Educational

Author Topic: Roadside monuments  (Read 375 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Roadside monuments
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
I am talking about those things people put up at the site of a deadly car accident like   Stuffed animals,flowers,crosses,photos ect. I know this is big in Central and South America and my theory is that it migrated here with the influx of people from those areas.  When I was younger I never saw this now they are everywhere and getting bigger and bigger.  Are they evrywhere or do I just live in an area that's prone to them?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

Re: Roadside monuments
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:41:06 PM »
They do the same in southern Europe. I've even seen some modest ones in Sweden.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »
They're everywhere. We have a couple on the way to the local store and a few others locally elsewhere.

Personally if I were to die in a wreck tomorrow this would the last way I would want someone to ever remember me. Just a little too creepy for me.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »
I am talking about those things people put up at the site of a deadly car accident like   Stuffed animals,flowers,crosses,photos ect. I know this is big in Central and South America and my theory is that it migrated here with the influx of people from those areas.  When I was younger I never saw this now they are everywhere and getting bigger and bigger.  Are they evrywhere or do I just live in an area that's prone to them?

It folllows with the Catholic faith, especiallly those who are mostly Christian, but cover just a litttle bit of Santeria in their beliefs, just to be safe. (I grew up around them)

Check it out, if you are not familiar.

You're right, though, It is a south of the border thing, mosstly.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:10:21 PM »
When I drove a truck I didn't think people had the right to turn my workplace into a graveyard. It was bad enough they had to kill themselves where I worked and sometimes the blood & guts was still being cleaned up as I finally went by, but to leave a marker of their stupidity is too much.

Would anyone want to live in a neighborhood that was full of monuments on front lawns to people who died from all sorts of things ?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »
When I drove a truck I didn't think people had the right to turn my workplace into a graveyard. It was bad enough they had to kill themselves where I worked and sometimes the blood & guts was still being cleaned up as I finally went by, but to leave a marker of their stupidity is too much.

Would anyone want to live in a neighborhood that was full of monuments on front lawns to people who died from all sorts of things ?

I do,, sort of.
Lots of people fly flags here, some even have little war memorials ni their front yards. Kind of the same thing, really.

A Santeria memorial marks the passing of a particulr soul, though. These people just want to shove war in everyone's face.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:22:39 PM »
it used to be people didn't want to trouble other folks with their own problems and darken other peoples day, now that we are a nation of victims it's full scale feel my pain, I'm in pain so everyone should be in pain and don't have the right to be happy if I'm not happy mentality.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
it used to be people didn't want to trouble other folks with their own problems and darken other peoples day, now that we are a nation of victims it's full scale feel my pain, I'm in pain so everyone should be in pain and don't have the right to be happy if I'm not happy mentality.

You must have more empathy than I do or some shit..

Honestly, Iseee these little things as pitiful, but they don't get me down and every one I go past,, reminds me how glad I am to be healthy as a horse.

My grandfather used to say that the best thing you can do in the face of death is ride off from it. He was right.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

You must have more empathy than I do or some shit..

Honestly, Iseee these little things as pitiful, but they don't get me down and every one I go past,, reminds me how glad I am to be healthy as a horse.

My grandfather used to say that the best thing you can do in the face of death is ride off from it. He was right.

empathy doesn't fit my feeling towards people throwing their pain in everyone elses faces, it's more like they are dickheads for trying to spread their misery around. Most people have enough in their own lives without dickheads saying feel their freaken pain also.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
But if you didn't feel their pain, then there would be no reason for the memorials to bother you. Hence, a function of empathy.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »
I have a hard time feeling empathy when I see a roadside memorial... I inevitably get it into my head (despite that I don't know what happened) of my thinking the person killed was doing something stupid enough to get into an accident in the first place.

You know, drinking and driving, talking on the cell phone, TEXTING on the cell phone, bending down to pick up something, driving with your knees and not your hands... that sort of thing.

--In which case I'd rather see something on the memorial site that can act as a lessen to other would-be-eejits and warn them not to do the same. Not a "remember this person who died here", etc.
Flibbit.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
It happens here all the time.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »

They are all over the place here, but we have a fairly large number of first or second generation immigrants from much further south.

Stuffed animals are usually for the place where a child died, I think.  There is one roadside memorial here where a child died crossing a busy street, so now there is a pedestrian crosswalk near there.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:26:58 AM »
I see them where I live but they are usually very modest, usually just a bunch of flowers, most likely after very recent deaths or anniversaries.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »
This may seem heartless, but to me, its the same as littering unless its on your own property.  And usually, the bigger the f-up, the bigger the display.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:14:06 PM by driftingblizzard »
Feeling neutral is very normal.