Author Topic: Confession: I'm not really an aspie.  (Read 802 times)

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
Confession: I'm not really an aspie.
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »
Not according to my new lady friend. Her brother has Asperger's Syndrome.

I tend to agree - I have met other aspies IRL and I'm not quite as socially retarded, but close.

I'd say I have an extremely male, warped brain, a lot of aspie tendancies, and a love of internet forums as a social setting.

Would it piss anyone off* if I, a "normal" person, hung around? *Any more than usual that is.

This site has really helped me get a grip on my insecurities and has cheered me up when depressed, so thank-you all.

PS. everyone is somewhere on the spectrum.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Confession: I'm not really an aspie.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »
It does not make any difference at all to me what your "label" is or whether you even have one at all, Vodzy.

However, I have heard that if you meet one person with Asperger's Syndrome, then you have met that one person.

I mean, we all are different, so why shouldn't you be different from your lady friend's brother, even if you do share the same label?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
I've not been diagnosed either, and health proffesionals that I've suggested it to have been reluctant to do so.

Since discovering what AS is over the past year and a half, I've been able to distinguish my flaws and modify my behaviour to better fit in with groups of people. It's still tough though. 
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:42:21 AM »
Couldn't give a stuff, one way or another. We are all people, Vodz. Whether we are AS, NT, 'normal' or whatever. Frankly, the whole argument thing pisses me off no end. We all have traits, some are diagnosed, some aren't. Some have other associated conditions. It's a forum for people to chat on, it ain't Wankplanet.

Hell, I thought the funniest thing was when I said I wasn't autistic and Nocti said it was strange for me to be questioning my diagnosis or some shit like that. That's why it doesn't matter about all this 'labelling' shit. You are what you are.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:08:25 AM »
I've also met other aspies IRL at local support groups, and was also much less socially retarded than most of them (and less retarded generally), but I think that's just because the 'tarded ones are over-represented in support groups, and that more capable aspies tend to muddle along on their own.  I think it's also why these places are so male dominated; most female aspies just don't have severe enough social problems to justify attending them.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:28:55 AM »
It wouldn't piss me off any more than usual to have you stay and post here still, Vodzy. ;)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 05:02:57 AM »

I tend to agree - I have met other aspies IRL and I'm not quite as socially retarded, but close.

I'd say I have an extremely male, warped brain, a lot of aspie tendancies, and a love of internet forums as a social setting.

Would it piss anyone off* if I, a "normal" person, hung around? *Any more than usual that is.

This site has really helped me get a grip on my insecurities and has cheered me up when depressed, so thank-you all.

You can stay. For a small fee, of course. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:12:01 AM »
I've been hanging round here since January and I am NT  :zoinks:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 05:29:27 AM »
That is funny I read a lot of what other Aspies were writing on forums and thought diagnosis or not I probably wasn't likely on. I then met some in real life and realised I was the biggest Spazz. So I have since embraced my inner Spazz.
As to you staying here.....like we would want you gone!  :asthing:
Just no more soapy speeches because you will look like a wimp and then we will look like wimps when we thank you and shit...and I will have to send my pet Lion of Gestalt, Nocti after you.
"Give us a growl Nockers"
"Growl"
"Good Nockers"
Only lion I have seen that is bald.

In short stay. Be you and that is fine.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:34:01 AM »
When was that fucking court case again? I need to know so I can crack a victory bottle for when you win.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 05:41:06 AM »

According to Randy, so is he.

He said.......and I quote, "You Aspees  :wanker: magazines  :wanker: Jessica  :wanker: is my blowup doll  :wanker: I don't work because  :wanker::wanker: too much  :wanker: must eat more ginger........ :wanker: Oh dear God my dick just came off. I am going to faint....."
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:44:39 AM »
When was that fucking court case again? I need to know so I can crack a victory bottle for when you win.

Thanks mate, 23rd. Busy Month. I get my gall bladder out next Wednesday and have the kids for a week on next Friday.

It is funny. We made some pretty big calls because we were in a forum made to put shit on him. Even so, he will be lucky if he comes out of it without the Magistrate tearing him a new one. The more I look the more I find :D

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:01:59 AM »

I don't fit the Asperger's mold either, Vodzy. I'm not sure it matters to anyone, anyway.

We all have good days and bad days. On any of my good days I can be "normal" as anyone, even "fit in" and people at work seem to like me, but I am more likely to crawl into a hole on my bad days than try to stir up shit.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:14:16 AM »

You dont think the remarks come from her Daddy being in denial then? Some people develop rather effective coping strategies to deal with life, which would mask the effects. Whether than makes the person any less of an Aspie is debatable.

Blasted

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:36:08 AM »

According to Randy, so is he.

He said.......and I quote, "You Aspees  :wanker: magazines  :wanker: Jessica  :wanker: is my blowup doll  :wanker: I don't work because  :wanker::wanker: too much  :wanker: must eat more ginger........ :wanker: Oh dear God my dick just came off. I am going to faint....."

Oh noes.

I have just been compared to Randy  :o