Educational

Author Topic: Study: Video Game Addiction Similar to Aspergers  (Read 231 times)

GalileoAce

Study: Video Game Addiction Similar to Aspergers
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:57:13 PM »
Posted by James Brightman on Thursday, April 03, 2008 @ GameDaily

New research out of the U.K. suggests that people who are essentially addicted to video games display similar traits as those individuals who have Aspergers syndrome.

At the ongoing British Psychological Society's Annual Conference in Dublin this week new research is being presented on the effects of computer game addiction. According to Dr. John Charlton of the University of Bolton and Ian Danforth of Whitman College, USA, gamers who appear to be addicted to playing computer/video games show some of the same personality traits as people with Aspergers syndrome (a variety of high functioning autism).

For the study, 391 computer game players (86 percent male) were questioned. The researchers looked at relationships between addiction, "high engagement" and personality. "They found that the closer the players got to addiction the more likely they were to display negative personality traits. And that as players showed more signs of addiction they were increasingly characterized by three personality traits that would normally be associated with Aspergers... These were neuroticism, and lack of extraversion and agreeableness," the report stated.

Charlton and Danforth don't believe these game "addicts" are classifiable as having Aspergers syndrome but they do "share some of the same characteristics because they find it easier to empathize with computer systems than other people."

"The thinking in the field is that there is a scale along which people, even those considered to be 'normal', can be placed upon. And that people such as engineers, mathematicians and computer scientists are nearer to the non-empathizing, systemizing, end of the spectrum, with people with Aspergers syndrome even further along again," said Charlton. "Our research supports the idea that people who are heavily involved in game playing may be nearer to autistic spectrum disorders than people who have no interest in gaming."

Does that mean I'm twice Aspergers? :P

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Study: Video Game Addiction Similar to Aspergers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
I was kinda wondering the same.
I would suspect that we are MORE
likely to be addicted, is all

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 12:28:46 AM »
assholes. we are not made of negative traits and a lack of empathy and agreeableness. it's just that NTs can't take it when we tell it how it fucking is with no happybunny bullshit injections. >:(

and everybody gets crabby when they are bothered when they are playing a video game.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »
Computers are making everyone into aspies.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
Yes soon we will rise up and rule the world >:D
 :respect:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »
If any of you fucktards get between me and my computer games I'LL FUCKING CUT YOU!!!

I'm gonna go eat some strawberries now, not really.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:52:04 AM by Lord Phlexor »

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 05:09:19 AM »
Interesting article.

I'm gonna go play Half-life 2.
Park.