Author Topic: Could OCD be the result of inositol deficiency?  (Read 810 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Could OCD be the result of inositol deficiency?
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »
from wikipedia:

Inositol (of which the most prominent naturally occurring form is myo-inositol, cis-1,2,3,5-trans-4,6-cyclohexanehexol) is a carbocyclic polyol that plays an important role as the structural basis for a number of secondary messengers in eukaryotic cells, including inositol phosphates, phosphatidylinositol (PI) and phosphatidylinositol phosphate (PIP) lipids. It is found in many foods, in particular, in cereals with high bran content, nuts, beans, and fruit, especially cantaloupe melons and oranges. Inositol is not considered a vitamin itself because it can be synthesised by the body.

Other naturally occurring isomers (though in minimal quantities) are scyllo-, chiro-, muco-, and neo-inositol. Other possible isomers are allo-, epi-, and cis-inositol.

Myo-Inositol was classified as a member of the vitamin B complex (often referred to as vitamin B8), but was found to be synthesized by the human body (thus, declassifying it as a vitamin).

Patients suffering from clinical depression generally have decreased levels of inositol in their cerebrospinal fluid.[6]

Some preliminary results of studies on inositol supplements show promising results for people suffering from problems such as bulimia, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and unipolar and bipolar depression.[6]

Myo-inositol has been found in a single double-blind study to significantly reduce the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) with effectiveness equal to SSRIs and virtually without side-effects.[7] In a double-blind, controlled trial, myo-inositol was superior to fluvoxamine for decreasing the number of panic attacks and had fewer side effects.[8] A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of depressed patients showed that a high dose of inositol (12 grams daily) resulted in significant improvement of symptoms, with no changes noted in liver, kidney, or hematological function.

6 )  Nick, Gina L. (2004). "Inositol as a treatment for psychiatric disorders: a scientific evaluation of its clinical effectiveness". Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients (October). Retrieved on 2008-05-24. 
7 )  Fux M, Levine J, Aviv A, Belmaker RH (1996). "Inositol treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder". American Journal of Psychiatry 153 (9): 1219–21. PMID 8780431. 
8 )  Palatnik A, Frolov K, Fux M, Benjamin J (2001). "Double-blind, controlled, crossover trial of inositol versus fluvoxamine for the treatment of panic disorder". Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 21 (3): 335–339. doi:10.1097/00004714-200106000-00014. PMID 11386498. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:53:15 AM by wandrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Could OCD be the result of inositol deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:28:01 AM »
I don't have OCD but I have been depressed lately. I've been drinking 1-2 cans of Red Bull a day for the past two days, mostly to keep up my energy level. I've also noticed that my mood is improved, as well as my attention span and energy level. How much is due to the synergistic interactions between inositol, caffeine, sugar and taurine etc. is unknown. How much is psychological: also unknown. The experiment continues....
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:02 AM »
cool.  ta for this, wandrew - now i have an excuse to swig red bull and behave outrageously (cos i never do usually, of course).

:pinocchio:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
cool.  ta for this, wandrew - now i have an excuse to swig red bull and behave outrageously (cos i never do usually, of course).

Of course not. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »

Of course not. :laugh:

tut.  i'm always extremely well behaved around you, i'll have you know.

ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »
I don't have OCD but I have been depressed lately. I've been drinking 1-2 cans of Red Bull a day for the past two days, mostly to keep up my energy level. I've also noticed that my mood is improved, as well as my attention span and energy level. How much is due to the synergistic interactions between inositol, caffeine, sugar and taurine etc. is unknown. How much is psychological: also unknown. The experiment continues....

I noticed the same after I went on ritalin 20mg twice a day.  Before that I was self medicating with caffeine tablets....NoDoz 100mg and Vivarin 200mg and Exedrin tablets. 

ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

Makes me want to swig Red Bull as much as Gareth on AFF does!   :laugh:

Hey, if we ever meet irl, we'll have to toast each other with Red Bull and let the world beware!   :evillaugh:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 02:18:35 AM »

Hey, if we ever meet irl, we'll have to toast each other with Red Bull and let the world beware!   :evillaugh:

can you imagine?!

"yes you MUST listen to everything gordon lightfoot has ever recorded it's really really fab and i'm sure you'd love it just let me get this cd out and you can listen to my chosen highlights there's only about three hours of them and whoops i seem to be annoying this police officer..."

:laugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »

can you imagine?!

"yes you MUST listen to everything gordon lightfoot has ever recorded it's really really fab and i'm sure you'd love it just let me get this cd out and you can listen to my chosen highlights there's only about three hours of them and whoops i seem to be annoying this police officer..."

:laugh:

Be afraid world, be very afraid!   ;)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:56:07 AM »

I noticed the same after I went on ritalin 20mg twice a day.  Before that I was self medicating with caffeine tablets....NoDoz 100mg and Vivarin 200mg and Exedrin tablets. 

Had very bad experience on Ritalin as child--"zombie" effect instead of paradoxical effect. Much prefer Red Bull. About the same pricewise per dose, too.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 05:22:23 AM »
Ritalin had the "zombie effect" on me too. But Dexamphetamine doesn't. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »

Had very bad experience on Ritalin as child--"zombie" effect instead of paradoxical effect. Much prefer Red Bull. About the same pricewise per dose, too.

Yes, I have heard that effect, a good reason why they start off people with small doses and instructions to stop immediately for adverse reactions.  If that happened to me, I'd be drinking red bull too.