Educational

Author Topic: Obsessions....  (Read 1029 times)

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
Obsessions....
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »
Does anyone have an obsession that they don't like?  I've always been curious about that. 

My obsession (which I DO like) is old abandoned buildings.  The older, more abandoned, the better.   I like to go in them and try to find clues to who or what lived there and how.  How was their life, happy, bitter, tragic, fanciful, deluded, expectant of something that is never to be, etc.  Also, factories, barns, institutions, cabins, ... hmmm, cabins.   The first building I ever explored was an old logging cabin, built just for the lumberjacks while they cut the forest wood.  When they were done, they left it.  They even left a giant mill saw, maybe 4 feet in diameter but that's off a childhood memory.  Since then (maybe before, can't remember)  I've been drawn to going in old abandoned places, where people used to be but aren't now. 

Here's the problem.  I don't want to get arrested for trespassing.   So it's kind of frustrating when I know of a place and want to go there for the day, but then don't out of fear.   
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Obsessions....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:40:38 PM »
I have that same obsession and the same fear of being arrested for trespassing and in fact have when in collage  :-[
My sons also have this obsession  and one had to do fifty hours community slavery for it too when he was caught
The police in my town have a bug up their ass about this sort of stuff.
I agree it's a very annoying obsession most of the time but in my job I do get to go into many places that would be otherwise off limits

Being in construction I have an obsession about how things are made and finding flaws.  My wife really hates it and at times I wish I could just not notice things like the broken ceiling tiles in stores and having to count them

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
I used to be obsessed with capital punishments and executions. I always felt guilty about it. Everyday I would go to the dealthpenaltyinfo site and see if anyone had been executed that day and by what method.

I remember in 2006, I was coming home from Spokane and I pull off the freeway to this old elementary school that shut down in 1997 and I park my car here and climb inside through a broken window. I knew it was dangerous but I did it anyway because I had always been curious about the place. The whole place was torn apart inside and it looked like people had come inside and wrecked it, it even looked like homeless people lived there too because I saw clothes and sleeping bags, and blankets.
The school was pretty old and I think it was shut down because there weren't enough students or it didn't make any sense to have that school if there was another school not far away so they figured, why not have them go there, so shut the school down baby.

I also have fascinations about old buildings but I don't think I am obsessed with them. I always want to know what the buildings used to look like before they were updated inside of them. I am also fascinated by abandon buildings too and always want to know when did they shut down, what did they used to be before they shut down, why did they shut down?
Last June when I was coming back home to Oregon, I was on my way to Spokane once again and I stop in a town in Idaho just to see an abandon building. I couldn't figure out what it used to be. I stopped and looked at it, drove around it trying to get details of the building.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
www.abandoned-britain.com/

this was the first web site of this type that I've found.  there are actually a lot of sites like this one.

specifically this one.      http://www.abandoned-britain.com/PP/canehill/1.htm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:10:51 AM by driftingblizzard »

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »
I used to be obsessed with capital punishments and executions. I always felt guilty about it. Everyday I would go to the dealthpenaltyinfo site and see if anyone had been executed that day and by what method.

I remember in 2006, I was coming home from Spokane and I pull off the freeway to this old elementary school that shut down in 1997 and I park my car here and climb inside through a broken window. I knew it was dangerous but I did it anyway because I had always been curious about the place. The whole place was torn apart inside and it looked like people had come inside and wrecked it, it even looked like homeless people lived there too because I saw clothes and sleeping bags, and blankets.
The school was pretty old and I think it was shut down because there weren't enough students or it didn't make any sense to have that school if there was another school not far away so they figured, why not have them go there, so shut the school down baby.

I also have fascinations about old buildings but I don't think I am obsessed with them. I always want to know what the buildings used to look like before they were updated inside of them. I am also fascinated by abandon buildings too and always want to know when did they shut down, what did they used to be before they shut down, why did they shut down?
Last June when I was coming back home to Oregon, I was on my way to Spokane once again and I stop in a town in Idaho just to see an abandon building. I couldn't figure out what it used to be. I stopped and looked at it, drove around it trying to get details of the building.

Then PLEASE, DO NOT GO TO     "mydeathspace.com"  its disturbing and highly addicitve.       remember, don't go to "mydeathspace.com"....

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
Highly addictive? Because...?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »
Went to a party at a fancy restaurant/reception hall all I could think about was that the floor wasn't level , had soft spots, and that they should have hired professional painters  and if they had they should shoot them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:22 AM »

The curiousity of who died that wasn't me, or maybe the fascination of the many ways death can arrive.  Probably mostly its seeing the inner workings of their inter-relationships that you really don't get from a simple obituary....?

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 05:21:15 AM »
Does anyone have an obsession that they don't like?  I've always been curious about that. 

My obsession (which I DO like) is old abandoned buildings.  The older, more abandoned, the better.   I like to go in them and try to find clues to who or what lived there and how.  How was their life, happy, bitter, tragic, fanciful, deluded, expectant of something that is never to be, etc.  Also, factories, barns, institutions, cabins, ... hmmm, cabins.   The first building I ever explored was an old logging cabin, built just for the lumberjacks while they cut the forest wood.  When they were done, they left it.  They even left a giant mill saw, maybe 4 feet in diameter but that's off a childhood memory.  Since then (maybe before, can't remember)  I've been drawn to going in old abandoned places, where people used to be but aren't now. 

Here's the problem.  I don't want to get arrested for trespassing.   So it's kind of frustrating when I know of a place and want to go there for the day, but then don't out of fear.   

Hyde Park Barracks in Sydney is about as historical as we get here;

http://www.hht.net.au/news/guidebooks/hyde_park_barracks_museum

To visit it is eerie.  You think of the convicts....whose names and crimes they have listed inside.   Like stealing a loaf of bread.  Imagine.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:50:46 AM »

To visit it is eerie.  You think of the convicts....whose names and crimes they have listed inside.   Like stealing a loaf of bread.  Imagine.

Do you ever get to wander about the place all by yourself?  To be in complete silence until you hear some strange sound, like a pencil falling off a desk, or a piece of plaster hitting the floor in some distant part of the building?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 06:51:21 AM »

I hate being obsessed with things that scare me, like crowds and snakes.

For some reason I am drawn to crowds, but I quickly become fearful if I am "in" one.

I can't resist touching snakes, either. I like the coolness and strength of them, but it's not particularly healthy to handle wild ones. Hard to stop, though.

I also love musical instruments, but collecting them takes up a lot of space. The one who suffers from that obsession is my wife, though.

Old bridges, too. I always have to stop and study the structure, take a pic. Can't help it!

Not really any compulsions that I don't like though. It's probably a good thing that I am not wealthy. I would have ridiculous amounts of dangerous woodworking tools and would probably hurt myself making things with them. Seen too many woodworkers missing digits to feel comfortable with that obsession.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »

Yep, I have this one big time!    :green:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »
When I go to Spokane again, I want to take a look at Robert Lee Yates house. The two Spokaners who wrote it were naive enough to say his resident address. Of course he doesn't live there anymore, nor his family. They moved back to Walla Walla after he went to prison. Their Spokane home was put up for an auction but the bid didn't go up very high.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

The curiousity of who died that wasn't me, or maybe the fascination of the many ways death can arrive.  Probably mostly its seeing the inner workings of their inter-relationships that you really don't get from a simple obituary....?

/shrugs

I don't care, really. I guess it's not one of my obsessions. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »

Do you ever get to wander about the place all by yourself?  To be in complete silence until you hear some strange sound, like a pencil falling off a desk, or a piece of plaster hitting the floor in some distant part of the building?

They have recreated on one floor how close the hammocks would have been.  Just incredible how many men they squashed into one confined space.  Then downstairs they have displays of the architechtural digs they did and you wonder whose possessions they were, like a little pipe or a fork or a cracked piece of china.  They also dug up some of the old rat tunnels, and found items that the rats had taken in there for nesting, like scraps of material etc. 

Some rooms are just quiet and you can go in them and get a sense of the place and that opressive feeling. 

I also love visiting the Rocks in Syney, which again used to be for the underclass and was shut off completely in some plague.  Ironically, it's of course one of the coolest places to be and until recently had one of Australia's most expensive restaurants in the precinct.

They have ghost tours there and some of the buildings are so quaint and tiny, it's amazing. People were midgets back then.....well, my size anyway!