Educational

Author Topic: Jobs and Education  (Read 453 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Jobs and Education
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
New round of questions kiddies! Yaaaaaaay!

1. If you have a job/career, do you enjoy it?

2. If not, why did you choose it, and what made you sway from the job you've always wanted.

3. If you do enjoy your job/career, how old were you when you decided to pursue that line of work?

4. With the exception of basic reading/math/communication skills, how much has school education grades k-12 helped you advance in your job/career?

5. What subjects do you think schools should concentrate a little more on?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

thepeaguy

Re: Jobs and Education
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »
Friar Tuck never worked in her life. She's too high on meds and ramen to find a job.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Friar Tuck never worked in her life. She's too high on meds and ramen to find a job.

Incorrect(at least about the first part).
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
1 I am a self employed home improvement contractor specializing in weatherization I enjoy it at times the more complex and difficult the job to do the better

2 For the most part I like it

3 It chose me.  It was my summer job in collage that I was never able to break away from because of lack of jobs in my field and monetary considerations

4  Not sure

5  They need to give more training in choosing a career and basic business skills
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »

2. If not, why did you choose it, and what made you sway from the job you've always wanted.

3. If you do enjoy your job/career, how old were you when you decided to pursue that line of work?

4. With the exception of basic reading/math/communication skills, how much has school education grades k-12 helped you advance in your job/career?

1.  As of right now I'm still in school, but I enjoy that and the career path it's taking me on.
2.  Only drawback is I will be making shite money my whole life.
3.  Thirteen (I'm 22 now)
4.  I have absolutely no idea.  I think my schooling was terrible but that was partly my fault- I didn't exactly go to class on a regular basis.
5.  I absilutely agree with Parts.  There should be more career trainnig instead of turning kids into obnoxious walking encyclopedias full of useless rote knowledge.  IMO, being "well-read," "well-educated," "cultured," or "well-rounded" are ridiculous goals that people pursue with ridiculous vigour, and I think that's probably in large part because of the profit to be made in valuing it.  Adding insult to injury is the fact that students don't seem to be taught how to self-motivate or self monitor (like, even basic study skills), or how to think critically, logically, or scientifically- not only making all the knowledge we cram down students' throats even more useless than it would be anyway, but also helping to keep them from seeing it.

If you're trying to prove that eduication grades k-12 is worthless, I'm the wrong person to ask- I honestly think a liberal arts degree that gets you a Bachelor's can be worthless (and very, very often is- or worse than worthless, because having spent all that time and money on a worthless degree makes people feel compelled to try and use it, even if finding a job that has nothing to do with it but pays the bills makes much more sense).  What I wrote is pretty much my opinion of colleges.  Hell, there are some (prolly plenty of) graduate degrees that mean jack diddly shit.

You ever want to really upset or piss off someone who's midway through a worthless degree, ask them what they're going to do with it.  Sometimes they'll have an answer, but a lot of the time it's "live in a box" (verbatim from a useless-major pride facebook group).  I've had what started off as a very calm and simple online discussion about why there was value ot "being a well-rounded person" with an English major who coudln't get past the idea that being "well-rounded" was valuable and thus coudln't explain why he thought it was (which I was legitimately asking in an attempt to understand in a way that made sense to me)- unfortunately, because it was online I didn't realize until he told me that I was making him cry.  Whoops.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:42:56 PM »

Yes, I do enjoy it.

Actually, while I do enjoy my line of work, as well as choosing to be in it, I had other options. Money, and not moving to Chile, were the decisive factors.

/thinks...

Around 23 or 24...

Lots, even though I'll readily admit that my training as an astronomer hasn't been very helpful in most of it.

Maths, languages, history...

The first because people can't manage even the most basic arithmetic; the second because while I wasn't born into neither the language I use here, nor the one I use in everyday life, I still get annoyed; the third because if you know the why's, you can avoid them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »

I liked driving a truck, I hated the trucking industry.

the government ruined the job, deregulation

was still in high school when I got a taste of the real world outside the CT. suburbs.
I couldn't picture myself ever doing the samething decade after decade, same time, same day, same people, same shit.

deadend job a 3rd grade education could handle

financial skills, like how the real world works, labor issues

there is little chance it will ever happen because schools are run by people that live paycheck to paycheck and who are protected from being fired, all they do is have to exsist at their job for x number of years and collect a pension check.

you want to make money, exploit labor or hire somebody to exploit labor for you by being an investor.

Doctor,Dentist, Lawyer are all exploiting labor, the labor does all the prep work, clean up work, paper work and they take the biggest cut of the revenue and give their labor a little slice. They are business owners who hold the license to conduct business and have to preform some of the work themselves, so it's a hands on business they can't hire other people to do becauise anyone else who is a Doctor,Dentist or Lawyer has no real reason to work for somebody else and let somebody else skim off part of their pay. So a professional license has value as l0ong as the field isn't flooded with people with licenses like trucking. The license needs to be hard to get and in demand in the market place.

Parts has a business license so he could hire labor to work under his license if he wanted to.The up people with money have in feilds that don't require years of schooling is having the equipment and marketing skills to sell the service. Wanda the welfare queen can't finance the equipment to get into office cleaning because she is poor, so people with the financial means can whore her labor out by providing her with the equipment to clean offices & homes and skim off her labor, but keep her poor so she can never afford to buy her own equipment and steal the customers she services.

so no matter what you get into, you want to be the guy at the top of the food chain or as close to it as you can get or you can take a job working for the MAN and wheel and deal on the side to not be 100% at the mercy of the MAN. Investments, rental units, side jobs, but get something going on the side even if you are the MAN so you aren't 100% dependant on whatever you get into.

Most people build no net worth besides their personal assets like their house and all the crap in it and toys.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »
Yes, though I'm not where I want to be yet. Currently I'm doing lighting for animated films, and what I want to be doing is video game (RPG) modeling, texturing, and possibly design.

About 9, when Myst came out and I decided Robin Miller had my dream job.

1550 SAT scores helped get me the full-tuition scholarship that let me go to the business-minded art college that got me the contacts, technical skills, fine art skills, and therapy that I needed to get my first job in the CG industry.

Advanced classes in all subject areas and greater segregation by ability. More options for electives. More freedom for independent study. Less rote learning. More group project management skills.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline tiredofit

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »
I actually have been to school for about 4 differnet careers - what a joke.   But I did get my computer programming degree and I do that now.  I totally enjoy it - did that sound NT saying totally  :eyebrows:

thepeaguy

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »

Incorrect(at least about the first part).

Want a badge?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
1550 SAT scores helped get me the full-tuition scholarship that let me go to the business-minded art college that got me the contacts, technical skills, fine art skills, and therapy that I needed to get my first job in the CG industry.
Lol.

thepeaguy

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »
Lol.

Why is that funny?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
Lol.

Why is that funny?
The tack-on of "and therapy" is, I am assuming, correct, but it still works as a punchline, too, IMO.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
1.  No, not really.  I don't want to slit my wrists, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it.

2.  It chose me... it was the best job I could get with my education and skills.

3. N/A

4.  Very little.

5.  I agree with Parts.  When I graduated high school, I had no idea what I wanted to, but I went to college anyway.  I was halfway to a degree in horticulture because I wanted to move to Amsterdam and grow pot for a living.  Then, I quit smoking pot and that career path seemed pretty damn stupid.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
Lol.

Why is that funny?
The tack-on of "and therapy" is, I am assuming, correct, but it still works as a punchline, too, IMO.

:P I didn't see the humor when I wrote it, but in retrospect, there is something rather ironic about it.  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.