Educational

Author Topic: The new scouge of America  (Read 614 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
The new scouge of America
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
It's these motorized wheel chairs that are everywhere on the streets,sidewalks and stores.   Nobody seems to watch what they do and think the world revolves abound them with their reckless driving and deserving attitude.  I figure less than half need them judging but the wear on their shoes.   And who pays or this we do all thouse adds on the TV saying they will get them for you for free from the government teat.  I have no problem with the people who need them but there are so many who don't >:(
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: The new scouge of America
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
Do they keep them in the back of their SUV's for greater range?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »
There is a differenc between the scooters and the actual wheelchairs. the scooters have the steering mechanism like handlebrs in front, while the chairs have a joystick on one arm. Some people use the scooters because they are lazy, granted; but most are fairly responsible. The biggest problem I see is motorists who don't indicate or cyclists riding on the footpaths.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
It's these motorized wheel chairs that are everywhere on the streets,sidewalks and stores.   Nobody seems to watch what they do and think the world revolves abound them with their reckless driving and deserving attitude.  I figure less than half need them judging but the wear on their shoes.   And who pays or this we do all thouse adds on the TV saying they will get them for you for free from the government teat.  I have no problem with the people who need them but there are so many who don't >:(

You cannot tell just by looking at people whether or not they actually need motorized wheelchairs.  Not all physical disabilities can be readily seen by an observer.

Maybe they have Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson's Disease or maybe they have some lung condition so that they can't get enough air if they walk more than a few steps.  I have known people with these problems before and a motorized wheelchair makes the difference for them between being stuck at home and being out enjoying their lives.

You are right that some of the people driving them need to be more careful to watch where they are going, though.

They often don't leave a lot of room for chairs like this in some stores that I have shopped in.  I had trouble just pushing a baby stroller through some of them, and that was frustrating for me. 

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
You cannot tell just by looking at people whether or not they actually need motorized wheelchairs.  Not all physical disabilities can be readily seen by an observer.

:plus: for sense.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
I saw an old man on some kind of motorised chair tangle with a kid on a bicycle once. They were both going for the same slim chance in traffic and the old man went at an angle while the kid was mostly airborne, jumping a curb at his best speed. There was a drainage dip right there and the kids always nail it, but usually without the feeble in their way.
The kid's back tire clipped the old man's handlebars and down they went, in front of oncoming traffic. I was about three cars back, waiting to turn, but I could see well what had happened. The kid's bike kept on going and a car ran over it without even stopping. Another car slammed on its brakes and stopped just in time to keep from hitting either of them.
They were both very lucky. The kid bounced up from his nastily roadrashed knee, but the old man just laid there in a daze.

Everybody just drives too fucking fast around here!

Unfortunately, there are places where those kind of chairs are not allowed on the sidewalks, so they end up driving down the streets at seven or eight miles per hour.

:-\
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
I'm more bothered by the ones with people
standing up on. Nothing that's allowed on sidewalks
ought to be able to move that quickly.

As to not being able to tell if someone needs
some device, I do know several people who
had handicap parking tags who absolutely
shouldn't have.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:21 AM »
Do they keep them in the back of their SUV's for greater range?

Yes :laugh:

You cannot tell just by looking at people whether or not they actually need motorized wheelchairs.

Well when they don't park in a handicap spot and walk a good distance to get in the store then use the stores one it's  a hint  that and excessive wear on there shoes.  It's not just that though they have  generally no manners I have almost been hit numerous times
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:29:11 AM »
SUV's and "Toorak Tractors" are often a menace themselves, especially when the owners act as if they own the road. Plus, when they are parked and another driver is trying to get out of a parallel or angle parking space; it's well-nigh impossible to see around them.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
I have seen a person park their car in a disabled bay and then run to catch the train. They probably didn't have an ACROD sticker either. >:(

There is a guy in my class who uses a motorised wheelchair most of the time but he uses a scooter when he goes grocery shopping because then he can carry more bags.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:04 AM »

These are NEW in America :o

They've been the scourge in the UK for a couple of decades now :grrr:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:59:16 AM »
The biggest problem I see is motorists who don't indicate or cyclists riding on the footpaths.

Abso-fraggin-lutely.

Cyclists are permitted to ride on the pavement in the town where I live... it never used to be so... and they are so reckless and unthinking of pedestrians. In the news one girl even got killed by a cyclist on the pavement and several children have been hurt (these in different towns). In a road around the corner from where I live, the pavement has been completely given to being a cycle-way and pedestrians are not supposed to use it (and its a normal pavement with curb and everything)... we do, its the quickest route we can take to our nearest Tesco (not being car drivers). Strangely enough, the cyclists along there (very few) tend to be more careful with the pedestrians than the ones cycling on pedestrian pavements. Go figure! ???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:02:51 AM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »
I thought this thread would be about Russell Brand for a sec:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:21 AM »
I thought this thread would be about Russell Brand for a sec:

I thought it was going to be about the Presidential hopefulls >:D

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »
The biggest problem I see is motorists who don't indicate or cyclists riding on the footpaths.

Abso-fraggin-lutely.

Signaling your intention in traffic is the same as committing treason by giving away controlled and classified information to the enemy, it seems.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.