Educational

Author Topic: Rare love  (Read 506 times)

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Rare love
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
To all the gamers over here, was anyone a rare fan?

IMO Rare had some fantastic games, but looking at their new games.. they just aren't worth buying a 360 for.

Banjo-kazooie was what shook it for me, my favourite game of all time (apart from the zelda series), it is just so long ago now. I was 14 and had terrible anxiety and OCD. Sometimes when my nose bleeds now, it reminds me of banjo kazooie, as it was always in a mess at that time of my life.

Anyway, opinions on rare?

PS: Does anyone know if you can DL Rare games for the wii?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Rare love
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/015/015334.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/886/886432p1.html

New Banjo Kazooie game for Xbox360 by Rare.   Viva Pinata was a good game btw.  Perfect Dark Zero was mediocre and Kameo was just ok.

:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
I love banjo-kazooie, I play all the time on my N64 emulator *cough* *cough*

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:57:19 AM »
New BK looks crap. Won't be getting it.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day, awesome game, I still play it when I get a chance. Banjo is great too, love the old cartridge games.

thepeaguy

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
Love is a rare thing for Fiona.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Yeah, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are very popular games in this house with the kids.

Was and still am a big fan of Donkey Kong Country games. Also played Goldeneye to death in the day.

But it seems that all the talent that Rare had has up and left. All that's left is the name.

thepeaguy

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
What makes Goldeneye so different from other FPS?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »
It sucks and you can't jump.   Really I don't get it, such a grossly overrated game.   Quake was a 1000x better game for the PC.   The goons in Goldeneye wouldn't even shoot back and you could kill them on the stairs.   Maybe it was that console idiots had their first chance at 4 player vs mode in a FPS.   I played Quake and Doom online way before I ever bought Goldeneye for N64.   

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »
New BK looks crap. Won't be getting it.
It will be just as good as the original probably lol.   Online multiplayer too.    The Conker remake had pretty good online multiplayer as well.   I guess you just hate MS, as Rare's games haven't gotten any worse.   They were going downhill before MS bought them imo.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »
It sucks and you can't jump.   Really I don't get it, such a grossly overrated game.   Quake was a 1000x better game for the PC.   The goons in Goldeneye wouldn't even shoot back and you could kill them on the stairs.   Maybe it was that console idiots had their first chance at 4 player vs mode in a FPS.   I played Quake and Doom online way before I ever bought Goldeneye for N64.   

Oh congrats for you. Yeah how easy is it to get 3-4+ nerds to come over and LAN up and get some gaming going. How many hours are wasted setting this shit up, working out network problems, complaining with the one guy who has to use some certain program that fucks everything up but blames everyone else and not himself. I mean you can spend 12 hours only to play 2-3 hours of gaming and there is always gonna be some guy who complains it isnt fair or some other type of lame shit.

With Goldeneye you only needed one TV and one Console and 4 controllers. Which were already set up and working beforehand. Pick up a controller and start playing.

Was good at parties etc. The rule we usually went by when there were more than 4 people who wanted to play was that the winner of a deathmatch got bumped out. that way everyone got a chance.

Proximity mines ruled, and if you were one of the few select who could, knives would own.

The thing is, with lan games, its just you and your computer, with console its everyone in the same room close together staring at the same screen, which was much more social.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »
Split screen is inferior and is only good for cheating (idiots who like to look at the other person's screen).    LAN games are stupid.   I played Quake over the net and DWANGO was available for DOOM at the time which wasn't LAN either.   You couldn't do 8 player Goldeneye, but you could do 8 player internet Quake.   That had grappling hooks and all sorts of fun mods as well.   I really didn't get into LAN gaming until much later, say around Quake 2 and Starcraft.   My dad had a cable modem way back when the original Quake was released.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »

Oh congrats for you. Yeah how easy is it to get 3-4+ nerds to come over and LAN up and get some gaming going. How many hours are wasted setting this shit up, working out network problems, complaining with the one guy who has to use some certain program that fucks everything up but blames everyone else and not himself. I mean you can spend 12 hours only to play 2-3 hours of gaming and there is always gonna be some guy who complains it isnt fair or some other type of lame shit.

With Goldeneye you only needed one TV and one Console and 4 controllers. Which were already set up and working beforehand. Pick up a controller and start playing.

Was good at parties etc. The rule we usually went by when there were more than 4 people who wanted to play was that the winner of a deathmatch got bumped out. that way everyone got a chance.

Proximity mines ruled, and if you were one of the few select who could, knives would own.

The thing is, with lan games, its just you and your computer, with console its everyone in the same room close together staring at the same screen, which was much more social.
:lol:
batcat

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »
In zelda you can't jump either.

Great game.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:04:50 AM »
In zelda you can't jump either.

Great game.
Normally you can't, but when it is called for you use gameplay conventions that replace jumping (hookshot etc).   The second Zelda you could jump btw, as it was essential to some of the better attacks in the game.

Goldeneye is a FPS, completely different game genre.   When trying to portray the third dimension correctly, there should be more to vertical movement than just going up stairs.