Educational

Author Topic: Aaaaahhhh!....Oh...wait....  (Read 606 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Aaaaahhhh!....Oh...wait....
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
I've been stung five times by bees, so I'm very wary of of them. Imagine my terror when a black and yellow two inch big-un made it's way to me. I was freaked out because
1. I have never seen a bee that big and
2. I couldn't identify the damn thing. It wasn't a yellow jacket, or a bumblebee.
After I calmed down, I googled it, and now I'm happy that it may not have been a bee at all.

Hummingbird moth(accounts for the size, buzzing, and weird wings. Or I could be lying to myself, and it really was a huge bee.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Aaaaahhhh!....Oh...wait....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

We have something like those here. They are kind of cool to watch.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

Once I cautiously confirm it's name from a distance, I'll probably watch it too.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
I don't like being stung by bees either, but that is very cool looking.

I'm glad it's a hummingbird moth instead of a bee.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
I remember once in kindergarten I was walking home. I passed a sign I hit and got stung by bee on My elbow. That really hurt. My mother some unknown reason put finger nail polish on it.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
I remember once in kindergarten I was walking home. I passed a sign I hit and got stung by bee on My elbow. That really hurt. My mother some unknown reason put finger nail polish on it.

Well...at least she didn't put windex on it.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
I am deathly allergic to bees, but bee products, such as bee pollen, don't bother me.
I do attack bee's nests without regard, and have never had a problem.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »

Once I cautiously confirm it's name from a distance, I'll probably watch it too.
Their wings beat at a much lower frequency than that of the largest bumblebees and it is a consistent tone, more like a hummingbird's wingbeat, rather than the raspy sound of a bee's wingbeat.

My daughter was first stung by a bee when she was eighteen months old and she still remembers that first time. It was a little unnerving to me, because my wife has a bad reaction and I did not yet know if my daughter had inherited her mom's sensitivity to stings and bites.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »

I was photographing in an elementary school, once, when a dumbass teacher held up the hand of a screaming child. She was asking one of the other teachers what to do about beestings, "... should I remove the bee? I've heard that they leave something behind when you do."
The stupid bitch was holding this child's hand so that she could not do anything while this yellow jacket wasp was continuously stinging the poor child over and over. Wasps do not injure themselves when they sting as bees do. They have no barbs on their stingers and can reposition and sting repeatedly until they run out of venom.

I rushed over and grabbed the wasp off the little girl's hand and told the teacher to get her to the nurse right away. Told her to tell the nurse, it was a wasp, not a bee! Stupid, idiotic bitch was in charge of children and did not even know the difference between a bee and a wasp.

:grrr:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:45:21 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »

I was photographing in an elementary school, once, when a dumbass teacher held up the hand of a screaming child. She was asking one of the other teachers what to do about beestings, "... should I remove the bee? I've heard that they leave something behind when you do."
The stupid bitch was holding this child's hand so that she could not do anything while this yellow jacket wasp was continuously stinging the poor child over and over. Wasps do not injure themselves when they sting as bees do. They have no barbs on their stingers and can reposition and sting repeatedly until they run out of venom.

I rushed over and grabbed the wasp off the little girl's hand and told the teacher to get her to the nurse right away. Told her to tell the nurse, it was a wasp, not a bee! Stupid, idiotic bitch was in charge of children and did not even know the difference between a bee and a wasp.

:grrr:

I can understand how someone could be confused about a wasp's stinger, but the woman wasn't even smart enough to get the kid away from it?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »

Exactly!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
Oneof my dogs recently got stung in the back yard and is now afraid of all bugs running away tail between her legs when ever one comes near and refuses to go out at times
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
I think it looks cool.What an awesome sight to see. I have been over the insect fear since I was 13. I don't like bugs that live in colonies (the ones that invade your personal space and dominate your house) I don't mind bees. I did get stung 17 times on my back though but I toughen up THERE JUST BUGS.
my sisinlaw hates all bugs even pretty lady bugs she says they look lie Reises pieces.
Park.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »
I had a bee fly up my nose and sting me once.  That was very unplesant.  I was riding on the back of my brother's motorcycle and I started screaming for him to take me home while I tried to blow the bee out of my nose.  When I got home, I asked my mother for some meat tenderizer, which contains an enzyme that breaks down the bee venom, which is a protein.  Then I stuck meat tenderizer up my nose.  My whole face still swelled anyway, though.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:27 AM »
Two things I really hate are being stung by bees and falling down stairs.

The one sure way I found to deal with the pain from both is to get really, REALLY pissed off. Jump up and down, shout every swear word I can think of. I think the mechanism at work there is that adrenalin starts flowing and acts as an antagonist to the histamine generated by the bee sting/fall. I've noticed on several occasions that if I get really mad after I've been stung it doesn't hurt as much.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.