Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 401 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Earthquake
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
ANCHESTER, England - An earthquake struck Britain early Wednesday and was felt across large parts of the country. No injuries or damage were immediately reported.

The 4.7-magnitude quake struck at about 1 a.m. and was centered about 125 miles north of London, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"It was like a huge freight train outside the front door," Sky News reporter Lukwesa Burak reported from Leicestershire in central England. "The entire house seemed to shake."

Many other people in southern, central and northern England reported feeling their homes shaken by the earthquake in a country where such tremors are uncommon.

Any of you feel this?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Sophgay

Re: Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »
Anchester?
Is that Manchester?
I live there
I didn't feel anything though :(
I didn' feel it last time either though

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:31:20 AM »
I missed the M in Manchester when I cut and pasted it :-[

George Bernard Shaw

Sophgay

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:09 AM »
oh ok, i worked it out though :laugh:

i found it on the bbc website as well
it was about 1am here and i'd fallen asleep :(
usually i'm up at that time

some people from my college felt it though, apparently

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »
I am on the East Coast and we really don't get them a all here just wondering what it was like

George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
I am on the East Coast and we really don't get them a all here just wondering what it was like

I was in upstate NY when we had a 5.3-5.4 richter scale quake centered near Plattsburg about 7-8 years ago.  It happened at 6am and I was awake and looking out my window at the sky.  When I heard what sounded like a big rushing wind, like the kind that whips up before a thunderstorm arrives.  The only thing was the trees weren't moving.  The sound passes like a freight train and then next thing the house of my inlaws shakes for 7-10 seconds like somebody grabbed it and shook it.  (I was on the second floor of wood beam framed house)  Then everything stopped and there was dead silence.  The epicenter was up near Plattsburg, NY.

The earthquake was felt all over New England, it even shook walls and windows and knocked things off shelves as far away as Maine.  we heard all about it when we got back home.  Of course I was in the middle of it.  My daughter came out of the adjacent room wide eyed, but, not scared, we both felt it was cool to feel our first really good size earthquake.  It was my third, but the first two were pretty small and short.

richard

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »
i felt some earthquakes before when i was visiting my real dad, the ground moving is possibly the most wierd feeling a person can ever expeirance. besides having a sexchange operations

ozymandias

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »
i felt some earthquakes before when i was visiting my real dad, the ground moving is possibly the most wierd feeling a person can ever expeirance. besides having a sexchange operations

Where does your real dad live???  Arizona is a pretty geologically active area!   I have a book called "Roadside Geology of Arizona", it's 1 in a series of books designed for semi-scientific geeks like myself. 

Of course I wouldn't know anything about sexchange operations!   :P

duncvis

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:47 PM »
The quake was centred in north Lincs apparently, about 80 miles from here, and was around 5.2 magnitude. It woke PI up, but I was dozing at the computer and missed it.  :laugh:

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
I get paranoid that theirs going to be a tsunami because I live on the west coast of Canada in a group of islands in between the mainland and Vancouver Island.
Since I'm stuck in their I'm gonna be pwned  ::) that'l be the end of me.

I already have a theme song for this point in my life!

Park.

richard

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »
Where does your real dad live???
santa rosa, california

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
The quake was centred in north Lincs apparently, about 80 miles from here, and was around 5.2 magnitude. It woke PI up, but I was dozing at the computer and missed it.  :laugh:

So the Earth moved for PI!!   :eyebrows:

ozymandias

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
Where does your real dad live???
santa rosa, california

AH, good old California!  I spent a few days in Tustin California and never felt a thing.....I was so disappointed.  So far I'v felt 3 earthquakes here in the east, none in the several times I have been out west................go figure! 

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
I remember an earthquake in Maine in late 1981. I was up late, and I felt our house shudder slightly, as if it had settled a little more than usual. --It turned out that it was an earthquake that measured about Richter 6 a bit further downeast from Portland, where I was at the time.

I also remember in 1998 when I was living in Charlotte, NC. I heard a loud distant rumbling like thunder early one clear April morning. --It turnd out to be an earthquake of about the same strength epicentered near Greenville, SC. --I didn't feel anything from that one, though.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »

I was in upstate NY when we had a 5.3-5.4 richter scale quake centered near Plattsburg about 7-8 years ago.  It happened at 6am and I was awake and looking out my window at the sky.  When I heard what sounded like a big rushing wind, like the kind that whips up before a thunderstorm arrives.  The only thing was the trees weren't moving.  The sound passes like a freight train and then next thing the house of my inlaws shakes for 7-10 seconds like somebody grabbed it and shook it.  (I was on the second floor of wood beam framed house)  Then everything stopped and there was dead silence.  The epicenter was up near Plattsburg, NY.

The earthquake was felt all over New England, it even shook walls and windows and knocked things off shelves as far away as Maine.  we heard all about it when we got back home.  Of course I was in the middle of it.  My daughter came out of the adjacent room wide eyed, but, not scared, we both felt it was cool to feel our first really good size earthquake.  It was my third, but the first two were pretty small and short.

Well there have been a few in the Stamford Ct area but they where the type that most people don't notice but they make the paper I never noticed any  of them

George Bernard Shaw