Author Topic: Oath of allegiance  (Read 652 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Oath of allegiance
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=530293&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

Right now, there's talk of making children in the UK swear an oath of allegiance to the queen when they leave school.  Here's what I wrote to the BBC about it:

What is the purpose of this oath of allegiance?  If it's to drum up support for an increasingly fascistic and unpopular regime, you can't go far wrong by adopting the words of some of the world's master manipulators of public thought and sentiment.  Take the Hitler oath, for example:

"I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to Adolf Hitler, Führer of the German Reich and people, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfil my official duties, so help me God."

With a few minor modifications, it's perfect for the new UK police state:

"I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom and British people, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfil my official duties, so help me God."

By having children regularly recite this oath, we can raise an entire generation who're unquestioningly dedicated to queen and country.  I suggest starting a youth organisation to further develop a sense of national pride; perhaps call it 'The Elizabeth Youth'.  It's not quite as catchy as 'The Hitler Youth', but one works with what one has.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Sophgay

Re: Oath of allegiance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
wtf
there's no way i'd let my (non-existent) kids  swear an oath of allegiance to the queen
I'm not a monarchist ffs
We should have abolished the monarchy years ago

What the fuck does she do and why should my kids be swearing an oath of allegiance to her?

Sod that

And "national pride" is a load of crap IMO
I don't see why I should be proud of the fact that I just happened to be born into one shithole instead of another?
It's not some kind of achievement or something you have to work towards, therefore why should I be proud of it?

I thought Gordon Brown had a bit more sense than this

Former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith recommends that teenagers join in ceremonies akin to those devised for new immigrants, during which they would be asked to pledge their support to Queen and country.

"Lord" fucking Goldsmith needs to stfu
I would never pledge my support to an institution I would rather see abolished completely
And the "Lord Goldsmith" BS is another thing
We should abolish the House of Lords while we're at it, create an entirely new second chamber with some form of proportional representation and absolutely none of this "lord" bullshit

Former Attorney General Lord Goldsmith recommends that teenagers join in ceremonies akin to those devised for new immigrants, during which they would be asked to pledge their support to Queen and country.
Exactly
And not just the parents; there's no way in hell I'd have sworn an oath of allegiance to the queen when I was 16

Lord Goldsmith said: "I am in favour of people swearing an oath to the head of state. It would mark the passage between being a student of citizenship and an active citizen.
Yes... an unelected head of state  ::)

This is all a load of crap
What happened to the NHS day?
That would be a brilliant idea - this one just needs throwing out straight away

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
I remember, when I was in 8th grade, we pledged allegiance to the flag and I always substituted the Peoples Republic of China over the United States of America because I thought pledging to a flag was ridiculous.

Sophgay

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
it is
i dunno about the american flag, but the st george's flag is for the World Cup now as far as i'm concerned :P  none of this "support for queen and country"

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:44:53 PM »
I used to hate having to pledge allegiance to the flag of the US, I would stand up but not say it

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »
i notice they say "when they leave school".  teachers would have a bloody epi about it.  ::)

duncvis

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »
three words: will never happen. you can't legislate patriotism.  ::)

Teejay

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=530293&in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

Right now, there's talk of making children in the UK swear an oath of allegiance to the queen when they leave school.  Here's what I wrote to the BBC about it:

What is the purpose of this oath of allegiance?  If it's to drum up support for an increasingly fascistic and unpopular regime, you can't go far wrong by adopting the words of some of the world's master manipulators of public thought and sentiment.  Take the Hitler oath, for example:

"I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to Adolf Hitler, Führer of the German Reich and people, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfil my official duties, so help me God."

With a few minor modifications, it's perfect for the new UK police state:

"I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom and British people, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfil my official duties, so help me God."

By having children regularly recite this oath, we can raise an entire generation who're unquestioningly dedicated to queen and country.  I suggest starting a youth organisation to further develop a sense of national pride; perhaps call it 'The Elizabeth Youth'.  It's not quite as catchy as 'The Hitler Youth', but one works with what one has.

Australian school students used to pledge allegiance to the Queen at school, as late as the 1960's I think. A British pledge of allegiance I think just would just not take off.

Australia also has a national day, it is really the day when Sydney was founded January 26th Australia Day. I think why we do not celebrate Federation Day because it is on the 1st of January.

Sophgay

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »
I don't think it would take off either
Too many kids just wouldn't do it
The younger ones probably would, but by the time they're 16, they've made up their own minds about things like this, are most young people are becoming increasingly secular and republican (not in the american way) IMO.

when i was in high school, we had assemblies every day except thursdays, and almost every day they said a prayer at the end of it

most of the kids in year 7 put their heads down and went along with it anyway, following what they thought they were supposed to do, but as they went through year 8, year 9, year 10, less and less people bothered, because none of them believe it anyway. by the time you got to year 11 and sixth formers, hardly anyone paid any notice to the prayers

i know that's religion, and not patriotism, but the same thing would apply. i doubt many would go along with this kind of crap by the time they're 16

richard

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
europe is already fucked by the eu. im shure stupid shit like that is only going to get worse

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:58:35 AM »
Like anything like this would ever have any effect :wanker:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »
The pistols fucking rock. And had a
HELL of an effect.  :finger:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »
The pistols fucking rock. And had a
HELL of an effect.  :finger:

I wasn't talking about them
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
europe is already fucked by the eu. im shure stupid shit like that is only going to get worse

Yeah, a bunch of spread out states, all with their own ideas of how they want to live and be left alone, coming under the rule of some form of centralized judiciary, legislative and economic rule is probably not a good bet.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.