Author Topic: Clare Danes to play Temple Grandin in movie!  (Read 966 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Clare Danes to play Temple Grandin in movie!
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:14 AM »
I don't get this - Clare Danes is a babe, I'd crack one off over her.  How can she play an ugly old woman?  People will think all autistic women are babes like Danes, when the truth is far more horrific.  She looks absolutely nothing like her, is this for real?

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
Re: Clare Danes to play Temple Grandin in movie!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:50:22 AM »
Because no one would go see the movie if you had to look at this for an hour and a half:

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:53:50 AM »
couldn't they just not put the camera on her face, but just have it on her pussy and ass, and have a voice talking about autism while we look at her pussy and ass...why arent I working for Paramount pictures?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »
They needed to hire a "real" actor, not some autistic spaz to make a movie. Movie sets are absolutely insane.

I had the opportunity to work in movie set building on a location shoot once (Pieces of the Heart Places in the Heart, something like that, with "Gidget") and even ME, with all my other experience, self-controls, blocking-skills, etc, had a rough time with all the distractions and I was easily overwhelmed by all the activity.

If I was an investor, backing a movie project, my money would go to the "good bet."

I knew little about Clare Danes, before I searched, I am always impressed when I see someone who has made it on their own, instead of being a second or third generation actor who owes most of their success to Daddy's or Mommy's previous successes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:00:26 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:20 AM »
couldn't they just not put the camera on her face, but just have it on her pussy and ass, and have a voice talking about autism while we look at her pussy and ass...why arent I working for Paramount pictures?

nevermind.

I see now.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:44:31 AM »
I don't get this - Clare Danes is a babe, I'd crack one off over her.  How can she play an ugly old woman?  People will think all autistic women are babes like Danes, when the truth is far more horrific.  She looks absolutely nothing like her, is this for real?

Well at least that's a more positive stereotype than people that think all autistic women look like the back end of a bus, totally false, I've seen hundreds of aspergers beauties.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
I used to watch "My So-Called Life". I've not seen her much since then.
batcat

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

I think that they look a little bit like each other, at least their eyes are similar.  Maybe Claire Danes will wear make-up or prosthetics to look more like Temple Grandin.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »

I think that they look a little bit like each other, at least their eyes are similar.  Maybe Claire Danes will wear make-up or prosthetics to look more like Temple Grandin.

and a head transplant.
batcat

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »

I don't think she will they picked her because she's attractive and want people to go see the movie.  Sure they will dress her down some but Temple Grandin has a more androgynous look than she can pull off
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
Seriously, if they can make Charlize Theron look this much like Aileen Wuornos, they could probably make Claire Danes look a lot more like Temple Grandin than she does.

You may be right that they won't even try, though.  Josh Hartnett looked nothing like Jerry Newport in "Mozart and the Whale," did he?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »
Josh Hartnett looked nothing like Jerry Newport in "Mozart and the Whale," did he?

I met Jerry Newport he was supposed to be younger than when I met him but I don't think Josh Hartnett will ever look like him even in 15-20 years
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »
I think that in this case, the actors look nothing like the real people they represent:

Mary and Jerry Newport:

Radha Mitchell and Josh Hartnett:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
I agree that, unfortunately, audiences don't tend to want to see movies with 'unattractive' people in them (American audiences are especially bad about this, I think).  I'd have to wait and see the movie, though, to see how important her appearance ends up being to the plot/point/authenticity of it.

Seriously, if they can make Charlize Theron look this much like Aileen Wuornos, they could probably make Claire Danes look a lot more like Temple Grandin than she does.

:laugh:  Yeah, that's got to be pretty much the gold standard for miracle-of-makeup (outside of scifi films).

I think that in this case, the actors look nothing like the real people they represent:

Mary and Jerry Newport:

Radha Mitchell and Josh Hartnett:

I knew what jerry Newport pretty much looked like when I saw M&TW, but I was willing to be lost in just sort of the allegorical story and not assume it would be like a home movie (especially since I had heard it wasn't totally true to life anyway).  Gotta admit though I wanted to laugh a little when Josh Hartnett was acting all worried about not being 'attractive' (I don't think they should have kept that line in there- there's suspension of disbelief and then there's forgetting to make the dialogue cohese with what's on screen).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
Hmm. I think her not wearing prosthetics will be the least of the problems with a film like that. Mark my words.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein