Educational

Author Topic: Brain scan  (Read 483 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Brain scan
« on: May 23, 2008, 05:59:59 AM »
I'm going to get my brain scanned on Wednesday as part of a study into asperger's, and they say that when the study is finished, I'll get some software that'll let me view the MRI scans of my brain.  I was supposed to have done it already, but there was some confusion about what date I was to be poked and prodded on; mum got in touch with them and sorted it out, and now they're interested in talking to her too, since they're thinking about including interviews with parents in the study.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Brain scan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »
I as supposed to be part of a study like that and was very disappointed when I could not make it to Hartford where the tests were being done on any of they dates they had open  You have to let us know how it turns out
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:46:31 AM »
Sweet!  I've always wanted a 3d model of my brain.  I'd put it on my desk.

"What's that?"

"Oh, that...  it's my brain."
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
I first got involved with this study a couple of years ago.  A couple guys came to my home and put me through some pattern recognition tests on their laptop, which were designed to test my ability to pick out non-random movement in a field of random static (it was very difficult and I did very poorly at it), and they gave me a CD with recordings of what I'd hear inside the MRI machine (since it's loud, a confined space and scares some people), but I didn't hear anything from them after that until a few weeks ago.  I figured the study had been cancelled for some reason, so it's nice to know that it's back on.  Apparently I'm the first AS person the head of the study has met.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 01:24:46 AM »
I think you're lucky, Peter. I would like to take part in a study like that. MRIs can be hard to deal with if you don't like the banging noise they make or find it hard to stay completely still.

I have had a SPECT scan done of my brain years ago.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »
I first got involved with this study a couple of years ago.  A couple guys came to my home and put me through some pattern recognition tests on their laptop, which were designed to test my ability to pick out non-random movement in a field of random static (it was very difficult and I did very poorly at it), and they gave me a CD with recordings of what I'd hear inside the MRI machine (since it's loud, a confined space and scares some people), but I didn't hear anything from them after that until a few weeks ago.  I figured the study had been cancelled for some reason, so it's nice to know that it's back on.  Apparently I'm the first AS person the head of the study has met.

I would have thought somebody running a study on AS would have worked with people with AS before developing a whole method of what to study?

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:40:35 AM »

I would have thought somebody running a study on AS would have worked with people with AS before developing a whole method of what to study?
I say you take advantage of that fact... shake his foot when you're introduced and speak only to his crotch. 
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

thepeaguy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »
I'm going to get my brain scanned on Wednesday as part of a study into asperger's, and they say that when the study is finished, I'll get some software that'll let me view the MRI scans of my brain.  I was supposed to have done it already, but there was some confusion about what date I was to be poked and prodded on; mum got in touch with them and sorted it out, and now they're interested in talking to her too, since they're thinking about including interviews with parents in the study.

Omg, a potential C4 documentary!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:18 AM »
I say you take advantage of that fact... shake his foot when you're introduced and speak only to his crotch. 
:lol:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

Kind of an AS thing for him to do, isn't it?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
I went to the uni today, but I didn't get scanned; I just did some preliminary tests.  They're studying motion perception in people with AS, so one of the tests I did was looking at a 15 point computer-animated walker and determining which direction it was walking in, with the points being variously distorted so that in some scenes the dot that represented the knee could be up around the shoulder and so on.  I'd done a longer version of it when I first got involved with the study, as well as another motion perception test that had wire-frame figures either standing from a sitting position or lifting something up, where the goal was to distinguish between the two actions.  After that, I did a brief IQ test, and then the researcher guy showed me the brain imaging software they used, highlighted the parts of the brain they were interested in and explained the study to me.  They're looking for more subjects, so if anyone fancies a trip to Glasgow, there's probably a detailed scan of your brain in it for you.

Incidentally, Waggy's really exhausted now.  Mum and her boyfriend gave me a lift in and we took Waggy along so that she wouldn't be left alone, but when I got out of the car and they drove off, Waggy got really upset and whined the whole way back, so I'm told, and then ran up and down the stairs looking for me when she got home and kept whining until she'd tired herself out.  She's not used to me going off without her.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
I was invited to two studies like that one, both in the UK. They backed off when they realised that I live in Sweden.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:13:31 PM »
yoi cpould have flown over.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
I would have, if they had paid me. I did ask.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:57:21 AM »
I would have, if they had paid me. I did ask.

They were going to give me travel money to Hartford about an hour away I was so pissed I couldn't do any of the dates
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw