Educational

Author Topic: I air-dusted my apartment.  (Read 288 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
I air-dusted my apartment.
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
I did my usual Saturday-morning cleaning, but this time I decided everything could use a little dusting.

I've got these three HEPA air purifiers that I recently bought at Big Lots.  (That's a chain store that specializes in refurbishments and closeouts.)  They've got this radio-control thing that adjusts their fan speed depending on how much particulate matter passes through its sensor.

I've also got a two-gallon air compressor that I bought at Wallyworld a few years ago.  With something to knock the dust airborne and something to catch it out of the air, there's no better way to get rid of the dust.  So I fired up the compressor, attached the 25-foot hose, and started shooting compressed air on stuff, such as the slatted door to the a/c closet, the tops of books on shelves, the tops of doorjambs, the powerstrips under my computer desk, and so on.

All that took about an hour, during which time I turned the air purifiers up to full-blast so as to catch as much dust as possible quickly before it resettles.  After that, I vacuumed up all the dust bunnies and emptied the compressor.  It had collected quite a bit of moisture in its tank and I found that the drain valve is stuck so I couldn't drain it.  (Cheap piece of shit!)  Not all dust is easily blown away with compressed air, so some surfaces still needed dusting in the traditional manner.  The place feels a hell of a lot cleaner now.

richard

Re: I air-dusted my apartment.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »
cool. i checked out my apartment today that i will be living in on the 1st son, $365 a month. cant beat that motherfuckin price i'll have a little over $500 a month to spend on MYSELF and life well really is good.  :orly:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
$365 a month, not bad.  I wish that was all I had to pay.  But around here, any place that charges that little probably means  sleep with one eye open and a gun under your pillow.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »
cool. i checked out my apartment today that i will be living in on the 1st son, $365 a month. cant beat that motherfuckin price i'll have a little over $500 a month to spend on MYSELF and life well really is good.  :orly:

Eh, you're sharing living space though. I did a quad living
arrangement, and it was kinda expensive, compared to
what I could find by just renting a room in a house. Well, at
least for the total space. I need to be alone though.

richard

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
yarr, well this ones got all the utilities included with it also. and it seems like its fairly spacious and i dont mind sharing a common living area and kitchen, because thats basically what i do now. and i'm also guessing its so cheap because it right next to the train tracks and a train comes through atleast once an hour so its very noisey but i will just get used to it i'd imagine

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »
Utilities helps. I live within walking distance of the
airport, and right off a major thoroughfare. I rather
LIKE the noise. It drowns out my neighbors.  :zoinks:

richard

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »
Oh my! how are you liking phoenix dude? you wont be liking it in june july and august dude :laugh:
there supose to be getting a light rail tain system there i think, im shure public transportation is pretty decent down there. i'd stay away from the ghetto though, once we went to a mcdonalds in the ghetto and we saw aids victims and iv drug users everywhere :laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »
I did my usual Saturday-morning cleaning, but this time I decided everything could use a little dusting.

I've got these three HEPA air purifiers that I recently bought at Big Lots.  (That's a chain store that specializes in refurbishments and closeouts.)  They've got this radio-control thing that adjusts their fan speed depending on how much particulate matter passes through its sensor.

I've also got a two-gallon air compressor that I bought at Wallyworld a few years ago.  With something to knock the dust airborne and something to catch it out of the air, there's no better way to get rid of the dust.  So I fired up the compressor, attached the 25-foot hose, and started shooting compressed air on stuff, such as the slatted door to the a/c closet, the tops of books on shelves, the tops of doorjambs, the powerstrips under my computer desk, and so on.

All that took about an hour, during which time I turned the air purifiers up to full-blast so as to catch as much dust as possible quickly before it resettles.  After that, I vacuumed up all the dust bunnies and emptied the compressor.  It had collected quite a bit of moisture in its tank and I found that the drain valve is stuck so I couldn't drain it.  (Cheap piece of shit!)  Not all dust is easily blown away with compressed air, so some surfaces still needed dusting in the traditional manner.  The place feels a hell of a lot cleaner now.

How did it work out I have thought of doing something similar
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:54:45 PM »
Oh my! how are you liking phoenix dude? you wont be liking it in june july and august dude :laugh:
there supose to be getting a light rail tain system there i think, im shure public transportation is pretty decent down there. i'd stay away from the ghetto though, once we went to a mcdonalds in the ghetto and we saw aids victims and iv drug users everywhere :laugh:

It's ok. I want decent weather. It's fucking sunny and bright every
god damned day. I'll hate summer. The (mild) warmth now is making
me kinda ill.

As to the ghetto, I'm not in the worst section of town (I think),
but I'm pretty close to some nasty as hell neighborhoods. No worse than
what I've lived in before though. So long as it's just me, I don't mind.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »
How did it work out I have thought of doing something similar

There's still some dust in here, but not as bad as before.  One thing to be careful with is that the compressed air can damage lightweight stuff that isn't tied down, e.g. blow pictures off shelves.  Also, after a while, the compressor started blowing mist in the form of the moisture that condensed in its tank.  There will always be dust in any living space, but I figure that air-dusting as a once-a-year chore, and also three powerful air purifiers, will significantly cut down on dust.

What would you recommend if I were to replace that compressor in the future?  My gripes with it are that the tank was already rusting inside when it was new and that the drain plug could have been designed better so as to let all the water drip out when opened.  You can hear flakes of rust sloshing around in the water when it is moved, and when you drain it the water is the color of rust.  If I were to have one custom-made, I'd see if stainless steel tanks are available.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »
They all seem to be the same :-\ If it gets too rusty the air tank can rupture
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw