Author Topic: Cliques and the spirit of Intensity  (Read 8032 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Cliques and the spirit of Intensity
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
Freedom of speech, IMO, also includes the right to CHOOSE what I want to read and when.    And having to sort thru endless posts of circle jerking mocking debates or utter bullshit like Happeh, postperson and others I won't mention is not my cup of tea.  People can still post what they want, but, it's MY choice to read or not to read.  And lets not kid ourselves, I tried to not read every piece posted by shit stirrers, it's damn fucking hard.  If I want to read what someone I'm ignoring posted, all I have to do is click on "show" or, read what someone has quoted from them.  If people don't like what I post then they can ignore me!  Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing!

Telemarketers also complained about the "Do not call list".  Claiming it infringed on their "free speech",  ::)  WTF, if I don't want to talk to someone or be disturbed in my OWN home why should I be forced to endure that crap.

That's a really good analogy, Ozymandias.

:plus:

True.  I personally would not choose to use the ignore button, but I see that as more as something in me....ie; it gives me a chance to examine why exactly is this person getting under my skin and to choose my battles.  I don't mind being challenged on my opinions, but when someone has a particular agenda to be an asshole for assholes sake, rather than have an adult debate and see the other person's point of view, I can't really be bothered.

Good point and you make a different opinion in your own way.  We need to digest other's opinions in our own way.........the ignore function lets us do so.  It gives us time to look and ponder formulate a response instead of going off half cocked in response

Now I accept that some may think thats "dishonest", but, IMHO, thats also "real life".   The appropriate quote that comes to mind is, "Oh Lord, let my words be tender and just, for tomorrow I may have to eat them."  --anonymous  (that may or may not be the exact quote, but, it's what I intended to convey)

Hence why I said it was my own personal reason for not using the ignore button...at this point.

Who knows, we now have the option I may use it.  But my thoughts were just my personal slant on why I don't see the need to use it.  In fact, telling someone that I had put them on ignore would be more an example of giving someone the power to upset me, therefore I had to put them on ignore.

Do understand the OC side though.  For sure.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:24 PM »
I agree with your analysis, Phlexor.  That's the way that I see Intensity as well.

I think that it's impossible to make Intensity a safe haven for all those people who have been rejected by other fora, simultaneously.

I'm not convinced of this yet. Probably it's impossible for all people, but I say it's possible for more people than most others think.

This think this place is only a safe haven for people who feel they have to speak their mind and have trouble keeping their mouth shut in other forums where its a rule.

(not that  I'm talking about myself or anything, am I Ozy)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »
This think this place is only a safe haven for people who feel they have to speak their mind and have trouble keeping their mouth shut in other forums where its a rule.

Actually that's not true, it's a safe haven for me and I'm quite capable of keeping my mouth shut when it's to my advantage.  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2008, 10:36:43 PM »
Look for where Humans have gone mad and the very laws of physics are undone!   :zombiefuck:

Oh, so you mean my place during school holiday

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
I don't think so. A post in a thread is much less intrusive than a phone call to your house. But it's a matter of opinion and like I said, this isn't my war.

You make a good point and part of my fault is my OC behavior in reading every word.  Even now, I click on the "show" button for colondull and ginseng boy, just to keep up on what the fuck they're saying.  BUT, thats my choice and my problem..........the "IGNORE" function is just a little more control of my OC behavior than I have otherwise.

I may not use the ignore mod myself, but I support you and your lifestyle choice of using it  :green:

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »

Actually that's not true, it's a safe haven for me and I'm quite capable of keeping my mouth shut when it's to my advantage.  :P

Umm, after you said it wasnt true, I was kinda hoping that you'd have some evidence to back that up, what followed just confused me  :zoinks:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2008, 02:52:27 AM »
Proof by exception. You made a blanket statement ("this place is only a safe haven for people who...") and I pointed out an example which didn't fall under that, rendering the blanket statement false.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »
I know that Happeh was before you joined here, but he was a guy who thought that we all were on the spectrum because we wanked too much.
Makes me wonder if Randy thinks we are all on the spectrum because we don't wank enough.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
i use the ignore button so i don't have to wade through shit to get to posts i want to read.

i've stopped using it on cal because he doesn't post here anymore.

ozymandias

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »
I agree with your analysis, Phlexor.  That's the way that I see Intensity as well.

I think that it's impossible to make Intensity a safe haven for all those people who have been rejected by other fora, simultaneously.

I'm not convinced of this yet. Probably it's impossible for all people, but I say it's possible for more people than most others think.

Comparing this place to AI is like comparing Apples and Oranges.   :laugh:  AI is a support forum with some leeway for "spirited" debate.  I just follow the guidelines set by Crucibelle.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
Proof by exception. You made a blanket statement ("this place is only a safe haven for people who...") and I pointed out an example which didn't fall under that, rendering the blanket statement false.

Ah but I prefaced it by the word 'think', implying that it was only my opinion I was stating, not a fact.  ;)

Does that make sense?

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
I know that Happeh was before you joined here, but he was a guy who thought that we all were on the spectrum because we wanked too much.
Makes me wonder if Randy thinks we are all on the spectrum because we don't wank enough.

Speak for yourself, but I think I wank enough. I just don't feel I have to post about it after every time like some ppl around here.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »

Comparing this place to AI is like comparing Apples and Oranges.   :laugh:  AI is a support forum with some leeway for "spirited" debate.  I just follow the guidelines set by Crucibelle.

Yeah, but there were a few nut jobs there that were starting to drive me crazy. And I think that's what you get when those sort of people are protected. But each place has its use and I feel more uselful here, if that says anything.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Speak for yourself, but I think I wank enough. I just don't feel I have to post about it after every time like some ppl around here.
:-\ I was trying to make a joke. "trying" heh. Oh well never mind.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
:-\ I was trying to make a joke. "trying" heh. Oh well never mind.

Maybe Phlexor was too.

;)