Author Topic: Mass spectrometers  (Read 556 times)

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
Re: Mass spectrometers
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
Sure beats my old physics classroom.  I was at school one day back in the '80s, when it was pouring down rain outside.  When I showed up for physics class, it was pouring down rain inside.  My physics teacher was about to have a stroke, rushing to save equipment.  You could watch the ceiling tiles disintegrate and fall as they became saturated with rainwater.  All because a notorious southern state didn't see education as worth fucking investing in.  As a result, the roof went a long time without repair, and then that happened.

Roof!  You had a Roof!   When I went to school, all the clocks, in all the classrooms ran off of air pressure.   Each minute, every minute, the system would send a puff of air to all the clocks, in all the school and you'd hear a little psss.  every minute of every hour.   All day.
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
This is getting to be like a certain Monty Python sketch.

Oh, we used to dream about pneumatic clocks.  I'd often be late for class because somebody in the previous class forgot it was their turn to flip over the hourglass.  And for being late, forget paddles.  They'd punish us for being late, by throwing us down the stairs, and then they'd put syrup all over us and tie us up next to an ant hill.

All that after walking ten miles in the snow, barefoot.  There'd be broken glass just under the snow from where drunken rednecks had smashed empty beer bottles the night before.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/77937

Oh, and that big black guy named Bubba that everyone in prison is afraid of?  Before he went to prison, he was in my PE class.  And they made us take showers.  Every day, we'd draw straws to see who had to stand next to Bubba in the showers.

:P

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:11:35 PM by garmonbozia »

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 03:35:07 AM »
:LMAO: :LMAO:

Oh, we used to dream about pneumatic clocks.  I'd often be late for class because somebody in the previous class forgot it was their turn to flip over the hourglass.  And for being late, forget paddles.  They'd punish us for being late, by throwing us down the stairs, and then they'd put syrup all over us and tie us up next to an ant hill.

All that after walking ten miles in the snow, barefoot.  There'd be broken glass just under the snow from where drunken rednecks had smashed empty beer bottles the night before.

Oh, and that big black guy named Bubba that everyone in prison is afraid of?  Before he went to prison, he was in my PE class.  And they made us take showers.  Every day, we'd draw straws to see who had to stand next to Bubba in the showers.

Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »
:LMAO:   :plus: garmonbozia!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
nope - bald-faced lying.  :laugh:

I wondered if you might have been when you said that it was three miles long, because I thought the longest linear particle accelerator in the world was SLAC and it's only two miles long.

I wish we would have had one at the uni. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »

+
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
Some of the equipment I used in aquatic biology and ecology was as old as I was then some older.  I carried a conductivity meter five miles that was the size of a large suit case and weight what felt like a ton by the end of the hike
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:54 AM »
Some of the equipment I used in aquatic biology and ecology was as old as I was then some older.  I carried a conductivity meter five miles that was the size of a large suit case and weight what felt like a ton by the end of the hike

What was so fancy about it that it had to be so huge and heavy?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 05:14:14 AM »

What was so fancy about it that it had to be so huge and heavy?

It was made before integrated circuits so the electronics where big and clunky with large gel cell batteries.  I don't remember if it was tubes or early transistors   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw