Author Topic: Kids being placed with sex offenders  (Read 632 times)

Blasted

Kids being placed with sex offenders
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
The state social services agency was moving Wednesday to shut down nine homes used for child day care and foster care after an audit found registered sex offenders living there, in violation of state law.

The revelation came after state auditors compared the addresses of 75,000 licensed facilities, including foster family homes and in-home day care centers, with the state's database of registered sex offenders.

California Department of Social Services Director John Wagner said the audit found that the addresses of 49 sex offenders matched those of 46 child care facilities.

The department was able to confirm nine of the cases during inspections of all 46 facilities that were completed Monday, Wagner said.

Three license suspensions already are in effect: two in Los Angeles and one in San Bernardino. One offender had been convicted of sexual battery, and the other two had been convicted of oral copulation with a minor, said Larry Bolton, the department's chief lawyer.

Two foster children were removed Wednesday by Los Angeles authorities responding to one of the cases, Wagner said. In another case, a sex offender was living in a home with three children and two grandchildren.

Investigators are interviewing the children who had contact in each of the homes or day care centers.

"We haven't finished the interviews, but no indication yet" that any child was actually abused, Bolton said.

The department would not immediately give details on the other six pending suspensions.

The Bureau of State Audits asked for the department's database of licensed facilities in November, but the social services agency did not learn of the matches with sex offenders until last week, Wagner said. The audit is due for release Tuesday.

Of the 46 address matches, 25 were in Los Angeles, eight in the Central Valley, seven in the San Francisco Bay area, four in San Diego and one each in San Bernardino and Sacramento.

In most cases, the department's inspectors could not verify that a sex offender was living at the address or found that the offender was there but children were not present.

It is a violation of state law for day care and foster care licensees not to report the names of any adults living in or associated with their facilities, Wagner said.

The Department of Social Services needs that information to conduct background checks on the license holder and others living at the home or child care center. Had the department discovered that a resident was a sex offender, the license would have been denied or suspended, Wagner said.

Three of the 49 sex offenders are on parole, but none was found to be living in improper housing, said Gordon Hinkle, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

One of the three was living in an elder care facility that occasionally might have taken in foster care children. That person was moved Wednesday as a precaution, Hinkle said.

State Auditor Elaine Howle declined to comment about the Department of Social Services action Wednesday.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Kids being placed with sex offenders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
I see it doesn't mention what the sex offenders were convicted of.  Sex offenders are a diverse bunch; they're not all child-raping monsters.

Federal law and the laws of all 50 states now require adults and some juveniles convicted of a vast array of crimes that involve sexual conduct to register their addresses and other information with law enforcement agencies. Because registration requirements are overbroad in scope and overlong in duration, there are more than 600,000 registered sex offenders in the US, including individuals convicted of non-violent crimes such as consensual sex between teenagers, prostitution, and public urination, as well as those who committed their only offenses decades ago.

Not all sex offenders in Iowa are listed on this site, so these might be some of the 'most dangerous' ones only:

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/sho.php?id=60552237&L_isonums=&sub=&lastone=
Name:      BOLAND-DUARTE,CHRISTINE LYNN     
Risk Assessment
Assessment Not Required by Law
County:    Johnson
Address:     730 3rd Ave
Iowa City, Ia 52245
Sex:    Female
Race:    White
Height:    5'06"
Weight:    175 Lbs
Birthday:    May 16, 1964
Hair:    RED
Eyes:    Blue
Markings:    Glasses
Some examples of sex offenders:
Date   05/12/2006
Conviction   Sexual Exploitation By Therapist
County   Johnson
Victim Age   Adult (18+)
Victim Gender   Female

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/sho.php?id=971177576&L_isonums=&sub=&lastone=
Name:      ADLER,VIOLET LAVAUGHN     
Risk Assessment
County:    Story
Address:     5615 W Lincoln Way,apt 31
Ames, Ia 50014
Height:    5'01"
Weight:    165 Lbs
Birthday:    Mar 10, 1978
Hair:    Blonde
Eyes:    Brown
Date   06/25/1997
Conviction   Exhibit Obscene Material To Minor
County   Polk
Victim Age   0 - 13
Victim Gender   Female

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/sho.php?id=1199602&L_isonums=&sub=&lastone=
Name:      CHANTRILL,CAROL SUE     
Risk Assessment
County:    Story
Address:     4708 Steinbeck,apt U 206
Ames, Ia 50014
Height:    5'00"
Weight:    129 Lbs
Birthday:    Jul 06, 1956
Hair:    Brown
Eyes:    Brown
Markings:    Discolored Lknee
Scar On Forehead
Glasses
Date   11/27/2000
Conviction   Solicitation
County   Boone
Victim Age   14 - 17
Victim Gender   Male

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/sho.php?id=60973458&L_isonums=&sub=&lastone=
Name:      CHRISTIANSEN,LOREEN MARIE     
Risk Assessment
Low
County:    Page
Address:     2446 State Hwy 2
Clarinda, Ia 51632
Height:    5'09"
Weight:    185 Lbs
Birthday:    Aug 23, 1969
Hair:    Blonde
Eyes:    Blue
Markings:    Glasses
Date   08/07/2006
Conviction   Sexual Miscond With A An Offender
County   Page
Victim Age   Adult (18+)
Victim Gender   Male
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
women are just as capable of all that crap.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:21:31 AM »
women are just as capable of all that crap.

Crap like fucking the hot guy they give therapy sessions too or that sexy prisoner at the prison they work in?  I'd think most people were capable of that.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:06:24 AM »
crap like raping someone.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 06:14:35 AM »
crap like raping someone.

But rapists comprise a minority of sex offenders.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »
what are the rest then?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 06:42:57 AM »
what are the rest then?

Teenagers who had sex with other teenagers and got caught, therapists who fucked their adult patients, teachers who fucked students, streakers, at least one guy who got drunk and peed in the street, anyone who had anal or oral sex and got caught in certain states and so on.  To quote my previous quote:

Federal law and the laws of all 50 states now require adults and some juveniles convicted of a vast array of crimes that involve sexual conduct to register their addresses and other information with law enforcement agencies. Because registration requirements are overbroad in scope and overlong in duration, there are more than 600,000 registered sex offenders in the US, including individuals convicted of non-violent crimes such as consensual sex between teenagers, prostitution, and public urination, as well as those who committed their only offenses decades ago.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 06:45:24 AM »
well some of them are just plain rapists.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 07:15:29 AM »
well some of them are just plain rapists.

Of course some sex offenders are rapists.  Without detailed information, however, you can't tell if the sex offenders at these foster homes are sex offenders because they raped someone or because they peed in public one night after the pubs closed and they'd had a few too many.  The way sex offender laws are at the moment, many sex offenders are perfectly normal people who had the misfortune to be caught for technically illegal but still perfectly normal and harmless things.  Zero tolerance has done nothing but hide the rapists behind a smokescreen of ordinary people who got caught up in a merciless legal machine.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:31:16 AM »
i agree. :P
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar