Educational

Author Topic: the "Thanks a Whole Fucking Bunch!" award  (Read 1162 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Re: the "Thanks a Whole Fucking Bunch!" award
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 02:04:38 AM »
Examples:

Lisa Nowak, the astronaut.  Wore a diaper while trying to kill somebody.

I went to high school with Lisa Nowak (nee Caputo). She was a nice, smart human being when I knew her. DK what the fuck happened, but she has all my sympathy. You think it's easy being a female astronaut? Get a sex change, join NASA and find out.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »
Ask Christa McAuliffe... If you can find what's left of her, that is.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
I went to high school with Lisa Nowak (nee Caputo). She was a nice, smart human being when I knew her. DK what the fuck happened, but she has all my sympathy. You think it's easy being a female astronaut? Get a sex change, join NASA and find out.

I'll pass on the sex change, thank you.  However, if NASA offered me a job, I'd at least consider it (as an engineer or IT guy or something, but definitely not as an astronaut).

Shortly after the news happened, I remember reading an article in Wired that suggested there's some fucked-up shit that goes on among astronaut trainees and current astronauts, when there are no outsiders watching.  For example, it mentioned two female astronauts who got caught having lesbian sex in a dumpster outside one of the buildings.  Kind of like with a lot of other highly-respected groups (e.g. in the military, in academia, etc.), my guess is that if you did a thorough investigation, you'd find out about hazing rituals and other nasty things.  If anything fucked her up, it was probably that.  (Like many others, I grew up with dreams of going into space.  That article made me glad I never even came close to fulfilling those dreams.)

ozymandias

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »

I'll pass on the sex change, thank you.  However, if NASA offered me a job, I'd at least consider it (as an engineer or IT guy or something, but definitely not as an astronaut).

Shortly after the news happened, I remember reading an article in Wired that suggested there's some fucked-up shit that goes on among astronaut trainees and current astronauts, when there are no outsiders watching.  For example, it mentioned two female astronauts who got caught having lesbian sex in a dumpster outside one of the buildings.  Kind of like with a lot of other highly-respected groups (e.g. in the military, in academia, etc.), my guess is that if you did a thorough investigation, you'd find out about hazing rituals and other nasty things.  If anything fucked her up, it was probably that.  (Like many others, I grew up with dreams of going into space.  That article made me glad I never even came close to fulfilling those dreams.)

I heard on some article about astronaut training, that to get into and thru the program.  You have to be a really driven individual, not just type personality, but type AAA.  So you put a bunch of uber competetive, highly driven, highly intelligent people together in competition for highly coveted positions.  Add a dose of extremely high testosterone, male chauvanism, sleep deprivation, etc..................anybody would have the potential to be fucked up sooner or later.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »
Makes me wonder with the mission to Mars whether they will all kill each other on the way there.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

ozymandias

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 05:41:18 AM »
It does make one wonder.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »
Makes me wonder with the mission to Mars whether they will all kill each other on the way there.

More like engaging in the wildest sex actually. It's a long trip, got to do something fun and exercise muscles at the same time.  :eyebrows: Maybe it's part of the secret training... By the way I wonder if a couple have actually had zero-G sex yet, it's possible to go on those zero-G flights, so surely someone's done it by now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:02:08 AM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

ozymandias

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 07:39:25 PM »

More like engaging in the wildest sex actually. It's a long trip, got to do something fun and exercise muscles at the same time.  :eyebrows: Maybe it's part of the secret training... By the way I wonder if a couple have actually had zero-G sex yet, it's possible to go on those zero-G flights, so surely someone's done it by now.

Interesting question!  A bunch of driven, competetive type AAA personalities cooped up in an automobile sized capsule, no privacy, no secrets, intimacy may reach new levels of interesting.

Add to that, the idea of NO rescue or hope of rescue possible if things go wrong, exposure to all possible kinds of radiation, zero G's for longer than can possibly be tested, a mixed gender crew, etc, etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda..............quite frankly, until someone comes up with a near light speed type of engine.  A manned mars mission is not something that is likely in our lifetime!  IMHO

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »
Ozy: Energizer bunnies, don't you mean. They'd fit in quite well as AAA personalities, and if those personalities were wired backward, they'd keep coming and coming and coming.......