Author Topic: Kids and school  (Read 269 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Kids and school
« on: April 14, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
I have been working on a school the last few months and they have something there that disturbs me.  They have an after and before school program some kids get there before 7am and don't leave until 6pm.  If that wasn't bad enough this week is vacation so I can work during the day and the kids are still there and I am told they are there all summer too.  I can understand it to a point but it's like all year schooling for these kids.  I can't imagine I hated school could not wait to get away to be stuck there so much would have been hell. I was one of those kids with a little too much freedom as my big sisters where supposed to watch me but basically let me do and go what ever I wanted from an early age not always a good thing though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Sophgay

Re: Kids and school
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »
Kids should have time to do other things outside of school
7-6 is too long IMO

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
poor people version of send the kids away to school, they can't afford one of those fancy prep schools like choat or cheshire academy where the kids live on campus

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »
But why have kids then Status Symbol?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »
poor people version of send the kids away to school, they can't afford one of those fancy prep schools like choat or cheshire academy where the kids live on campus

Hi Johnny.

:welcome:

Poor and middle class people often have to work long hours to put a roof over their kids' heads as well food for their table, so they need child care for their kids and the before and after school programs provide that for them.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »
A lot of kids are severely and chronically sleep-deprived as a result of early school starts that conflict with their natural sleeping patterns.  Teenagers in particular tend to most alert in the evening and night, and it's not a matter of refusing to go to bed; they're biologically programmed to be awake at those times and getting up at 6am to get to school for a 7am start 5 days of the week is as damaging to their health as it would be if someone woke up an adult with what's considered a 'normal' sleeping pattern at 2am for 5 days of the week every week and demanded they go to work.  A person's natural waking and sleeping times vary through their life, with the time they fall asleep and wake up getting gradually later and later through their teens and then reversing and gradually becoming earlier again as they go into their 20's and 30's.  Different individuals are also shifted earlier or later, with some people waking early and being active in the mornings and some people waking later and being active in the evenings, but school shoe-horns everyone into an extreme early-morning schedule.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?