Author Topic: Sugar transport and weight gain  (Read 442 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Sugar transport and weight gain
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
Any sort of food intolerance, like gluten intolerance, will trigger inflammation in the GI tract and will reduce nutrient absorption. The amount of inflammation and hence the severity of malabsorption will depend on how severe the reaction is. It will also likely cause symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, etc.

So, Peter, you could also be gluten intolerant, especially if you do better on no-carb diets.

I would say mild versions of gluten intolerance are much more common than is thought. I think, as a protein, gluten has never been too kind on the human intestinal tract. And it really hasn't been in our diets for very long; only since we started farming.

It really is like glue.

Stick to rice, more protein.

Rice has arsenic:

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=07-P13-00012&segmentID=2

The only grain I eat regularly is oats.  It doesn't naturally contain gluten, but processed oats are often contaminated with wheat, since they're usually harvested and processed together.  I use Scottish oats, since wheat cultivation is less common here and the oats are said to have less contamination.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 08:11:06 AM »
Any sort of food intolerance, like gluten intolerance, will trigger inflammation in the GI tract and will reduce nutrient absorption. The amount of inflammation and hence the severity of malabsorption will depend on how severe the reaction is. It will also likely cause symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, etc.

So, Peter, you could also be gluten intolerant, especially if you do better on no-carb diets.

I would say mild versions of gluten intolerance are much more common than is thought. I think, as a protein, gluten has never been too kind on the human intestinal tract. And it really hasn't been in our diets for very long; only since we started farming.

It really is like glue.

Rice has arsenic:

The only grain I eat regularly is oats.  It doesn't naturally contain gluten, but processed oats are often contaminated with wheat, since they're usually harvested and processed together.  I use Scottish oats, since wheat cultivation is less common here and the oats are said to have less contamination.

Good thing I don't live in the American south then. ::)
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »

It really is like glue.

Rice has arsenic:

Good thing I don't live in the American south then. ::)

Rice is a major US export, and the problem isn't limited to US rice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/08/29/eababy129.xml
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »
Rice is grown in Australia, and Australia is pracically part of Asia, so I think my rice (local and imported) is safe.

Too bad about the Frog's rice :(
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."