweight people in them

Which raises the question of whether they're in the chair because they're overweight, or overweight because they ride around in a buggy when they could be getting some exercise.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »
Some people are so overweight they have troubles walking, so they need a power chair. The bigger you are, the harder it is to move.