Educational

Author Topic: New drugs from doctor?  (Read 1046 times)

Sophgay

New drugs from doctor?
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »
I think I need some
I'm starting to realise nothing else works, so new meds might help
I know relatively little about drugs (compared to what most other people on these sites seem to know anyway), so thought I would ask here

I was on Prozac last year, but that was for anxiety
Had to quit because it made me stop eating so I got too thin, and made me nearly collapse at the top of some stairs (which is funny really)

Then Dosulepin for depression, but that didn't work I don't think
Now I want to try something else, but I know nothing about stuff like this
My anxiety isn't important, I can sort that out later, but I want something to help me get better
Does anyone know what I could try, or what I should ask about?

I'm not going to shoot myself for anything, but it is getting important, so any advice etc would be appreciated

richard

Re: New drugs from doctor?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
i would be open to taking a med if it would allow me to get my willy up, and actually make it spit something up every once inawile, otherwise uh no.

good luck in your quest for the right med for you :)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
There are so many different ones and they all work differently on different people.  I have prozac for my anxiety it works okay have not tried that many different ones though. For med advise from people who take them try this form http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/.  I post sometimes
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »
Soph- I think you want somehting for depression, but I'm not 100% sure- what do you mean by "get better," exactly?  As in, what symptoms are you hopeing to get rid of (because you said you can deal w/ansiety later)?  Is it specifically mood, or other stuff as well (sleep, anxiety, mood, physical symptoms, attention, etc)?  (I do follow your posts on the board somewhat, but am not totally sure.)

I think you're pretty young (are you 19 or 20? or am I remembering wrong?), and I know that some antidepressants can actually have a dangerous effect on people who are young and depressed, at least initially.  The one thing I would be able to reccommend, no matter what, is to make sure evryone you're living with/any people in your social network that you trust, know what new meds you're about to take, knows the potential side effects, and monitors you closely at least for awhile.  (It's a pain in the ass, but I did that going off of a heavy heavy med last summer- I was scared enough that I even told a couple of close friends, and asked them to tell me if they thought I was going off the deep end.  Headmeds are heavy stuff to go on or off.)

Not to advise for or against either way as far as meds, btw- whatever you need to do to take care of yourself, that's what you should do.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:54:14 AM by JLPMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Sophgay

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »
For depression mainly
I have physical symptoms I don't understand anymore, but i think more of them are because of depression (i started getting them after my friend died, and they havent gone away yet, so i don'/t think it's a medical problem). my sleeping sucks as well, but i think that will get better if i get rid of the depression.

i will be 20 in june yeah
If i get new meds, my mum would go with me to the doctor, so my family will know whats gonig on, and i don't go anywhere so dont see anyoje else outside my family ( except an autism support worker and maybe a psych soon)
i'm trying lots of other things to help me get better (stop the depressino), but nothing elsse is working, and it's just fucking me up now. i know drugs cant make it go away completely, but i think they can help me. and i'm making my family worry about me a lot, which just makes me feel guilty, so i need to fix it

i dont know what meds i need because i dont really know whats wrong with me
im depressed, but i dont know how. i think im a bit bipolar, but not enough to actual have the disorder
i need to get rid of my stupid fucking ocd as well, i'ts screwing me up so much i actually HATE it

richard

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
soph, your avatar looks like a fire agate. :)

i think the best med for anxiety depression, i think (and heard of) is wellbutrin. someone told me its like a stimilant that undepresses you, i might have to snort it i mean try it sometime :zoinks:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
my sleeping sucks as well, but i think that will get better if i get rid of the depression.
If you stay in bed for many hours, then you can expect your sleeping to suck. When I was really depressed, I did this and started to have really weird dreams which made it all even worse. A regular sleep pattern and getting some direct sunlight on you can help you feel better.

Some antidepressants can help OCD as well as depression. Lexapro does this as well as other SSRIs. Definitely stay away from the Prozac. Also as JLPMSElle said, any adverse effects, such as feeling even more depressed soon after starting any meds is a sign you should stop taking them IMMEDIATELY and tell someone you can trust the way you are feeling and go back to the doctor as soon as you can. I have known doctors who have not warned their patients about the adverse effects and so the patient ends up on even more meds to counteract the side-effects of the first medication.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »
The best advice is patience, I am still trying to find something that works for me. Albeit for a different set of reason to you (yes its a physical, not a mental issue!)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
wellbutrin is called hellbutrin by some people. be very careful with that if you take it. like Elle said, you should get your family and friends watching you closely, with any medication of course.

i know how much you want to gt rid of your OCD. have you ever considered cognitive behavioral therapy? i'd be too afraid to do it but it's helped some OCD people.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Sophgay

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »
im ill again
i think ive had a migraine but im so fucke dup i cant even tell
im all shakey now
my head hurts so fucking much i just want to shoot myself
and i have no energy left anymore

i stay in bed all the tome really
its my ocd too, if i stay in bed i dont have to do stuff
i went outside yesterdya but its so fucking cold

i had a mekltdown yesterday and hurt ym heada  lot
maybe thats why im ill

i get weird dreams as well
i keep dreaming about hfucking high school and i hate high school
and i had another death dream only i cant remember who it was this time
i need some codeine nut my mum is out

im just sick of this now

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »
I'm really sorry, Spoh.  :(

Lemonsquared is right, for OCD, CBT can be a pretty huge help.  It will likely be uncomfortable at first (I don't know what you have OCD about, but for example, if you have rituals, you'll at some point be asked to stop or at least delay them), but it sounds like you're pretty unhappy as far as the OCD goes anyway, so it might be worth going through the CBT even if it sucks.

About the sleep- Reneaden is right about that too.  I used to have awful, awful, awful insomnia, growing up.  The Zyprexa kinda took care of that, but when I went off of it, I was sorta on my own, but there's some stuff that helped me with that; at this point I can usually count on being able to sleep prolly within two hours at the very longest, and usually within an hour (and, for me, that's pretty good).  I'm not saying any'll work for you, but it's worth mentioning them in case there's any you haven't tried, or anyone else here with insomnia.  One is simply that I have to do a lot during the day, so sometimes at this point I go to bed and I actually conk out within half an hour like a "normal person," lol.  But other thah that, like stuff you can control:

-Do NOT watch the clock.  I used to do that, and it screws you up HORRIBLY.  I turn my alarm clock away from me and try not to look at the time even if I get up to use the bathroom or something.  Even aside from it helping me sleep, if I don't  know how much sleep I got, I try to just pretend it was a full seven or eight hours.
-Get rid of distracting noise.  I do that by having a fan running- I don't point it at me, but the white noise drowns everything else out.  My boyfriend sleeps with his ipod to mask all other nosie, though I think it sometimes gives him nightmares, lol.
-Don't have caffeine past midafternoon if you can help it.
-Exercise during the day if you can.  It actually helps with depression, too.  I started off taking a 2-3 mile walk every day, which I thought was going to be a pain in the ass at first, but I actually really liked doing it (especially walking around listening to music).  I'd just walk down to a grocery store or pharmacy, grab a soda, then walk back.  Had to stop because it got way too cold, lol.  Now I do DDR every morning, which I love because it involves concentration, so it's not only fun but I can't really think about stuff that's bugging me- it's sort of like meditation.  I also noticed that since I started doing it, I'm a lot warmer during the day (may or may not be coincidence)
-Try to see a lot of light- sunlight is best- during the day.  Tanning is of course dangerous, but if you don't see light, esepcially sunlight, for too long, it can make you all seasonal affect-y and mess up your sleep cycle.  Keep shades/blinds up as much as you can during the day while it's light out.  When it's dark early (if that happens where you live), if you can, turn on a lot of lights in a room and see if that makes you perk up a bit.
-Also get out of the house if you can- even just going to the store or somethign like that.  If I stay inside for more than a day at a time I start to get cabin fever.  That might be just me, of course, but I do know that when I feel lousy I tend to instictively want to stay inside and isolate, but it makes me worse if I do.  It used to also allow me to sleep for 13 hours a day sometimes- if I get more than 12, I'm fucked for the rest of the day, so I don't let myself any more.
-This might sound a little perverse, but- if you can get yourself off before going to sleep, it can be like a sleeping pill- plus, you might get distracted from the stuff that you'd normally be awake thinking about, or at least a little less emotionally attached to it.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Sophgay

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »
Nevermind that post
I think I had had a migraine and it wasn't going away properly so I was getting mad
I always exaggerate when I'm ill

wellbutrin is called hellbutrin by some people. be very careful with that if you take it. like Elle said, you should get your family and friends watching you closely, with any medication of course.

i know how much you want to gt rid of your OCD. have you ever considered cognitive behavioral therapy? i'd be too afraid to do it but it's helped some OCD people.

I've tried CBT for my anxiety before I think
Is that like talking to a counselor?
I suck at talking to people, I really do
That's why I think the only things that will help me, are things I do myself, things my family help me do, and drugs

Sophgay

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
I'm really sorry, Spoh.  :(
Thanks
Spoh lol People used to type that wrong all the time, that's how I got my old nickname, Spo :P

Lemonsquared is right, for OCD, CBT can be a pretty huge help.  It will likely be uncomfortable at first (I don't know what you have OCD about, but for example, if you have rituals, you'll at some point be asked to stop or at least delay them), but it sounds like you're pretty unhappy as far as the OCD goes anyway, so it might be worth going through the CBT even if it sucks.

I think I've had OCD since I was 8, but until the last couple years, it was just stupid stuff, like counting my steps, syllables, beats in songs, and things like that, which aren't hard to do and don't really disrupt your life. Except sometimes I'd get ill from leaning over to check under my bed repeatedly lol

But now I'm getting the germans stuff, so I'm having to get loads of showers, and getting changed into different clothes all the time, and the slightest thing can fuck up my day completely, to the point where it just seems pointless trying to get better, because even if I get the rest of my depression sorted, my ocd will still be there in the background, completely ruining my day 50% of the time

About the sleep- Reneaden is right about that too.  I used to have awful, awful, awful insomnia, growing up.  The Zyprexa kinda took care of that, but when I went off of it, I was sorta on my own, but there's some stuff that helped me with that; at this point I can usually count on being able to sleep prolly within two hours at the very longest, and usually within an hour (and, for me, that's pretty good).  I'm not saying any'll work for you, but it's worth mentioning them in case there's any you haven't tried, or anyone else here with insomnia.  One is simply that I have to do a lot during the day, so sometimes at this point I go to bed and I actually conk out within half an hour like a "normal person," lol.  But other thah that, like stuff you can control:
My mum doesn't like that I stay up all night and then fall asleep around 6 or 7am, so I've been trying to stop that and altely it's been working. But then because I'm not used to it, I get really tired and decide to have a couple hours slee[p in the afternoon. Then I'll wake up at about 11pm and I just can't face the thought of getting up and doing my OCD rituatls, because I'm so tired, so i just go back to bed for the night
But doing that means I sometimes end up in bed for 24 hours or more, which must be bad for me, not eating or drinking or going to the toilet. But getting up requires a lot of motivation because of the OCD stuff.

-Do NOT watch the clock.  I used to do that, and it screws you up HORRIBLY.  I turn my alarm clock away from me and try not to look at the time even if I get up to use the bathroom or something.  Even aside from it helping me sleep, if I don't  know how much sleep I got, I try to just pretend it was a full seven or eight hours.
-Get rid of distracting noise.  I do that by having a fan running- I don't point it at me, but the white noise drowns everything else out.  My boyfriend sleeps with his ipod to mask all other nosie, though I think it sometimes gives him nightmares, lol.
-Don't have caffeine past midafternoon if you can help it.
-Exercise during the day if you can.  It actually helps with depression, too.  I started off taking a 2-3 mile walk every day, which I thought was going to be a pain in the ass at first, but I actually really liked doing it (especially walking around listening to music).  I'd just walk down to a grocery store or pharmacy, grab a soda, then walk back.  Had to stop because it got way too cold, lol.  Now I do DDR every morning, which I love because it involves concentration, so it's not only fun but I can't really think about stuff that's bugging me- it's sort of like meditation.  I also noticed that since I started doing it, I'm a lot warmer during the day (may or may not be coincidence)
-Try to see a lot of light- sunlight is best- during the day.  Tanning is of course dangerous, but if you don't see light, esepcially sunlight, for too long, it can make you all seasonal affect-y.  Keep shades/blinds up as much as you can during the day while it's light out.  When it's dark early (if that happens where you live), if you can, turn on a lot of lights in a room and see if that makes you perk up a bit.
-Also get out of the house if you can- even just going to the store or somethign like that.  If I stay inside for more than a day at a time I start to get cabin fever.  That might be just me, of course, but I do know that when I feel lousy I tend to instictively want to stay inside and isolate, but it makes me worse if I do.
-This might sound a little perverse, but- if you can get yourself off before going to sleep, it can be like a sleeping pill- plus, you might get distracted from the stuff that you'd normally be awake thinking about, or at least a little less emotionally attached to it.
I've been drinking less fizzy stuff recently, except Lucozade now and then
The distractions thing is a big one for me
I don't deal with it well though, as I end up just switching the tv on and leaving that on while I try and sleep in the day
And that gives me weird dreams
It was worse when I left BBC News 24 on all day after my friend died, because I'd dream about stuf in the news, which isn;t nice usually lol
And I've been dreaming about people in my family dying since Sophie died, which sucks too

Since I quit uni in early January, I haven't been out
I went in the back garden yesterday for a while to play football and pick up weird conker things with my brother, but it was freezing so I didn't stay out long

My dad gave me some vouchers for xmas which i still havnet spent, so I coulg ask my mum to take me there and buy some games or something

And I miss the museum too, I used to walk up to there when I skipped lectures a lot in November/December, and that was the only palce I really went. So now it's weird just being in my room all the time

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
JLPMSElle has awesome ideas. Especially with sleep. Have to try some of those things myself. I also get tired mid-afternoon but I am now trying to stay up all day so then I sleep better at night. I find that the more tired I am when I go to bed at night, the less I dream. I have vivid bad dreams so I don't like to dream anymore.

I don't know much about OCD but I think you can be given practical things to do everyday by a counselor or something so you can distract yourself from doing OCD things. And not all counseling is the same.

It's good you went out with your brother, that kind of thing is small but it can help.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
Soph, i feel terrible you have to go through that kind of hell. i know how it feels, i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. i think you really need some medication for it, some anxiety medication or something that improves your serotonin level or whatnot... there's gotta be something.

CBT is a thing where a person helps you lessen your OCD little by little. if you feel up for it you could give it a try. just tell yourself you can stop the CBT any time it starts to feel too much. the germ phobia i think is the hardest to deal with but the most important to treat. if CBT or exposure therapy seems too much, then i think medication might help more.

i should go on some medication too, if i can get up the courage to go see a doc. sigh.

oh and is it possible for you to get your own bathroom if and when you move?

it could be risky in a sense that it would make you more terrified of other bathrooms but then again, you already are and this showering after touching the toilet thing is just too much to ask of you, maybe you could get your mom to understand how hard it is for you and how much you need your own bathroom.

also not eating and drinking can make it worse because your serotonin levels go down.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:22:39 AM by LemonSquared »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: